Let's Try "Brain Freedom" First

Let's Try "Brain Freedom" First

Bob
Bob

October 21st, 2005, 10:37 pm #1

Other posters have aptly noted that the biggest change will come, not when breasts are freed, but when minds are. We get been enculturated to believe many things . . among them, that certain body parts must be harnessed and others can be uncovered for public view, and the do's and dont's often have little to do with facts and reason.

The same is true of speech rights. We say (in U.S.) that we value "free speech", but our reactions to what we hear clearly show that many want "freedom of speech" extended only to those they personally agree with. I hear the conservative radio talk hosts claim to champion "truth" and "freedom," but as soon as anyone with an opposing viewpoint (who likely spent an hour or more waiting to speak) gets on, they are quickly shouted down and cut off. The same goes for the liberal faction, who . . having less access to the airwaves . . . attend lecture appearances by those they disagree with and proceed to try to shout them down and prevent them from speaking.

Some on this forum also want to silence those they disagree with . . . this seems to be an unfortunate epidemic. I think that all of us who value free speech and free debate need to stand up and object to this censorship. I am not afraid of hearing all sides . . . are you?

JB
JB

October 21st, 2005, 10:51 pm #2

Please stop pretending that we are wrong because we were offended by YOUR rudeness.

Nat

October 21st, 2005, 10:56 pm #3

Other posters have aptly noted that the biggest change will come, not when breasts are freed, but when minds are. We get been enculturated to believe many things . . among them, that certain body parts must be harnessed and others can be uncovered for public view, and the do's and dont's often have little to do with facts and reason.

The same is true of speech rights. We say (in U.S.) that we value "free speech", but our reactions to what we hear clearly show that many want "freedom of speech" extended only to those they personally agree with. I hear the conservative radio talk hosts claim to champion "truth" and "freedom," but as soon as anyone with an opposing viewpoint (who likely spent an hour or more waiting to speak) gets on, they are quickly shouted down and cut off. The same goes for the liberal faction, who . . having less access to the airwaves . . . attend lecture appearances by those they disagree with and proceed to try to shout them down and prevent them from speaking.

Some on this forum also want to silence those they disagree with . . . this seems to be an unfortunate epidemic. I think that all of us who value free speech and free debate need to stand up and object to this censorship. I am not afraid of hearing all sides . . . are you?
There has never been a problem with disagreeing with ideas here. We do that all the time. But there is a distinct difference between attacking a poster's ideas, and attacking the poster.

Bob
Bob

October 22nd, 2005, 12:19 am #4

"personal attacks" from "personal expression."

Someone calls a conservative talk host and says, "We need to support the average working person, and stop furthering enriching the wealthy" . . and that talk host repackages this, saying, "You hate the rich! You are jealous of people who have ability, who worked hard and made something of themselves. You want every lazy person to live a life they never worked for! You hate America and everything our Founding Fathers stood for!"

And the liberal newspaper columnist gets a letter that reads, "You are always bashing the people who created the REAL wealth in this country. Without the risk-takers, the entrepreneurs, the average person would have no place to work and no way to live a lifestyle that exceeds that of any other working or middle class in the world!" And the columnist might write, "People like this writer are the ones who continue to re-elect the politicians who keep us at war based upon false pretenses, a war that enriches the politicians and their rich buddies, while average Americans send their kids off to die and are themselves impoverished by crushing national and personal debts. They must have disdain for, even hate, the average American worker, especially those who don't look and act like them!"

So, who's right? . . . both? neither? I think NEITHER side wants to look at the truths of the other. So, they attack the other . . and claim to be attacked themselves. And all the while, nothing gets done, and the status quo goes on uncontested. The pols continue to get elected and ride the gravy train. The lecturers continue to ride ther lucrative lecture circuits . . and sell their books . . and nothing at all changes.

Learn from it.

October 22nd, 2005, 12:29 am #5

Do you have a learning disability that you have not confromted yet? There is medication out there for you, just ask me and I'll be more than happy to suggest a few.
Some will actually take care or at least reduce the paranoid symptoms you have been exhibiting thru most of your posts. S. Freud devoted much of his studies to individuals just like you with excellent results. They still wanted to sleep with thier mothers, but they were less depressed and accepted themselves for who they were.
Please open your mind...get help and learn from it.

peter

October 22nd, 2005, 12:30 am #6

I forgot .....was I just joking? hmmmmm.

peter

October 22nd, 2005, 12:33 am #7

Please stop pretending that we are wrong because we were offended by YOUR rudeness.
It seems we have been hijacked.( thanks for your support JB )

Bob
Bob

October 22nd, 2005, 12:55 am #8

I forgot .....was I just joking? hmmmmm.

peter
Joke if you must (I understand humor). I would prefer that you reply on-topic.

Nat

October 22nd, 2005, 12:58 am #9

"personal attacks" from "personal expression."

Someone calls a conservative talk host and says, "We need to support the average working person, and stop furthering enriching the wealthy" . . and that talk host repackages this, saying, "You hate the rich! You are jealous of people who have ability, who worked hard and made something of themselves. You want every lazy person to live a life they never worked for! You hate America and everything our Founding Fathers stood for!"

And the liberal newspaper columnist gets a letter that reads, "You are always bashing the people who created the REAL wealth in this country. Without the risk-takers, the entrepreneurs, the average person would have no place to work and no way to live a lifestyle that exceeds that of any other working or middle class in the world!" And the columnist might write, "People like this writer are the ones who continue to re-elect the politicians who keep us at war based upon false pretenses, a war that enriches the politicians and their rich buddies, while average Americans send their kids off to die and are themselves impoverished by crushing national and personal debts. They must have disdain for, even hate, the average American worker, especially those who don't look and act like them!"

So, who's right? . . . both? neither? I think NEITHER side wants to look at the truths of the other. So, they attack the other . . and claim to be attacked themselves. And all the while, nothing gets done, and the status quo goes on uncontested. The pols continue to get elected and ride the gravy train. The lecturers continue to ride ther lucrative lecture circuits . . and sell their books . . and nothing at all changes.

Learn from it.
A lot of half-truths are thrown around on both sides but the fact is a college degree is a virtual prerequisite for any good-paying job in today's society so its not surprising that most successful people come from well to do families who could afford to provide them with the education and connections necessary for a successful career. This was certainly the case of right-wing blowhard Rush Limbaugh who's father was a wealthy attorney who owned the radio station that Rush started his career at. But he never tells you that does he?

scott
scott

October 22nd, 2005, 1:29 am #10

Free speech means you can disagree, and it means everyone else can disagree with you.

That's what makes it so difficult. It's great when everyone agrees with you, but voice an opinion that is different from the 'norm', say opposition to the 'holy war' in the middle east, then you are sticking your head above the grass. It's fine to be labeled a 'bush basher,' because those people are just voicing their opinions as well.

What we CANNOT do, is give up the right to disagree at the top of our lungs. So I don't mind if people don't share my opinions, I don't ask them to shut up, and I won't shut up just because they don't like to hear me.