Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Rudi
Rudi

January 13th, 2004, 4:54 pm #1

Folks, this group is becoming increasingly irrelevant. I have been lurking and reading past posts for a few weeks. I am a 48 year old female and have not worn a bra for over 25 years. I stopped because it was uncomfortable. I have worked for the government as well as private industry. I have managed other workers, male and female. I have worked where there
were dress codes that required “appropriate” undergarments. I have never been hasseled about being braless. How is this possible? The purpose of this group, as I understand it is

1. To promote the freedom of choice to be braless.
2. To promote the freedom of choice to be topfree.

1. Braless. The war is over. We have won. If you want to be braless, be braless. Nobody will stop you. However, you have to ask yourself why you want to be braless. If it is to be comfortable, you can dress in a way that your choice of no undergarment is not overly obvious. If you do not draw attention to yourself, nobody cares what you wear. If you
choose to be braless to make a sexual or social
statement, then businesses DO care. Why? It is a distraction. It is legal for men to wear shorts to work, but it is not acceptable or appropriate in most office settings. It is inappropriate and a distraction. Be braless responsibly and you will have no problems. Outside of work, I will wear t-shirts and tank tops and do not particularly care in anyone sees my nipples or a glimpse of my breasts.
What is left to discuss?

Topfree. The war is also over on this front. Why? Because nobody cares or wants this freedom. If a national law was passed tomorrow, there would be little change in how women behave. Nothing changed in New York. Most of the women in this group would not choose to use this freedom. Hell, some of the women can’t decide if they want to be braless under multiple layers of clothes. What makes us think that women (other than a small fringe) want this freedom. There
is now law against being topfree in one's own house or yard (if reasonably secluded). How many women in this group choose to use that freedom??

I would like to hear some responses from the women in this group. I do not particularly care what the many men who post in this group think. Why are there so many men who comment on this female choice??

david
david

January 13th, 2004, 8:35 pm #2

***I would like to hear some responses from the women in this group. I do not particularly care what the many men who post in this group think. Why are there so many men who comment on this female choice?? ***

Because we care about the health of our loved ones - that is all - is that not enough?
My wife suffered the agony of monthly breast pain for years before she discovered the truth about bras, now she is pain free, we want to help others and that means discussing our research on groups such as these.
Other than that you speak a lot of sense.
David

Michelle
Michelle

January 13th, 2004, 10:21 pm #3

Folks, this group is becoming increasingly irrelevant. I have been lurking and reading past posts for a few weeks. I am a 48 year old female and have not worn a bra for over 25 years. I stopped because it was uncomfortable. I have worked for the government as well as private industry. I have managed other workers, male and female. I have worked where there
were dress codes that required “appropriate” undergarments. I have never been hasseled about being braless. How is this possible? The purpose of this group, as I understand it is

1. Braless. The war is over. We have won. If you want to be braless, be braless. Nobody will stop you. However, you have to ask yourself why you want to be braless. If it is to be comfortable, you can dress in a way that your choice of no undergarment is not overly obvious. If you do not draw attention to yourself, nobody cares what you wear. If you
statement, then businesses DO care. Why? It is a distraction. It is legal for men to wear shorts to work, but it is not acceptable or appropriate in most office settings. It is inappropriate and a distraction. Be braless responsibly and you will have no problems. Outside of work, I will wear t-shirts and tank tops and do not particularly care in anyone sees my nipples or a glimpse of my breasts.
What is left to discuss?

Topfree. The war is also over on this front. Why? Because nobody cares or wants this freedom. If a national law was passed tomorrow, there would be little change in how women behave. Nothing changed in New York. Most of the women in this group would not choose to use this freedom. Hell, some of the women can’t decide if they want to be braless under multiple layers of clothes. What makes us think that women (other than a small fringe) want this freedom. There
is now law against being topfree in one's own house or yard (if reasonably secluded). How many women in this group choose to use that freedom??

I would like to hear some responses from the women in this group. I do not particularly care what the many men who post in this group think. Why are there so many men who comment on this female choice??
Kudos to you Rudi for telling it like it is.

