Left handed cancer risk

Left handed cancer risk

John Bayko
John Bayko

September 27th, 2005, 12:39 am #1

According to a new study from the Netherlands, left handed women face an increased risk of breast-cancer:

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050926/ ... 926-3.html

Obviously being left-handed does not cause breast cancer, but the researchers think there may be something that may influence both - exposure to certain hormones in the womb, or possibly hormone-like chemicals like those increasingly being found as pollutants in the environment.

To put these results in perspective, the correlation is higher than that for the known "breast cancer genes", but lower than for wearing bras.

BTW, if you're read this in a local paper, check the link above anyway - Nature is a respected peer-reviewed science magazine, and is far more accurate than "science" reporters in most newspapers or magazines.

Nat

September 27th, 2005, 1:02 am #2

One thing I've learned about these studies, if you go to PubMed or Medline and look up the research on a particular topic- you are likely to find ten studies that say one thing, and another ten studies that say exactly the opposite.

Anudist
Anudist

September 27th, 2005, 2:36 am #3

My father was not one for the use of statistics. His favorite quote when it came to statistics was:

"Sources have found that 100% of the people who ate carrots in the year 1800 have now died, therefore, carrots must be harmful and shoudl be banned."

Unfortunatly, this dislike of statistics carried over to me but statistics can be very valid in business and should NOT be ignored as I have learned.

The most important thing to learn is that they are INDICATORS and require futher study and analysis to verify the validity.

JB
JB

September 27th, 2005, 2:43 am #4

According to a new study from the Netherlands, left handed women face an increased risk of breast-cancer:

Obviously being left-handed does not cause breast cancer, but the researchers think there may be something that may influence both - exposure to certain hormones in the womb, or possibly hormone-like chemicals like those increasingly being found as pollutants in the environment.

To put these results in perspective, the correlation is higher than that for the known "breast cancer genes", but lower than for wearing bras.

BTW, if you're read this in a local paper, check the link above anyway - Nature is a respected peer-reviewed science magazine, and is far more accurate than "science" reporters in most newspapers or magazines.
I did not see anything about bra wearing in that article. Was I not looking closely enough?

Anudist
Anudist

September 27th, 2005, 2:44 pm #5

I have a problem with this that came up last night....

A woman friend I know, was talking about the study and making "light" of the fact that since she was right handed, she needn't worry about breast cancer.

This made me concerned. This woman is well educated and intelligent but still doesn't seem concerned about the threat of Breast Cancer and from subsequent discussion, she is NOT doing the self exam although she is now in her 40's.

I lost my mother to breast cancer because she found a lump but didn't react enough to have it examined in time to save her life, she waited and by that time the cancer had spread and she died after a great deal of pain and suffering.

John Bayko
John Bayko

September 28th, 2005, 12:59 am #6

With so many things in the world to worry about, people have to prioritize. They don't always prioritize correctly, though.

My response would be to ask her just how hard a breast self-exam is for her to do, that she can't do it even once a month.

On the other hand, if she has a lover, that might be the perosn to convince - women normally enjoy things that extend foreplay...

John Bayko
John Bayko

September 28th, 2005, 1:01 am #7

I did not see anything about bra wearing in that article. Was I not looking closely enough?
There was nothing about bra-wearing in that article. I mentioned that as an addendum.