Kate Todd is dead!

Kate Todd is dead!

Adelle
Adelle

May 25th, 2005, 3:04 am #1

On NCIS tonight, Special Agent Kate Todd was shot through the head by a terrorist sniper. I watched as a small red dot appeared in her forehead and the back of her head exploded outward and she fell to the ground. Once I got over the fact they had killed off one of my fav characters I realized, once again, the double standard of our time. The producers and network could show me a person’s death in all its glory but two episodes ago, when the characters were taking showers to decontaminate, they could not show Kate’s naked breasts (or butt or ‘front-bottom’). The males, yes, but not hers. The FCC freaked over JJ but will we hear anything from them regarding this incident (and many others in many shows)? Once again nudity or semi-nudity is taboo while gruesome death is totally accepted. And they wonder why we have a problem with violence? Is our society fucked, or what???

Nat

May 25th, 2005, 4:42 am #2

I have lamented many times about the strange standards our socity has when it comes to violence and nudity.
Like why it's ok to show someone getting their head blown off but don't dare show a female nipple.
And the very same people who would complain the loudest about the "indecency" a bare nipple are fervent defenders of guns and violence.
I can't begin to understand or explain the rationale behind this.

JB
JB

May 25th, 2005, 5:13 am #3

On NCIS tonight, Special Agent Kate Todd was shot through the head by a terrorist sniper. I watched as a small red dot appeared in her forehead and the back of her head exploded outward and she fell to the ground. Once I got over the fact they had killed off one of my fav characters I realized, once again, the double standard of our time. The producers and network could show me a person’s death in all its glory but two episodes ago, when the characters were taking showers to decontaminate, they could not show Kate’s naked breasts (or butt or ‘front-bottom’). The males, yes, but not hers. The FCC freaked over JJ but will we hear anything from them regarding this incident (and many others in many shows)? Once again nudity or semi-nudity is taboo while gruesome death is totally accepted. And they wonder why we have a problem with violence? Is our society fucked, or what???
I don't usually watch NCIS but I saw the last few minutes tonight. If they wanted to shock the audience, they succeeded tonight. Did you notice that after the agent got shot in the head, the rest of the agents just stood there and didn't duck for cover?

EuropeMan
EuropeMan

May 25th, 2005, 6:23 am #4

There is some difference with the actual showing of breasts:

"Online Death" in a film or video is always fake, often even made more spectacular and bloodful than a real case.

Some special videomakers are featuring "actors" really shot death, and that's circulating in the underground market. These are completely censored on the normal market (and be sure, I'm not complaining, nor advocating this practice).
Similarly on doesn't broadcast the capital executions, though they are still performed in advanced countries like the US.

Fake breasts, or fake nudity, are more accepted on the media than real ones: paintings or artistic photography, statues, etc are generally accepted, even often in a film - the character is nude, not the actor/actress. I have seen documentaries ("making of") where one sees the naked actress during the shots, and as soon as the shot is finished she is very fast taking on a robe.

The nudity of the character is fake, the one of the performer would be real. Similarly, a documentary over a nudist resort - which would include real people's nudity - has quite often genitals or butts scrambled. Same with music clips, etc

Legolas
Legolas

May 25th, 2005, 8:08 am #5

Well, thanks a lot for the spoiler - NOT! (cable TV over here is
at least a season behind you).

Anyway, in one of the first episodes Kate Todd made a comment that
relates to this forum: when asked by her former colleague from
the Secret Service what it felt like not having to wear a formal
suit to work every day, she replied "Now I understand how my
mother felt when she burned her bra".

bn
bn

May 25th, 2005, 10:43 am #6

I liked the Kate Todd character and am disappointed they killed her off. I also agree, we are way to quick to block nudity but accept violence.

JB
JB

May 25th, 2005, 9:27 pm #7

Nudity is part of life in the sense that we (most of us) are naked when we bathe and perhaps at other times... oh and we are born that way too.

Violence should not be part of life at all. I see boxing and I change the channel or turn the box off.

Nat

May 25th, 2005, 9:49 pm #8

This is a good point, JB- nudity is more "natural" than violence-

We are born naked, and most of us are naked at some point every day- to bath or sleep or change clothes. Indeed one can't maintain good hygiene with being nude, if only briefly.

On the other hand, no one needs violence and it is only destructive when it happens.

So how does it figure that violence is so accepted in our society but nudity is not?

Does this make any sense?

May 25th, 2005, 9:55 pm #9

Nudity is part of life in the sense that we (most of us) are naked when we bathe and perhaps at other times... oh and we are born that way too.

Violence should not be part of life at all. I see boxing and I change the channel or turn the box off.
I don't get that as well. Everytime a nipple, breast, butt or some other "offensive" body part shows up everyone is off and crying to a cop, a congressman/woman writing letters of disgust to the respective television stations crying about blah, blah, blah. What is so embarrassing about tits and ass? Don't bring the Bible into this. Because as far as I am concerned it does not exsist. If it were true then people would be living it cover to cover. The U.S. Constitution does not require us to follow the Bible, or the Book of Mormon, or the Koran that has been flushed down the drain. They both should be!

Nat

May 25th, 2005, 10:20 pm #10

Don't blame the Bible. No where does it say nudity is sinful. This is an interpretation that came along during the middle ages, perhaps extrapolating the story of Adam and Eve. But until then religious art was full of nudes, and many nudes can still be seen in the Sistine Chapel, perhaps the holiest place in the world.

For more on this see: http://www.network54.com/Forum/83405