it's all about the nipple

it's all about the nipple

April 8th, 2004, 12:01 am #1

On the weekend, I went shopping with my daughter who wore a very fitted light colored mock neck with no bra. I wore a looser fitting cable knit sweater, also without my bra. I couldnt help but to notice that as we walked through the mall, men would ogle my breasts, and not hers at all. IN as much as I was pleased that perverted men didnt look at her, I thought "how odd I thought...my daughter is 16 and obviously much perkier than I am (especially after 3 kids and being in my late 30s)". I wasn't sure how to take that at first.

Well, in hindsight, I have concluded that it's not the breast that is the "sexual object", but rather it's the nipple that is.

My daughter (lucky her) has nipples which are flat, and hense do not show, while mine are prominent and therefore do show through tops (and bras no less). I bet that is what it really is, the nipple, and not the breast itself that causes men to ogle, and corporations to write bra manditory laws in the workforce.

Question to you all...is is the breast, the bralessness itself, cleavage, or the nipple that is the reason why bralessness is often frowned upon?

I vote nipple!

Nat

April 8th, 2004, 12:10 am #2

Interesting. Why do you think nipples have this power?

Melissa
Melissa

April 8th, 2004, 12:32 am #3

On the weekend, I went shopping with my daughter who wore a very fitted light colored mock neck with no bra. I wore a looser fitting cable knit sweater, also without my bra. I couldnt help but to notice that as we walked through the mall, men would ogle my breasts, and not hers at all. IN as much as I was pleased that perverted men didnt look at her, I thought "how odd I thought...my daughter is 16 and obviously much perkier than I am (especially after 3 kids and being in my late 30s)". I wasn't sure how to take that at first.

Well, in hindsight, I have concluded that it's not the breast that is the "sexual object", but rather it's the nipple that is.

My daughter (lucky her) has nipples which are flat, and hense do not show, while mine are prominent and therefore do show through tops (and bras no less). I bet that is what it really is, the nipple, and not the breast itself that causes men to ogle, and corporations to write bra manditory laws in the workforce.

Question to you all...is is the breast, the bralessness itself, cleavage, or the nipple that is the reason why bralessness is often frowned upon?

I vote nipple!
Exactly what point part of a breast becomes nudity (or indecent) is up for debate and the nipple was where they drew the line. Tops of breasts, we see them all the time in tank tops, fancy dresses and anything else that shows clevage. Sides of brests we see them in triangle top bikinis. Drawing a line in how much breast can be exposed, hard to do, do we set an amount in inches? that's not fair for small breasted girls like me where you move one inch and are already at the nippile while big girls could show boob for days and still gave plenty covered cause they have so much breast to work with. The nipple, there is something that we can draw a line to. Most laws forbid exposure of the nipple. Some places even make strippers wear pasties to cover the nipple. Perhaps I should do some research and see if it would be legal for me to sunbath at the apt pool with just a small circle glued over my nipple and covering no other part of my breasts? The point is that the nipple has been both stigmatized and eroticized by all of the attention in the legal system and on TV by how it can't be shown. Also many girls don't like them to even show through cloths at all because guys like to pick on them when it happens. I know about that, several of my guy friends even refer to it as having some Melissa action when they see a girl with hard nipples because mine are so obvious all the time. As in "that girl over by table 1-3 has some melissa action going on."

Mona
Mona

April 8th, 2004, 2:16 am #4

I vote nipple!
I had my husband look at your post. He says that the men who talk to him about my bralessness either talk about my nipples (like yours, mine are very obvious) or the movement of my breasts. Like most large breasted braless women, my breast jibble and sway when I walk and it is very noticeble. I asked him which group he fits into, and he says that for me, it is the movement, but for some of my braless friends who are more firm, it is nipples.

Marv
Marv

April 8th, 2004, 5:08 am #5

I vote nipple!
I believe that there there is two groups of people, in a tug of war, one group wants to keep women covered and under control and the other group wants to give them their equal rights, and the group that wants them covered is a nipple away from from losing the war.
One reason people manly men get up set over seeing the nipple is because between big business and the government they want you to pay a price to see it, magazine, strip bars etc, so when you see one in the shopping mall, you are getting a freebee. If it was against the law for people to see Nat's car then people would pay money to to see it. It has been taboo for so long other people just have trouble adjusting to it.

michaela
michaela

April 8th, 2004, 3:03 pm #6

I vote nipple!
I think it is the nipple and aereola as well. Texas has no law against bare breasts in public (outside), but the TX State Parks have ordinances forbidding any part of the nipple or aereola showing on females. Here is the rediculous thing, mens nipples are okay!
So if the rules are against nipples, then it stands to reason that it is the nipple that must disturb people, one way or another. Maybe?

Kelli
Kelli

April 8th, 2004, 6:35 pm #7

I vote nipple!
I checked with hubby on this matter and he says it is definatly all about the nipple. He thinks one of the sexiest things about women are their nipples, and it is very sexy and attractive when a woman's nipple is noticable through her clothing. He has even admitted that one of the first things he noticed about me when we first started dating in college were my "pointed nipples". And he still enjoys seeing me in certain clothing. He also says depending on the fabric one's top, it is very sexy to see the way some tops will form to the shape of a womans braless breasts and that a nice "jiggle" can be very sexy and attractive.

Michael
Michael

April 8th, 2004, 9:36 pm #8

I vote nipple!
What is worrying me about this thread is that it seems to miss the point that whatever it is that might catch the eye of any individual male on any particular occasion, it is allowing men to control what women do with their bodies.

John Bayko
John Bayko

April 9th, 2004, 2:12 am #9

Exactly what point part of a breast becomes nudity (or indecent) is up for debate and the nipple was where they drew the line. Tops of breasts, we see them all the time in tank tops, fancy dresses and anything else that shows clevage. Sides of brests we see them in triangle top bikinis. Drawing a line in how much breast can be exposed, hard to do, do we set an amount in inches? that's not fair for small breasted girls like me where you move one inch and are already at the nippile while big girls could show boob for days and still gave plenty covered cause they have so much breast to work with. The nipple, there is something that we can draw a line to. Most laws forbid exposure of the nipple. Some places even make strippers wear pasties to cover the nipple. Perhaps I should do some research and see if it would be legal for me to sunbath at the apt pool with just a small circle glued over my nipple and covering no other part of my breasts? The point is that the nipple has been both stigmatized and eroticized by all of the attention in the legal system and on TV by how it can't be shown. Also many girls don't like them to even show through cloths at all because guys like to pick on them when it happens. I know about that, several of my guy friends even refer to it as having some Melissa action when they see a girl with hard nipples because mine are so obvious all the time. As in "that girl over by table 1-3 has some melissa action going on."
"Perhaps I should do some research and see if it would be legal for me to sunbath at the apt pool with just a small circle glued over my nipple and covering no other part of my breasts?"

I'd vote for happy-face stickers.

"Have a nice day!"

John Bayko
John Bayko

April 9th, 2004, 2:23 am #10

I vote nipple!
I gave my thoughts on this here a while ago (if anyone wants to go back and look), but summary is that nipples are used as the criteria because, though most people don't realise it 'till it's pointed out, breasts are internal organs.

You can't see them at all, really. All you get to see is the skin covering them, which is no different than skin on arms, necks, or abdomens. Plus they move around underneath (see where they go when a woman lies on her back).

Nipples don't move, so they're used as a demarkation of what is "breast".

As for why they get undue attention, that's a simple case of "hide it, and they will be curious". Oh, and women usually find men's nipples rather sexy as well - nipples are just well-liked.