Irrelevant is the PERFECT word.

I have nothing to add to your comments because you did such a wonderful job.

Thanks for looking at the whole picture - it's nice to read for a change!

Kath
Kath

January 14th, 2004, 12:56 am #4

What is left to discuss?

were dress codes that required “appropriate” undergarments. I have never been hasseled about being braless. How is this possible?

*Kudos for ridding of the bra'd lifestyle... I hope to be there one day soon myself. Everyone is built differently, dresses differently, carries themselves differently, and works in different environments. YOu pointed this out in your second point below. Breasts come in all shapes and sizes, some jiggle and sway a whole deal, some barely more, and nipples...some are prominent, some are completely flat. Perhaps your bralessness just isn't as obvious as others, or perhaps in your communitiy it is more acceptable, or perhaps your braless breasts arent as obvious as it is for others who go without*

The purpose of this group, as I understand it is

What is left to discuss?

*good point. I believe this board is a community within a commmunity, and that the topics dont always have to pertain to bralessness/breast freedom. It can simply be a forum for like-minded people to exchange ideas, thoughts, or anything random. As for it's relevence, it may not be relevent to you, but it is to others like myself. Yes, much is repeated, but remember that newbies are coming aboard constantly...so they have no history here and may repeat. If it is irrelevent, you can choose to move on to more relevent internet sites for yourself *

*I could not aggree more. Many fight the fight (as they have in ONtario, Canada, resulting in legal topfreedom), but few....sadly so very few actually exercise the option and go topless anywhere in public. I've never ever seen anyone topless here and that law is well over a decade old. I think the fight is for the option, and legal rights, regardless if someone actually chooses to exercise that right or not. That's the whole point*

*some men are genuinely interested in our health, and freedom of choice. I also think some are trolls with a breast fetish. Such goes the internet. I just preceed assuming that men are of the former mentioned group, even though deep down inside I know there is representation of the latter here.*

John Bayko
John Bayko

January 14th, 2004, 2:03 am #5

What is left to discuss?

"Folks, this group is becoming increasingly irrelevant. I have been lurking and reading past posts for a few weeks. [...]"

I'd say the group is what the posters make it - if you want to make it something, you're as free as anyone else.

"[...] I have never been hasseled about being braless. How is this possible?"

It's possible for you to have one experience, and someone else to have a different experience. One way to not know that other people are different and have different experiences is to not listen to or care about what other people think. For example:

"[...] I would like to hear some responses from the women in this group. I do not particularly care what the many men who post in this group think."

There are other people who do like to learn more, no matter where it's from.

"[...] Why are there so many men who comment on this female choice?? "

That topic has been raised before. Two analogies that have been raised are how men have supported women who wanted the right to vote (historical note - the majority of women didn't want that right, in the same way that you note that most women in North America don't demand to go topfree, but the number of women who did and the men who had the authority to grant it made that change to give women options), and the whites who opposed slavery and discrimination of blacks in the United States. In general, it is better to have the support of more people than fewer, and better to have more choice than less.

There's also the fact that some men care about the issue on its own merits, and because they have particular women who they also care about. I think people are entitled to care about others, and shouldn't be criticized for that.

There have been suggestions that some of the male posters are just interested in seeing breasts around them either more prominantly, or exposed entirely. I tend to think that's unlikely, given that there are much more explicit web sites for anyone interested in that (search for exhibtionism for example).

There have been a few who were just interested in stirring things up. Some have been discouraged or just kicked off the forum.

A few have been curious, or clueless.

I think that covers all the categories, since you asked.

Nat

January 14th, 2004, 5:00 am #6

What is left to discuss?

Rudi, I resisted replying to your post since you said you didn't care about men's views but I can't let some of your comments go unchallenged. I think it's great that you are able to go to work brafree without problems, but if you have been reading BFF for any time you should know that not all women have been so lucky.

As for topfreedom, I agree that they are not many women asking for this- and I ask you why is this? Why should a woman not want the save privilege as her husband or the other men who are free to pull of their shirts on a hot summer day? And what do you think would happen if someone passed a law that men could not do this? Do you think they would tolerate that? Women don't demand this privilege because they have been programmed by society not to demand it. I wouldn't call this choice- I'd call it brainwashing.

