John McCain

John McCain

Brandon
Brandon

February 8th, 2008, 3:17 am #1

I don't know where people are getting that McCain is a liberal. Nat even states in another thread that except on the war, McCain is a liberal. This is simply not true.

McCain has worked tirelessly for Republican candidates for the last 26 years including aggressively supporting Bush in 200 and 2004.
He has a lifetime rating of 83 based on his voting record by the American Conservative Union.

McCain is unabashedly pro-life, pro-second amendment rights, pro-military, pro-peace through strength, pro-small government, pro-spending cuts, and pro-tax cuts.

John McCain has never voted for an increase in tax rates in 25 years in Congress—never – and clearly and consistently supports cutting and simplifying taxes. He did twice vote against some of Bush tax cuts but did so because Bush wouldn't cut spending. What is more conservative than believing in balancing a budget.

McCain was a sponsor of a liberal campaign finance reform act and he isn't as tough on immigration as most conservatives, but overall he is very conservative and will get my vote come November.

Nat

February 8th, 2008, 4:00 am #2

Well he has also done a lot of things Republicans don't like- like co-sponsor with Ted Kennedy a very liberal immigrant amnesty bill. And he co-sponsored the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill (again with Democrats) that all the other Republicans hated because it cut off their major source of campaign donations. There's a number of other items where McCain has been on opposed sides from his fellow Republicans.

One thing for sure- every right-wing talk show jock- Limbaugh, Hannity, Ingram's- all of them- (who take their cues from the NRC) have been bashing him relentlessly- and so have most of their callers- many who say if he is the nominee they'll they stay home. Even Ann Coulter- who is as right-wing as you can get- says she would rather vote for Hilliary than McCain- so there sure are a lot of conservative Republicans who hate his guts.

Brandon
Brandon

February 8th, 2008, 4:35 am #3

John McCain does take his own stand on some issues that are opposed by the Republican Party. But I like the fact that he can be a true statesman and work with people like Ted Kennedy.

I'm so sick of the era of red state vs. blue state and the whole "liberals are evil" or "conservatives are evil" rhetoric. We are all Americans and in times like these we need someone who can help bring the country together. I like Obama for this reason. Hillary can only divide, she can't unite.

I've lost lots all respect for many of the conservative talk show hosts over the last few weeks. Only Dennis Prager, Michael Medved, Neil Boortz, and Larry Elder still have my respect.

McCain was endorsed by Jack Kemp, Phil Gramm, , Dan Coats, General Alexander Haig, George Shultz, John Kyl, Tom Coburn, Sam Brownback, Lindsey Graham, and even Nancy Reagan.

You don't get any more conservative than Gramm, Brownback and Haig. Seriously, Alexander Haig is to the right of just about anyone you could name.

Why anyone listens to what Limbaugh or Hannity have to say on things like military issues is beyond me. Limbaugh is a draft dodger and Hannity never served a day in the military yet they were savage in their making fun of McCain.

Nat

February 8th, 2008, 5:20 am #4

Well I'm not going to defend Limbaugh or Hannity- I can't stand either- though I occasionally tune them in just to what they're ranting about- nevertheless they are #1 & #2 in the country and have more listeners than all your guys put together.

In any case, I'll put you down in the McCain column.
Let me know if there are any changes.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

February 8th, 2008, 2:00 pm #5

I don't know where people are getting that McCain is a liberal. Nat even states in another thread that except on the war, McCain is a liberal. This is simply not true.

McCain has worked tirelessly for Republican candidates for the last 26 years including aggressively supporting Bush in 200 and 2004.
He has a lifetime rating of 83 based on his voting record by the American Conservative Union.

McCain is unabashedly pro-life, pro-second amendment rights, pro-military, pro-peace through strength, pro-small government, pro-spending cuts, and pro-tax cuts.

