Mannequins

Mannequins

Boreas
Boreas

October 10th, 2004, 3:12 pm #1

I think the topic of nipple-less mannequins has been discussed in this board. I was at a store yesterday and saw that all the mannequins in the store had quite prominent nipples. They looked like they could be bra-free, though it was fairly subtle.

They were quite tasteful and attractive.

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

October 10th, 2004, 5:06 pm #2

Well, that is encouraging.

Andy
Andy

October 10th, 2004, 6:24 pm #3

I think the topic of nipple-less mannequins has been discussed in this board. I was at a store yesterday and saw that all the mannequins in the store had quite prominent nipples. They looked like they could be bra-free, though it was fairly subtle.

They were quite tasteful and attractive.
Where did this idea that nipples aren't attractive come from anyway?

michaela
michaela

October 10th, 2004, 8:09 pm #4

That is what I'd like to know, Andy. And why are people so offended by them? And in another post way down the page there was a remark made in a humourous tone about jiggling being unprofessional. I wonder why it is considered unprofessional to jiggle?

meredith
meredith

October 11th, 2004, 1:33 am #5

My guess is that some people find anything reminding them of natural body functions distasteful. In this case, it is the expression of maternal love through nuturing babies. The cost of this attitude to both the physical health and mental well-being of babies is enormous.

bn
bn

October 11th, 2004, 11:49 am #6

I don't think anyone finds them unattractive. Many people just define them as "private parts" and that they belong covered/hidden

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

October 11th, 2004, 1:01 pm #7

I suspect there are multiple motivations here. In some ways the sight of a nipple mark protruding through clothing is too 'in your face' for those people who cannot cope with the idea that women have breasts. All they can cope with is that there is a bit of a bulge in the upper part of the body, but nothing that actually looks like a breast.

Then there are those who think that bodies are unclean and unnatural, and that anything that comes out of a body, such as milk is unclean.

I am not sure how you help people like this who see sin around every corner, and beauty around none.

Nat

October 11th, 2004, 8:11 pm #8

I think its interesting that "bumps" in a shirt can be perceived as sexy or vulgar, according to the mind of the viewer.

Even more interesting is the fact that those bumps could be anything- like buttons sowed on a tissue-paper stuffed bra of a flat-chested female impersonator.

I recall back in the 1970s, before we became so nipple-shy, seeing ads for bras with "nipples" sowed on the front, for those who's nipples weren't perky enough. Now they sell pads to put in bras to hide nipples! Talk about going full circle.

John Bayko
John Bayko

October 11th, 2004, 8:44 pm #9

That is what I'd like to know, Andy. And why are people so offended by them? And in another post way down the page there was a remark made in a humourous tone about jiggling being unprofessional. I wonder why it is considered unprofessional to jiggle?
"I wonder why it is considered unprofessional to jiggle?"

I imagine because it's distracting - in the same way that wearing a clown nose would be unprofessional because it's distracting.

However I don't know why some distracting things are considered "acceptable".

michaela
michaela

October 11th, 2004, 10:01 pm #10

Forgive me if I seem contentious, but a clown nose is not a normal part of a person, and jiggling breasts are normal. Unless one is bound up in an un-normal bra.