How important is topfreedom to your happiness?

How important is topfreedom to your happiness?

Abbey (m)
Abbey (m)

April 28th, 2004, 12:13 am #1

I ask because when i was young i lived overseas where topfreedom was normal. After moving back to the states it seemed weird to meet women so preocupied with keeping themselves covered. Once i began dating the first thing i wanted to know was how she felt about having bare breasts. If i got an answer like "i'm not that kind of girl" the date was all but over. Looking back I feel lucky at the number of girlfriends and female friends i've known who were pretty open about it.
Now i'm looking to get engaged to a woman i've known for a number years. And i have to admit one of the things i love most about her is her healthy attitude towards the human body. Unlike other women i've known she is not a topfree activist looking to change the world. She just thinks the common attitude towards women's breast is ridiculous and she refuses to play along. I guess i'm wondering if you think it's possible to put too much emphasis on this topfree thing. If it was something she didn't enjoy i can tell you marriage would have never crossed my mind. Speaking for myself topfreedom is essential for a happy life.

michaela
michaela

April 28th, 2004, 12:44 am #2

<I guess i'm wondering if you think it's possible to put too much emphasis on this topfree thing. If it was something she didn't enjoy i can tell you marriage would have never crossed my mind. Speaking for myself topfreedom is essential for a happy life.>

Are you wondering if we think you are placing too much emphasis on topfreedom? Well it does sort of seem interesting that you wouldn't marry her if she didn't enjoy it. I hope you have a lot more basis for your relationship besides that one thing.

But, as someone who would like to see the double standards lifted, it seems to me you have to spend a good amount of time considering how to do it. And that simply means finding safe ways to make appearences, so to speak, so that it eventually becmes something people are used to seeing. You have to emphasize something if it doesn't yet exist. After you get it, you have to be careful not to take it for granted.

April 28th, 2004, 1:50 am #3

I agree with Michaela, relationships cannot be built on one thing. Therefore there is no simple answer to this question.

Obviously it is pretty important to most of the people who go to the trouble of contributing to this site.

Michael

Abbey
Abbey

April 28th, 2004, 6:58 pm #4

Thanks for the responses. We certainly have much more in common than interest in topfreedom. I think gettting married for any single reason is folly. Our values & tastes overlap on many things. But if she disagrees with me politicaly or hates my favorite band, i can live with that. But i know from experience a repugnance to topfreedom can be a source of real frustration. And it concerns me that it has such a strong bearing. I can't imagine a group more passionate on this subject than the one i've stumbled onto here. So if the general concensus is it's not THAT important, well maybe i've gone too far.
As for saftey, she has been topfree in public at campgrounds, parks, music fests, beaches & lakes. Though she has large breasts not once did she feel threatned or have any concern for her saftey. The only authority she has run into have been park rangers who just blink. Lifeguards ignore her. The only problem was a hotel guard who said, "you can't do that here." Kind of irratating but not the least dangerous. Have we just been lucky?

Nat

April 28th, 2004, 10:29 pm #5

Adidas use to have the ad slogan- "just do it". Your roommate's experience (and other's here) shows that if more women would "just do it" the old topless taboo barriers would soon fall.

April 28th, 2004, 10:52 pm #6

NIKE

Nat

April 29th, 2004, 1:43 am #7

I stand corrected. (they all look alike to me anyway!)

peter
peter

April 29th, 2004, 11:20 am #8

They all work alike too, makes you wonder why the huge difference in price.