Men becoming more revealing?

Men becoming more revealing?

Nat

March 8th, 2006, 10:21 pm #1

This may seem a bit off topic here, but I think we need something new to talk about and this week's Newsweek has a article about how the short snug swim-trunks of the '60s & '70s are coming back in style for men after years of long baggy swimsuits.

. . . . . . . . . . .

You can see more at: http://www.sauvagewear.com/store/collec ... etromodern

I think this could be relevant here as it may be an indication that the conservative body-hiding fashions of recent years is beginning to give way, and if men begin to show more skin perhaps women will feel more free to as well in other areas.

In any case, I wonder what everyone thinks of the return to more revealing men's swimware?

Melissa
Melissa

March 8th, 2006, 10:52 pm #2

Sounds great to me. Years ago in Cancun I talked my BF at the time into wearing a thong, something that he would never wear here in the states for fear of being thought gay. I thought he looked cute in it and he was into nude sunbathing just like me so liked not having almost no tan lines.

(Karen)
(Karen)

March 8th, 2006, 11:08 pm #3

This may seem a bit off topic here, but I think we need something new to talk about and this week's Newsweek has a article about how the short snug swim-trunks of the '60s & '70s are coming back in style for men after years of long baggy swimsuits.

. . . . . . . . . . .

I think this could be relevant here as it may be an indication that the conservative body-hiding fashions of recent years is beginning to give way, and if men begin to show more skin perhaps women will feel more free to as well in other areas.

In any case, I wonder what everyone thinks of the return to more revealing men's swimware?
I say way to go. Why should we women have all the fun of wearing the revealing clothes?

Karen, I put your name in since we are enforcing a "no-anonymous" post rule now. I know it's easy to forget. If you are logged in it will put your name in automatically.

-Nat
Last edited by Nat on March 8th, 2006, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Bayko
John Bayko

March 9th, 2006, 1:54 am #4

. . . . . . . . . . .

"I think this could be relevant here as it may be an indication that the conservative body-hiding fashions of recent years is beginning to give way [...]"

I would take it as an indication that about a year ago a bunch of clothing suppliers decided to make a line of more revealing, retro bathing suits for men, and now the PR pieces are being published. But I won't know for sure unless there are a bunch of other "news" stories commenting on this "trend".

I posted about the workings of the fashion industry here earlier, when the "trend" written about everywhere was the "return to conservatism" among high school girls returning to school (which never happened, in the end). Here's the post:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/157869/m ... n+articles

Nat

March 9th, 2006, 2:11 am #5

Yes, you are quite right, a news article does not make a trend. But I think the fact that a main-stream news magazine like Newsweek considered this worthy of note gives it more substance than if a fashion magazine which jumps at every pip had reported it. And fashion does change over time- and it seems to me that the long and baggy look in male fashion has been around long enough that people are ready for a change. In any case, I submitted it what it's worth- and to find something new to talk about other than the flame war that's been going on for three days.

Bob
Bob

March 9th, 2006, 2:20 am #6

. . . . . . . . . . .

I think the willingness of the average male to wear skimpier outfits would depend upon his physique and how he feels about the way that he looks. With the high prevalence of obesity in U.S., including among young people, I'm doubting that a large percentage of males here would feel comfortable showing more skin. If they looked like the guy in the picture, maybe they would, but a chunky bod doesn't inspire one to show it off. Also, I'd think only certain areas of the U.S. -- mostly southern, coastal areas -- would see many men wearing such items.

peter
peter

March 9th, 2006, 2:26 am #7

I have to agree with you there. Most males don't look like that photo. Those that do already wear those skimpier clothes trend or not. Those that are "average " will continue to hide.

Nat

March 9th, 2006, 2:58 am #8

I think the willingness of the average male to wear skimpier outfits would depend upon his physique and how he feels about the way that he looks. With the high prevalence of obesity in U.S., including among young people, I'm doubting that a large percentage of males here would feel comfortable showing more skin. If they looked like the guy in the picture, maybe they would, but a chunky bod doesn't inspire one to show it off. Also, I'd think only certain areas of the U.S. -- mostly southern, coastal areas -- would see many men wearing such items.
Well I'm old enough to remember back in the '60s and '70s when that's what the typical male wore. In fact, those were would have been considered conservative, many wore suits that were more like briefs. The long baggy trunks like are common today were something only old men wore back then. But I will grant you- the average young male of today is carrying around a lot more pounds then those 30-40 years ago. Even that model has a visible spare tire.

peter
peter

March 9th, 2006, 3:01 am #9

I know, I remember wearing speedos as well. Todays emphasis is to have the perfect body and if one doesn't, male or female, we retreat into the baggy zone because we don't measure up. The ad industry has done a wonderful job on the American psyche.

peter
peter

March 9th, 2006, 3:06 am #10

Well I'm old enough to remember back in the '60s and '70s when that's what the typical male wore. In fact, those were would have been considered conservative, many wore suits that were more like briefs. The long baggy trunks like are common today were something only old men wore back then. But I will grant you- the average young male of today is carrying around a lot more pounds then those 30-40 years ago. Even that model has a visible spare tire.
I know, I remember wearing the speedos as well. Unfortunately the society we live in has decided that a normal average body is not atractive and tells us (male and female alike) this in all medias. As long as the ad industry dictates what is acceptable, all of the average will continue to live in the baggy zone.