John McCain has never voted for an increase in tax rates in 25 years in Congress—never – and clearly and consistently supports cutting and simplifying taxes. He did twice vote against some of Bush tax cuts but did so because Bush wouldn't cut spending. What is more conservative than believing in balancing a budget.

McCain was a sponsor of a liberal campaign finance reform act and he isn't as tough on immigration as most conservatives, but overall he is very conservative and will get my vote come November.

I agree with Brandon, McCain is not a liberal. He is an old fashioned conservative. The problem is that the ultra right neo cons have co-opted the term conservative.
If you are not a far right zealot, these people believe you are a liberal. Not true. Andrew Sullivan talks about this at length on his blog.
It will be nice to see McCain bring conservatism back to sanity and reign in the neo-cons.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

February 8th, 2008, 2:04 pm #6

Well I'm not going to defend Limbaugh or Hannity- I can't stand either- though I occasionally tune them in just to what they're ranting about- nevertheless they are #1 & #2 in the country and have more listeners than all your guys put together.

In any case, I'll put you down in the McCain column.
Let me know if there are any changes.

The right wing hosts are already making nice with McCain. I heard Savage last night pretend that he was never a McCain hater. What a lying lunatic!
They cannot deal with losing some of their juice so now they are acting like they respect McCain.

Nat

February 8th, 2008, 3:17 pm #7

What choice do they have now? They've lost the war to defeat him, so it's even McCain or a Democrat which would be treason in their view.

They are going to have to eat some humble pie, they have been unable to control the juggernaut rolling in McCain's direction- so they either must get on board or be run over by it.

Nat

February 8th, 2008, 3:29 pm #8

I agree with Brandon, McCain is not a liberal. He is an old fashioned conservative. The problem is that the ultra right neo cons have co-opted the term conservative.
If you are not a far right zealot, these people believe you are a liberal. Not true. Andrew Sullivan talks about this at length on his blog.
It will be nice to see McCain bring conservatism back to sanity and reign in the neo-cons.
Ok, I'll put it this way- he holds some very unrepublican views- on immigration, on campaign financing, on global warming, on conservation, on co-operating with Democrats. In 2004 he even considered running as Kerry's VP. If he is not seen as a threat to the conventional Republican establishment- why did they try so hard to defeat him?

Nat

February 8th, 2008, 7:52 pm #9

John McCain does take his own stand on some issues that are opposed by the Republican Party. But I like the fact that he can be a true statesman and work with people like Ted Kennedy.

I'm so sick of the era of red state vs. blue state and the whole "liberals are evil" or "conservatives are evil" rhetoric. We are all Americans and in times like these we need someone who can help bring the country together. I like Obama for this reason. Hillary can only divide, she can't unite.

I've lost lots all respect for many of the conservative talk show hosts over the last few weeks. Only Dennis Prager, Michael Medved, Neil Boortz, and Larry Elder still have my respect.

McCain was endorsed by Jack Kemp, Phil Gramm, , Dan Coats, General Alexander Haig, George Shultz, John Kyl, Tom Coburn, Sam Brownback, Lindsey Graham, and even Nancy Reagan.

You don't get any more conservative than Gramm, Brownback and Haig. Seriously, Alexander Haig is to the right of just about anyone you could name.

Why anyone listens to what Limbaugh or Hannity have to say on things like military issues is beyond me. Limbaugh is a draft dodger and Hannity never served a day in the military yet they were savage in their making fun of McCain.
I hope the EIB network has a recessitator on hand because poor Limbaugh is on a verge of a coronary with his ranting and raving today.
I find it rather amusing actually.

Bob
Bob

February 9th, 2008, 4:01 am #10

I respect John McCain's service to his country, including the 5 and 1/2 years spent as a prisoner of the North Vietnamese. I respect his devotion to the Republican party. But, I disagree with some of his stands, especially the illegal immigrant amnesty, and won't vote for him for President. This might be the first year since I could vote that I don't vote for President. There are simply no acceptable choices amongst the likely candidates.