Male ankles and no-show socks

Male ankles and no-show socks

Nat

September 26th, 2007, 5:19 pm #1

OK how about a light topic for a change?

While it not exactly a new, I continue to be puzzled by the popularity of low-cut no-show socks- especially among teens. I remember years ago girls sometimes wore short socks with little pom-pom things on the back. I always thought that was dorky looking. Ofcourse guys wouldn't dream of wearing such things.

Well the pom-poms are gone but now these no-show socks are everywhere. Even boys wear them now. In fact, from what I read in teen forums it is considered totally nerdy to wear 'old fashion' over-the ankle socks now a days.

I might understand girls wearing these things- but when did the male ankle become something worthy of display?

Cool beans boi
Cool beans boi

September 26th, 2007, 6:16 pm #2

First off, Nat you should be happy, at least boys are showing some skin
Secondly, it is just a fashion thing. High socks are kind of "old mannish" so young guys want to look different.
Personally I think the lower socks look so much neater than the higher ones. I personally wear the ones that go right above the ankle.

Nat

September 26th, 2007, 7:48 pm #3

I'm surprise you don't have a problem with them slipping down inside your shoes.
I remember when I was a kid I had some fairly short (but still above the ankle) socks that were always slipping down. Damn I hated those things! In fact, I thought that's why low-cuts use to have those silly pom-poms on them to keep them from doing that.

Cool beans boi
Cool beans boi

September 26th, 2007, 8:47 pm #4

You'd be surprised how strong the elastic is on those. I guess Mr Pitt (Seinfeld) would not like them eithier LOL

Brandon
Brandon

September 26th, 2007, 10:45 pm #5

First off, Nat you should be happy, at least boys are showing some skin
Secondly, it is just a fashion thing. High socks are kind of "old mannish" so young guys want to look different.
Personally I think the lower socks look so much neater than the higher ones. I personally wear the ones that go right above the ankle.
Around here, it seems like young guys are into wearing just flip flops all the time even with dress slacks.

Nat

September 26th, 2007, 11:34 pm #6

That must get kind of cold in the winter time.

You know, about the only advantage to getting old is that you have seen a lot of fads/fashions come and go. Kind of give you a perspective.
Right now I think the fashions are the worse ever.
I will sure be happy to see the current baggy/saggy pants go.
Can't believe it has lasted as long as it has.

Brandon
Brandon

September 26th, 2007, 11:54 pm #7

I may be wrong, but I don't think we will ever go back to short shorts being in style for guys like they were in the late 70s and early 80s. I think those kind of shorts are just too associated with the gay community.

I'm not saying clothes won't get tighter or shorts won't get shorter, but I don't think it will ever go back to 1980. Even I (modest guy that I am) find it strange how long swimsuits for guys are these day, they might as well wear long pants. I think the NBA has a rule that basketball shorts have to be above the knee, but I don't think the NCAA does because some college teams look like the guys are playing in dresses.

Nat

September 27th, 2007, 12:22 am #8

Yes, I think you are right Brandon. They say fashion repeats itself but I don't expect to see the mini-skirts, short-shorts, "No-bra" tops, speedos, and skin-tight stretch jeans again- at least not in my life time.

Fashions today are like today's cars- dull and boring.

Nat

September 27th, 2007, 1:58 pm #9

OK how about a light topic for a change?

While it not exactly a new, I continue to be puzzled by the popularity of low-cut no-show socks- especially among teens. I remember years ago girls sometimes wore short socks with little pom-pom things on the back. I always thought that was dorky looking. Ofcourse guys wouldn't dream of wearing such things.

Well the pom-poms are gone but now these no-show socks are everywhere. Even boys wear them now. In fact, from what I read in teen forums it is considered totally nerdy to wear 'old fashion' over-the ankle socks now a days.

I might understand girls wearing these things- but when did the male ankle become something worthy of display?
I think this just proves a point I was making to Bob about braless or topless women a while back. He thinks they could never be accepted by society. Well 50 years ago guys going to school with bare ankles was just as radical. After all- half the purpose of socks was to hide those hairy bony things! I remember in the early 1960s the rebel guys at school began going socklesss just to bug people- and it did- I remember hearing all sorts of comments about how "gross, tacky, ugly" it was.

Isn't it ironic that here in 2007 bare male ankles are the 'in'-thing and totally accepted? This shows how much societies ideas change- and that something radical today- like braless or even topless women could be normal in another generation.

Cool beans boi
Cool beans boi

September 27th, 2007, 2:18 pm #10

Nat, you are forgetting one thing: in a male dominated society such as ours, men will never allow women to go as free as men. So unless the power structure changes here, women will never go topless in public as easily as men show their ankles.