Lizzie Maguire

Lizzie Maguire

January 23rd, 2005, 6:46 am #1

I saw this particular episode during my winter break from work (between Christmas and New Years) but have been to busy with other things to post until now (sorry!). Anyway, this particular episode focused on Lizzie's first bra-shopping experience (by the way, I don't watch the show regularly, but wanted to see this episode to see if it could inspire discussion on this forum, and I think that it can). At the beginning of the episode, Lizzie and her friend look at a couple of female classmates who wear bras and tell each other that those girls are better because they wear bras; the female athlete is a better athlete, and the popular girl is more popular. Therefore, Lizzie and her friend decide to get bras in order to become more popular. However, because they are embarrassed about the idea of shopping for bras, when they ask Lizzie's mom to take them shopping at the mall, they tell her that they need to buy things for a school project. At the mall, they quickly tell her mom that they are grown-up and can shop for and buy bras on their own, and convince her to give them the money to do so. But when they start looking for bras, they are confused by the cup and band sizes and soon return to Lizzie's mom for help (but not before also running into a couple of popular girls who tease Lizzie and her friend about being babies). Here's what I got from the episode:

1. Even though the producers of this episode played the situation for laughs, they still sent the message that in order to fit in at school, a postpubescent girl needs to wear a bra.

2. First-time bra-shopping is an uncomfortable experience for young girls.

3. Parents need to tell their daughters to be more familiar and more comfortable with their breasts so that 1 and 2 aren't an issue.

Any thoughts?

Nat

January 23rd, 2005, 2:47 pm #2

I think you have summed the situation up well, Matt.

I was just thinking if there is a male equivalent to this situation?
There doesn't seem to be since there is no garment that males suddenly begin wearing at a particular age.
Even jockstraps are not routinely worn, and many males don't wear them at all.
The bra really is a unique garment in this respect which I guess is why it so captivating to girls.

EuropeMan
EuropeMan

January 23rd, 2005, 7:46 pm #3

>>I was just thinking if there is a male equivalent to this situation?
The tie?

Eiffel
Eiffel

January 23rd, 2005, 8:08 pm #4

Not quite the same! Sorry....

Nat

January 23rd, 2005, 8:09 pm #5

The tie?
Is a tie something guys look forward to wearing? I don't think so!
I sure didn't! I hated the years I had to wear one at work.
I'd rather make less money and enjoy a loose comfortable open collar shirt!

JB
JB

January 24th, 2005, 2:54 am #6

The tie?
YES, the tie. I knew there was a reason I could not stand the things.

Nat
Nat

January 24th, 2005, 3:05 am #7

If women hated bras as much as men hate ties we might not need this forum!

JB
JB

January 24th, 2005, 3:16 am #8

I think that bras have some sort of symbolism and that the same can be said for ties.
When one wears a bra, it is often because "that is just how things are done" so it is in a sense giving up part of one's freedom in order to conform. It's the same when a man is told he must wear a tie and I think it is more evident with the tie since it is obvious that a necktie has no useful purpose.

Nat
Nat

January 24th, 2005, 3:26 am #9

Yes, I can't think of a more useless garment than a man's heck tie.
It's amazing that it has hung on so long.

Legolas
Legolas

January 24th, 2005, 6:19 pm #10

I think you have summed the situation up well, Matt.

I was just thinking if there is a male equivalent to this situation?
There doesn't seem to be since there is no garment that males suddenly begin wearing at a particular age.
Even jockstraps are not routinely worn, and many males don't wear them at all.
The bra really is a unique garment in this respect which I guess is why it so captivating to girls.
First razor?