Finally, you intimate that the men are here for some prurient interest. Well, considering that the web has thousands of websites with graphic sex and nudity, if a guy hangs around BFF for that he has sure missed the boat! In fact if someone does get into sex stuff here they are quickly showed the cyber-door and told to get lost.

So why did I, a male start BFF? Because I've spend a lifetime working against pointless puritanical oppression of a person's right to wear (or not wear) whatever they wish. It's really no-one else's business, but people have been making it so for much too long. And to show that I am balanced on this point, I also have a men's forum similar to this, which in fact is much older and larger than BFF. And when I found that there was no such forum for women- I decided to start one, because I felt that there should be one- and somebody had to do it.

Now that you have posted your critique of BFF, you can resume sitting on the sideline and as you have been doing or you can participate in making BFF more "relevant". That's up to you.

- Nat

elijah
elijah

January 14th, 2004, 6:25 am #7

What is left to discuss?

i think that guys have a say because we are more affected by womens' choice to be brafree/topfree than women are. i remember them telling us in middle school that the reason they have specific dress codes for the girls is so guys won't be distracted and do bad in school. also, women see each other topless or naked in locker rooms (just as guys see each other) and it's not a big deal.
it's similar with sexual harrasment laws. it pretty much regulates what MEN can or can't do, but it's designed from a female perpective. whether i am allowed to expose my genitals in public or what jokes i (as a man) can tell in the workplace is determined by how women will take it.

michaela
michaela

January 14th, 2004, 4:54 pm #8

What is left to discuss?

Anyone who is suffering the torture of sexual harassment in tne work place is waging a war.

Anyone who ever had to suffer the effects of breast disease, or suffer the loss of a loved one to the same doesn't believe that the war is over.

Until they outright prove that bras are NOT the cause of breast disease, the conversations we have about bras, breasts, freedoms having to do with these will never be irrelevant to people who are interested in sharing about the topic.

Until all our states and provinces share the same laws that New York enjoys, we will always have something relevant to discuss about our disire to be able to take our tops off at the beach or pool without getting arrested for it.

When the managers and supervisors at the work place stop taking it upon themselves to tell us what we should be wearing under our clothes and start minding their own business, we will wage war.

And whenever we have something to tell others about we, at least here in the USA, have the right to talk about it without someone telling us to shut up. Your telling us our forum, and topics herein, is irrelevant is basically saying to us "shut up" and is a rude interruption. If you want to participate in the conversation, you should, by all means, but don't tell us that this is all "irrelevant".

Pat
Pat

January 14th, 2004, 5:06 pm #9

What is left to discuss?

Although some women can hide their bralessness at work, the fact remains that women are still being fired for being brafree at work. Cases are in the news every year and it has a coercive effect on thousands of women. Yes, dressing provocatively is out of place at work, but in many work environments even a trace of bounce can result in a reprimand. Going brafree is a lot easier for a 34A than it is for a 44DD. Sweeping statements that the battle is won are simply naive.

Rudi
Rudi

January 14th, 2004, 6:11 pm #10

What is left to discuss?

Thanks to all for your considerate comments. My apologies to those men who have an interest because of concern for the health of the women in their lives. My apologies also to the men who have a sincere concern/interest in the topic.

My intent was to stir the pot a bit. It angers me when women feel that they need somebody’s permission or approval in order to be brafree. Just do it, or not, it’s your choice!!

However, I must respectfully disagree with Nat’s opinion that my and the grand majority of other women’s lack of interest in being topfree is do to brainwashing. It is really much simpler than that.
I choose not to be topfree for the same reason I chucked the bra. It makes me uncomfortable. It’s not something that can be logically discussed thus rendering a conclusion. I am not against topfreedom. If you want to be topfree in your house or backyard, go for it. If you want to be topfree in public, go
to South Beach or other beaches that are topfree tolerant. Maybe efforts for “universal” topfreedom would be better spent to push for additional topfree beaches.