Interesting Dichotomy

Interesting Dichotomy

Mona
Mona

July 7th, 2004, 9:11 pm #1

Last weekend we went to a friend’s house across town for fireworks. They have college age daughters and they had a few friends with them. Our kids are grown and we don’t have much contact with 20 year olds, so were a little shocked at their casual dress. They had on very tight midriff tops (with bras) and very, very short skirts. It happens that most of them were a little “chunky” and the rolls of fat above their skirts were very prominent. Also, the skirts were so short, that the ones that had thongs on showed and some had nothing underneath their skirts. Well all this to tell you about an interesting conversation I had with one of them. She commented to me that she was shocked I was braless. I said yes and that I was always braless. She then said something that I am still trying to figure out. “I could never go braless because it would look too slutty.” She was telling me this sitting on the ground with her skirt not even beginning to cover her bare ???. Now figure that one out. Jim told me (while he was laughing) I was just out of touch with that age girl. I don’t know. Isn’t that strange. Not wanting to show your natural breast under a top, but willing to show it all under a skirt. I can’t figure it out.

Nat

July 7th, 2004, 9:24 pm #2

I have no answer for you Mona. I'm as baffled as anyone about today's teens.

They dress very provocatively and yet are amazingly prudish about their breasts.

Does anyone understand this?

michaela
michaela

July 7th, 2004, 11:13 pm #3

Could it be that the bra makes them look like they have the perfect hollywood breasts? But they don't think that their other parts need improvement, so don't mind showing that to the world, and beyond.

peter
peter

July 7th, 2004, 11:22 pm #4

They dress very provocatively and yet are amazingly prudish about their breasts.

It says to me that society in general has sexualized breasts to the point that they are now veiwed as the primary sex organ. That all else are but secondary ....rather distubing and bass ackwards is it not?

July 7th, 2004, 11:47 pm #5

Actually I don't think it is anything to do with 'sex'. I am more inclined to agree with Michaela.

As I commented a few threads back, if you listen to what they are saying, they fear being thought of as 'flatchested' and hence not 'desirable'.

They point out that the breasts are at eye-level, or at least closer than the pelvis. When a male approaches a female, they notice that his focus is on the chest, not the face. One of them commented she wanted a T-shirt with an arrow and a sign saying 'My Face is Up Here'.

I think the bra-pointed breasts are signals. The male compares the sizes of women's breasts, he does not compare the size of anything else.

Don't try to make sense out of it

If underwearless is now in, then maybe it will gradually move that focus from the chest elsewhere?

Michael

Nat
Nat

July 8th, 2004, 12:50 am #6

Well none of this explains why today teens are so different in this regard then those of a generation ago.

Breasts have always been sexualized, at least going back to Mae West in the 1930s.

But '70s teens seemed largely immune to this influence.

What has changed between then and now?

michaela
michaela

July 8th, 2004, 1:32 am #7

Could it have anything to do with the greater influence and visual impact of women everywhere with breast implants. They look so different than natural breasts, and they are everywhere we look. Maybe girls wearing their push up and padded bras feel that they look more like what they see in the media this way. I know that in the seventies we didn't see so many women with implants. I remember, I was one of the braless teens of that day. Back then flat was okay.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 8th, 2004, 1:43 am #8

That could be. I notice that the larger girls have really supportive bras that hold them very high. Maybe the implant thing is correct. You mention flat was ok, and it was. For me, being large and saggy, it was ok to be large and saggy then also. Back 25 years ago, no one ever mentioned to me that I needed to keep my breasts from sagging or jiggling. Now, I have heard from several friends that I look sloppy with my breasts being natural and that I just need to get a "good" bra. When I tell them that I am what I am, and that my breasts do not stick straight out or do not move, then just can't get it. I am so glad I have a husband who likes me just the way I am, sloppy or not.

Mona
Mona

July 8th, 2004, 2:12 am #9

Could it have anything to do with the greater influence and visual impact of women everywhere with breast implants. They look so different than natural breasts, and they are everywhere we look. Maybe girls wearing their push up and padded bras feel that they look more like what they see in the media this way. I know that in the seventies we didn't see so many women with implants. I remember, I was one of the braless teens of that day. Back then flat was okay.
I guess I can't run the computer yet. Sorry!

Melissa
Melissa

July 8th, 2004, 6:20 am #10

Most of the people my age assocate having big breasts and not wearing a bar with either the steriotype of the 60s hippy who doesn't bath or shave; or they associate it with trailer trash or ghetto sluts.

If you have small boobs like me you will take heat because it makes my nipples stand out more, and mine are really sensative and often noticably hard. I've been told I look stutty for wearing it. I've also known girls who told me they can't go braless because their boobs are too small and a lil padding goes a long way to making them more noticable. Ironically I know many big chested girls who tell me that I'm lucky because I'm small enough to get away with it while they'd jiggle and sag too much.