Holiday Topfreedom

Holiday Topfreedom

BigAl
BigAl

April 6th, 2005, 8:42 am #1

Ref
"Unsurprisingly, taking it off is taking off with the travel industry".

Some years ago (10-15? both major British TV channels (BBC1 and ITV) used to screen a weekly 'Holiday Programme', where , if they were reporting from a beach resort, toplessness was frequently observed. Nowadays, I think I can safely say that toplessness is NEVER observed. I have frequently pondered over the reasons for this.

It is similar to Charlie Dimmock and Ground Force, which I have commented on before. I watched a GF programme recently, which was filmed in Spain i.e. ideasl country for bra freedom. But Charlie was wearing hers! Why the sudden change!?

Nat

April 6th, 2005, 10:25 pm #2

An interesting question, Al. Back in the 1970s, as media and commerce were becoming globalized I was hoping that Europe's more healthy attitude towards brafreedom and topfreedom would transform America's traditional prudery but it seems the reverse has happen instead.

BigAl
BigAl

April 6th, 2005, 11:32 pm #3

Oops. What I intended to say, of course, is that the topfreedom is still happening on European (and British) beaches, but the TV programmes avoid showing it. Could it be because the programmes are screened at about t p.m. and (horror of horrors) children might see a naked breast!?
As we all know children are impressionable and by failing to show people au naturelle at places like the beach, we condition them into believing that there is something wrong with the naked human body...

Nat

April 6th, 2005, 11:58 pm #4

Could be because many BBC programs are now seen in America and they don't want to upset our sensibilities- which are greater than ever since the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction". But from what I read and hear, bra and top freedom has declined significantly in Europe compared to 20-30 years ago.

Anudist
Anudist

April 8th, 2005, 12:42 am #5

An interesting question, Al. Back in the 1970s, as media and commerce were becoming globalized I was hoping that Europe's more healthy attitude towards brafreedom and topfreedom would transform America's traditional prudery but it seems the reverse has happen instead.
At one time, toplessness in Europe was "shocking".

However, as the population has aged and matured, the "shock" value of the topless woman is no longer there. Therefore, fewer women feel as if they need to make a statement about being topfree.

OR

It could also be that the American Stigma has now spread to Europe. The conservatism of the people and religion is again becoming a factor in European life.

Melissa
Melissa

April 8th, 2005, 6:04 am #6

It could also be because of the wonderbra/plastic surgery craze. Back in the 70s women went braless (and topless in Europe) even though they had breasts that would be considered saggy by today's standards. Now thanks to wonderbras unless a girl has A cups (like me) or fake ones that don't sag at all they don't go without a bra so you could imagine how they would feel about goijng without a top so everone on the beach could see how they "sag".

BigAl
BigAl

April 8th, 2005, 7:02 am #7

...was that the topfreedom is still going on, but the TV holiday programmes go 'out of their way' to avoid showing it.

michaela
michaela

April 8th, 2005, 11:36 am #8

I understand what you were saying BigAl.

April 10th, 2005, 4:19 pm #9

Oops. What I intended to say, of course, is that the topfreedom is still happening on European (and British) beaches, but the TV programmes avoid showing it. Could it be because the programmes are screened at about t p.m. and (horror of horrors) children might see a naked breast!?
As we all know children are impressionable and by failing to show people au naturelle at places like the beach, we condition them into believing that there is something wrong with the naked human body...
I remember watching a TV program last summer (or was it 2003? not sure) about how most people at some of our beaches (Greece) were foreigners, and they had gone to a beach to talk to the people there. They spoke to a Russian couple, and the girl was topless. They didn't talk to her about it (though I can't say what the reporter was thinking) but that was probably the reason they chose her to talk to. Nevertheless, they weren't hiding her or something.