Illegal Immigration

Illegal Immigration

Bob
Bob

March 24th, 2006, 11:24 pm #1

There are additional protests being held across the United States, in opposition to proposed legislation that would crack down on illegal immigrants:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060324/ap_ ... on_rallies

This is the sort of battle we face. We waited too long to address this problem, and now we have illegals amassing in our cities to tell the American people and our politicians what they are not going to do. I hope the pols have the "stones" to stand firm and pass the legislation. My fear is that the protests might work -- American politicians are loath to rankle any potential voting block, such as Hispanics here legally, or liberals in search of any cause that seeks to dismantle our American laws and way of life.

Nat

March 25th, 2006, 12:22 am #2

In addition to votes, another reason politicians are reluctant to clamp down on illegals is that many of their businessmen campaign donors don't want any crackdown on this pool of cheap labor.

Not only do they work for less, but they hold down the wages of all workers so that in inflation-adjusted dollars Americans are making less money than previous generations.

When I was a kid most moms were housewives who stayed home and looked after their kids. Today it takes two incomes just to make ends meet.

Melissa
Melissa

March 25th, 2006, 12:59 am #3

There are additional protests being held across the United States, in opposition to proposed legislation that would crack down on illegal immigrants:

This is the sort of battle we face. We waited too long to address this problem, and now we have illegals amassing in our cities to tell the American people and our politicians what they are not going to do. I hope the pols have the "stones" to stand firm and pass the legislation. My fear is that the protests might work -- American politicians are loath to rankle any potential voting block, such as Hispanics here legally, or liberals in search of any cause that seeks to dismantle our American laws and way of life.
who want cheap labor that they can pay under the table and will work for 80 hours per week?

Nat

March 25th, 2006, 1:13 am #4

Yes thats another thing, employers can break all sorts of rules because the illegals are afraid to report them.

peter
peter

March 25th, 2006, 4:24 am #5

One way that although frowned upon would be to shoot them in the river coming across. A few floaters would send a definate message that they are not welcome here!

peter
peter

March 25th, 2006, 4:27 am #6

In addition to votes, another reason politicians are reluctant to clamp down on illegals is that many of their businessmen campaign donors don't want any crackdown on this pool of cheap labor.

Not only do they work for less, but they hold down the wages of all workers so that in inflation-adjusted dollars Americans are making less money than previous generations.

When I was a kid most moms were housewives who stayed home and looked after their kids. Today it takes two incomes just to make ends meet.
I know down here I still make 3x the amount they do for the same work and only 50 hours a week unfortunately. I would really rather work 80 hours a week and really rake in more than I need.

peter
peter

March 25th, 2006, 4:30 am #7

who want cheap labor that they can pay under the table and will work for 80 hours per week?
How about those left wingers who insist on giving the illegals more rights, health benefits, food stamps as well as education above and beyond what they are willing to do for the working poor AMERICANS!

Nat

March 25th, 2006, 4:44 am #8

I know down here I still make 3x the amount they do for the same work and only 50 hours a week unfortunately. I would really rather work 80 hours a week and really rake in more than I need.
I suppose it depends on your skill level- but for common unskilled jobs why would an employer pay a American twice as much money when he can get a illegal alien to do the exact same job for half? I recently had some landscape work done and out of 5 guys here I only heard one (the foreman) speak any english (and not too well).

Nat

March 25th, 2006, 4:59 am #9

How about those left wingers who insist on giving the illegals more rights, health benefits, food stamps as well as education above and beyond what they are willing to do for the working poor AMERICANS!
That's what makes this problem so difficult to get anything done- both parties exploit the illegals- for different reasons- but they both do it.

I think the first thing that should be changed is the law that makes a baby a automatic US citizen just because its born north of the border. A lot of pregnant women cross the border just to get their babies born here. Then the baby is considered a US citizen and they get all sorts of welfare benefits from that. Just changing this one law would help a lot.

Bob
Bob

March 25th, 2006, 3:16 pm #10

The illegals are taking the "grunt" work -- hot, dirty, below what any American would be paid. But, over time, they will seek the higher paid jobs, still willing to work for less than Americans, which will force us to compete by taking lower wages AND few/no benefits (which is already happening due to out-sourcing -- right GM?)

Whatever short-term benefit the wealthy derive from exploiting this situation, I think the long-term problems will far out-weigh any benefit. America has a history of exploiting immigrant labor. Each new group that comes in (heretofore legally) "started at the bottom", doing the sort of work illegals are now. Impoverished and amassed in our large inner cities, they grew to become (understandbly) disgruntled with their status in society and with their poverty. What looked like "opportunity" when they came turned into "shit on" when they saw what other Americans earned and how they lived and were treated. The children of those immigrants, especially, came to resent the treatment that they, their parents and people were getting, which caused friction.

So now, with these current immigrants (and illegal though many are), I know that they won't long be satisfied with the lowest work and lowest pay. They are getting a "toe hold", and then they will seek to move up to the better jobs (human nature). At that point, they will be increasing competition for all of us. And, they will increasingly resent their low status and stigma . . . they will push to become mainstream, especially the children and grandchildren of illegals -- shouldn't actually be in this country, but protesting nonetheless.

The current demonstrations are the tip of the iceberg. Imagine what will happen as their influence continues to grow and spread throughout the country. Spanish becoming a REQUIRED second language for all Americans. Our traditional holidays -- already under attack by the anti-religion zealots -- will no longer be deemed "inclusive" to the descendents of illegals. What will July 4th mean to them? Or President's Day? Or, Memorial Day? (I presume they will like Labor Day! ) Will we be pressed to honor Hispanic holidays instead? You can only have so many holidays, right? Will some American holidays be replaced, by Cinco de Mayo, etc. And what will be the effect upon curriculum in schools? Not only taught in two languages (or in some areas, perhaps only in Spanish), but I'm sure that American history will again be revised to further diminish Europeans' contributions (and maximize their "blame") and tout the noble Mexicans -- imagine how the story of the Alamo and Spanish-America war stories will change.

Yes, I agree both political parties are benefitting right now from this cheap work force. And, neither party wants to alienate a voting, or potential voting, bloc (Repubs don't want to lose the blacks AND the Hispanics!) It will be very, very difficult to stop this invasion of our soil now. I just don't think enough Americans are willing to stand-up and demand action. We will probably just have to brace for the changes . . those of us who can afford it might hide behind our gated communities. Or, maybe Americans will start invading Canada! Y'all want some more people, don't you? You can FINALLY become big time!!!