Bob

October 17th, 2007, 2:04 am #2

Sound on when you check that clip.

Marseil
Marseil

October 17th, 2007, 5:20 am #3

Us men don't stand a chance . . . . hahahaha

http://www.ffk-wilkinson.com/
Just think of the background of this ad: even if it is for tenderness, and at the end of the day for selling stuff, the whole background is fight and competition. Starting with babies!

No wonder you live in an everyday more violent society!

Marseil.

Bob
Bob

October 17th, 2007, 12:22 pm #4

Can't you just enjoy the humor of it for a moment? Its fantasy, Dude, not reality.

btw, if I'm not mistaken, isn't Wilkinson a British company? Not that it matters cause, like I said, its not meant to be a serious thing (But, I guess you have to explain these things to the French! lol j/k)

Marseil
Marseil

October 17th, 2007, 1:16 pm #5

Of course, I understand, it's humor, and it is not serious. My remark is that this humor is based on violence and fighting. Having such stuff leads a population to consider violence, and permanent fights are a normal behavior in society.

Marseil.

Nat

October 17th, 2007, 7:36 pm #6

Can't you just enjoy the humor of it for a moment? Its fantasy, Dude, not reality.

btw, if I'm not mistaken, isn't Wilkinson a British company? Not that it matters cause, like I said, its not meant to be a serious thing (But, I guess you have to explain these things to the French! lol j/k)
I think Marseil has a point, Bob.
Sure it's a funny video- baby beats up Dad. But what kind of message does it send?
Theres so much violence in our movies and TV we don't even think about it but I can't help but think it does have an effect on young minds- the message is- someone wronged you?- beat them up.
And then we wonder why there are so many gang murders and school shootings.

Bob
Bob

October 17th, 2007, 8:00 pm #7

Marseil . . I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at him (still am) . . but you, Nat?

First, there was no scene of the infant attacking the father. The infant threw a Teddy Bear and smashed some Lego blocks . . that was about it. You two hallucinated the rest.

Second, violence is a fact of life. Do you mean to tell me that if some guy threatened your gf or mother that you wouldn't stand up and kick his "behind" (so I'm not accused of profanity next) if necessary?

Yes, I've heard about those utter pacifist types . . the guys that are knocked down and the other guy is grinding his boot into the pacifist's cheek . . and the pacifist says, "I love you . . I love you!" What an idiot! He would never survive in most parts of U.S. . . and, I'm betting, most other parts of the world.

You guys are a trip. Now, it comes back to me . . early in my visits here . . no sense of humor. Not my problem.

Did anyone else think the spot was amusing?

Marseil
Marseil

October 17th, 2007, 8:59 pm #8

> First, there was no scene of the infant attacking the father. The infant threw a Teddy Bear and smashed some Lego blocks . . that was about it.
> You two hallucinated the rest.
I'm not talking about what is shown on the image but what is meant as a background. The same beginning of a spot made by Asians would have a completely different storyboard.

> Yes, I've heard about those utter pacifist types . . the guys that are knocked down and the other guy is grinding his boot into the pacifist's
> cheek . . and the pacifist says, "I love you . . I love you!" What an idiot! He would never survive in most parts of U.S. . . and, I'm betting, most
> other parts of the world.
Wasn't there a guy called.... let me remember.... Jesus, some time ago preaching something like this? ANd which is the country that refers to this guy the most?

Marseil.

Nat

October 17th, 2007, 9:48 pm #9

Marseil . . I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at him (still am) . . but you, Nat?

First, there was no scene of the infant attacking the father. The infant threw a Teddy Bear and smashed some Lego blocks . . that was about it. You two hallucinated the rest.

Second, violence is a fact of life. Do you mean to tell me that if some guy threatened your gf or mother that you wouldn't stand up and kick his "behind" (so I'm not accused of profanity next) if necessary?

Yes, I've heard about those utter pacifist types . . the guys that are knocked down and the other guy is grinding his boot into the pacifist's cheek . . and the pacifist says, "I love you . . I love you!" What an idiot! He would never survive in most parts of U.S. . . and, I'm betting, most other parts of the world.

You guys are a trip. Now, it comes back to me . . early in my visits here . . no sense of humor. Not my problem.

Did anyone else think the spot was amusing?
I wouldn't say I'm a pacifists Bob- there are times when violence is unavoidable- like I fully supported our assault on Afghanistan to try to get Bin Laden and destroy Al Qaeda. And ofcourse if a friend or family member was being attacked I would defend them by whatever means was necessary. But my point is why encourage violence in the first place? Why make such defenses necessary?

As for the cartoon- no they didn't show the baby attacking the father- but that clearly what he was preparing to do. And what kind of message does this send kids- if you think you are wronged- violence is the solution- exercise- get strong- then go beat up your father. Think about it- from the time a little kid begins watching cowboy movies- what does he see- men fighting and killing each other. This is his role model. This is what men are suppose to do. So should we be surprised that we have the highest murder rate in the civilized world?

Its a fact Bob- the US has the most violence and murders of any advance country in the world. Do you think this is OK? I happen to think that it's no co-incident that violence absolutely permeates our culture- our movies have so much violence in them that many countries banned them or require it to be edited. Ironic that when European movies come here we edited out sex and nudity- and they edit out our violence. So which is worse- making love or killing each other?

Bob
Bob

October 18th, 2007, 12:38 pm #10

My father grew up with the old Westerns . . cowboys-and-Indians shoot-em-ups . . last stand at the O.K. Corral . . and while he served in the Pacific during WWII and could defend himself very well . . the man was not violent. He only fought went the fight was brought to him. He/my family never owed a firearm or hunting bow . . except for a Japanese rifle from the war that he kept as a souvenir -- it had the firing pin removed, was never loaded and never fired to my knowledge. As a child, I grew up playing the same shoot 'em games with friends, and I never owned a firearm, only fought as a last resort and never even carried a pocket knife. I watched all those Tom and Jerry cartoons, where Tom the Cat was continually trying to kill and eat Jerry the Mouse. I watched the Road Runner Cartoons. Yet, I never thought it was OK to try to kill someone and eat them, and I never tried to blow anyone up with explosives or drop an anvil on their heads.

But, by your and Marseil's theory, by now I should be this homicidal mad-dog maniac. But I'm not (I can be a bit testy verbally and on-line, but I'm really not very physically aggressive). Why is that? Maybe its because I -- and I think most other people -- can distinguish between fantasy and reality. So long as you can do that, I don't think there is any harm in indulging in enjoyment of fantasy scenarios.

Don't you do this? Haven't you ever imagined walking into a boss' office, turning and dropping your pants, and saying, "Here's project for YOU -- Kiss this! . . and I don't like dry lips either!" . . or something like that? Funny thought, to me. But would I do it? No. Why? Because making this fantasy reality gets me: a) Fired b) Possibly prosecuted for indency or intimidation c) It would look bad on my references for future employment. So, I THINK it but I don't DO it? See the difference?

Yes, there are those unfortunate souls who apparently lack any impulse control: If they think about it, they do it. Such people need treatment and external limits set for their own protection. But, should the fact that a small minority fall into that category mean that the rest of us shouldn't engage in some harmless fantasy? Obviously, I think the answer is "NO". Apparently, you two think otherwise.

continued on next post . . .