Kill Bill

Kill Bill

michaela
michaela

May 16th, 2005, 3:18 am #1

You all will be happy to hear that the Texas House killed that bill that would regulate the routines and costumes of cheerleaders. It was tossed because of the greater concern for school finance. The Houston Representitive that brought the bill said it was not over, that they would bring it back.

peter
peter

May 16th, 2005, 3:23 am #2

the sooner the better.

Adelle
Adelle

May 16th, 2005, 4:29 am #3

Ya, so it can be killed again. Maybe, eventually, people will be able to make they're own choices about what they do and do not wish to see and let other's decide for themselves. I prefer education over censorship; even (especially) regarding sexuality because you never know what a censor will decide you can't see or can't do next. Like, you can't expose naked breasts, you must wear at least two layers of clothing (bra) and no one under the age of 18 can wear clothing of a revealing nature, like a tee or halter-top and short skirt. (A quick look at history will provide lots of examples and there is no reason these can’t be repeated if we let them.) Once you let others make some decisions for you, you shouldn’t expect to be allowed to make other decisions for yourself. If it is legal and benign, it should be a matter of personal choice.

peter
peter

May 16th, 2005, 11:44 am #4

Unlike our neigbours to the north, in Texas untill a CHILD is eighteen the parents are responsible for them mind body and soul. With that in mind if parents object to what their CHILD is being exposed to they have the RIGHT to fight for what they believe in.
I personally don't approve of the type of routines that are found objectionable by the individuals pushing the bill, and were it put to a vote I will be for it, it is my RIGHT to do so.
Down here things are a bit different, we believe in the system and use it.

bn
bn

May 16th, 2005, 11:58 am #5

Peter, I have to agree, the routines are getting out of hand, in fact, my issue with the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction the coreography leading up to it, not the display of skin itself. I think the same principle applies here.

I think a law is the wrong place to address this. It should be addressed in the states ruling body for the schools but also in the compititions as well.

Of course, if parents had enough common sense to object to the schools in the first place, maybe things would not have gotten this out of hand.

michaela
michaela

May 16th, 2005, 12:30 pm #6

I agree with this bill too. Only because I have seen a change in the type of display given by these minor citizens at the sporting events attended by families. Adelle is pro freedom of sexuality, and so are we all, but there is a place and a time for such displays of overt sexuality, and a dance at an open football stadium is not the place.

I am curious about the origen of this bill. Did parents complain to schoold districts? Did they find themselves talking to walls? This part of the story is missing. I only heard about it when it was already being brought into the legislation process.

I personally believe as Peter does, that we have the right to speak out when we see something we want changed. This isn't a case of censorship. All the dance clubs are still open for business.

Rusty
Rusty

May 16th, 2005, 12:58 pm #7

The parents may have complained to the schools and had no responce. If that happened, what could they do but go up the ladder to attempt change.

Adelle
Adelle

May 16th, 2005, 2:58 pm #8

Peter, I have to agree, the routines are getting out of hand, in fact, my issue with the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction the coreography leading up to it, not the display of skin itself. I think the same principle applies here.

I think a law is the wrong place to address this. It should be addressed in the states ruling body for the schools but also in the compititions as well.

Of course, if parents had enough common sense to object to the schools in the first place, maybe things would not have gotten this out of hand.
By all means object, speak out, organized, petition, protest, picket. With enough pressure at the local level the school/school admin will respond. If enough people are not offended or believe as you do (or if people are not willing to make the effort) then the popular support is not there. Perhaps they are going too far – for you. If they go too far for a lot of “yous” then you have a voice, otherwise the majority has spoken (even by not bothering to speak). So then what? Do we get the state/federal government involved because we didn't get our way at the local level? Do we enlist some holier-than-thou politician who makes the issue a crusade against the works of Satan? When do we get the Taliban style Morality Police? Oppression, like freedom, is nurtured one law at a time (remember, Hitler was elected). Repeat: I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the (Satanist) party.?

Nat

May 16th, 2005, 3:29 pm #9

It does seem odd that the parents who attend these events, even the parents of the cheerleaders, did not find the routines objectionable enough to complain or withdrawn their participation.

Whenever politicians get involved in local matters such as this I wonder if their motive might be- dare I say it?- political?

michaela
michaela

May 16th, 2005, 3:31 pm #10

By all means object, speak out, organized, petition, protest, picket. With enough pressure at the local level the school/school admin will respond. If enough people are not offended or believe as you do (or if people are not willing to make the effort) then the popular support is not there. Perhaps they are going too far – for you. If they go too far for a lot of “yous” then you have a voice, otherwise the majority has spoken (even by not bothering to speak). So then what? Do we get the state/federal government involved because we didn't get our way at the local level? Do we enlist some holier-than-thou politician who makes the issue a crusade against the works of Satan? When do we get the Taliban style Morality Police? Oppression, like freedom, is nurtured one law at a time (remember, Hitler was elected). Repeat: I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the (Satanist) party.?
Why is it that when ever help is enlisted in the form of law some people equate it with extremist, fundamentalist, satanist, terrorist, moralist, oppression? We have police forces at work every day to enforce the simple law of speed limits and drunk driving laws to help keep us from killing each other. Do they oppress you? Do they constitute a cramp in your freedom style? I know it is not the same thing as a law preventing cheerleaders from dancing like they are having sex on the football field, but law is there to assist people in keeping a relative order. Would you prefer there be no law whatsoever? And would you prefer there be no way to have a voice?