history repeating itself?

history repeating itself?

JB
JB

September 15th, 2005, 3:44 am #1

I did not know about this but there was a program about it on tv tonight. In 1927 along the Mississippi River, there was flooding and blacks were not rescued because farmers were afraid that if they were moved, they would not return to do farm labor:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/flood/time ... line2.html

Even though this is not what happened recently in Louisiana, it is not the first time something like this has happened.

TCII
TCII

September 15th, 2005, 5:00 am #2

The reason it seems like history repeats itself is because there are indeed lessons to be learned each time. Unfortunately, people are asked to give up their very lives so the rest of us can learn compassion, love and to make sure that mistakes made now (complacency,indifference and delays), are not made in the future.

--TCII

JB
JB

September 15th, 2005, 5:21 am #3

What really amazes me is that I learned later in the program that not only were the blacks not rescued, they were forced (at gunpoint by police) to work to fix the levees and many of these people died when the levee gave out. One man was shot by a policeman because he would not return to work. Slavery was illegal in 1927 and it wasn't that long ago, because some of the people who were there are still living.

TCII
TCII

September 15th, 2005, 5:41 pm #4

JB,

I did not see the program, but it is true. In the coming weeks and even now, we are just beginning to hear the horror stories of New Orleans. Now, I do not wish to make this into a political post so I will not, but when the Federal gov't knew about Katrina coming, and sat on their hands....Most of you have hashed this out before.... It is extremely sad my friend.

--TCII

Jafo
Jafo

September 17th, 2005, 9:48 am #5

Saying that the problem was with the federal response is doing a vast disservice to all those who wanted to help. The federal government warned La and New Orleans in particular to evacuate. Amtrack offered their trains to evacuate (and were turned down). In all disasters the local government is the one responsable for the first response. Imagine if we had to wait on the federal government to respond to every house fire! Ask yourself why nursing homes and hospitals were abandond to let the sick and infirm die. Was that the fault of the federal government? Why were not the city and school buses sent into the poor neighborhoods to evacuate those with no transportation? Were they expecting busses from California or even Texas to get their first?

And to say it is a race issue really oversimplifies things. One of La's elected officials diverted 2 trucks and a helicoptor from the rescue efforts to salvage his personal belongings. Now it would be easy to say this was a raciest thing since it was blacks drowning, but this Representative is black himself. This just really underscores a theme of this board. Government at any level should be there to protect our rights to do what ever we want that does not harm anyone else, but instead, we get into the habit of letting them do all the work for us. When that happens we get messed up laws like women have to wear shirts and men do not...

Oh well, I will go back to lurking now, it is just as a first responder myself I find it really appaling the the cities first responders let so many people down...

Nat

September 17th, 2005, 11:59 am #6

I think we can agree that this was a failure of government at all levels including state and local right down to Mayor Nagin who I think did a very poor job preparing for this. My main concern was that after "9/11" I though the federal government had been totally reorganized to swiftly deal with emergency situations- be it a terrorist attack or a natural disaster in this case, and clearly they weren't. But at least it is good to see that recovery efforts are now going well and I hope that if any good has come out of this it has been a learning experience so that the next time a disaster of any kind strikes response will be much quicker. Indeed, I think we already see this with Hurricane Ophelia in North Carolina where FEMA officials were moving into the area even before the hurricane was gone.

September 17th, 2005, 1:53 pm #7

Saying that the problem was with the federal response is doing a vast disservice to all those who wanted to help. The federal government warned La and New Orleans in particular to evacuate. Amtrack offered their trains to evacuate (and were turned down). In all disasters the local government is the one responsable for the first response. Imagine if we had to wait on the federal government to respond to every house fire! Ask yourself why nursing homes and hospitals were abandond to let the sick and infirm die. Was that the fault of the federal government? Why were not the city and school buses sent into the poor neighborhoods to evacuate those with no transportation? Were they expecting busses from California or even Texas to get their first?

And to say it is a race issue really oversimplifies things. One of La's elected officials diverted 2 trucks and a helicoptor from the rescue efforts to salvage his personal belongings. Now it would be easy to say this was a raciest thing since it was blacks drowning, but this Representative is black himself. This just really underscores a theme of this board. Government at any level should be there to protect our rights to do what ever we want that does not harm anyone else, but instead, we get into the habit of letting them do all the work for us. When that happens we get messed up laws like women have to wear shirts and men do not...

Oh well, I will go back to lurking now, it is just as a first responder myself I find it really appaling the the cities first responders let so many people down...
I saw the story about that state rep. who said he was using the military vehicles to inspect his neaghborhood but ended up in his own house for over an hour collecting his things, and then getting the truck stuck and having to call another to get them out, and using helicoptors. When he was asked about it he just flat out lied. I think his whole agenda was to get to his house to get his stuff. He should be billed for the use of the vehicles, the fuel, and the personel it took to undo the mess he caused. There isn't anything racial about a misuse of funds that way.

Boreas
Boreas

September 17th, 2005, 3:35 pm #8

First off, I am Canadian so have a different view of federal government roles and responsibilities.

I do agree that things were handled badly at all levels from the sound of it. I just heard today that there were ambulances outside a nursing home waiting to evacuate residents who subsequently drowned. What were the owners of the home thinking? I understand they have been charged with the deaths of the residents.

I believe that when there is such a huge overwhelming disaster that the federal government has a role to play in helping. Good grief, Toronto's mayor asked for military assistance when a huge snowstorm hit Toronto about 7 years ago. (a little hasty and subsequently good material for comedians!). The federal government has access to different resources and has an overall view of the country, even a country that is a republic of states.

I suspect that some of the problem is that so many people do not see G.W.'s leadership skills.

I think there is a component of human nature involved in this too. I have never lived in a hurricane area, so don't know the psychology first hand. It sounded like a lot of people did not take the evacuation orders seriously because they had escaped hurricanes before or hurricanes had changed course and didn't hit the area after all. Unfortunately that decision turned out to be disasterous.

I sure hope people at all levels have learned from this.

frank
frank

September 17th, 2005, 6:44 pm #9

I saw the story about that state rep. who said he was using the military vehicles to inspect his neaghborhood but ended up in his own house for over an hour collecting his things, and then getting the truck stuck and having to call another to get them out, and using helicoptors. When he was asked about it he just flat out lied. I think his whole agenda was to get to his house to get his stuff. He should be billed for the use of the vehicles, the fuel, and the personel it took to undo the mess he caused. There isn't anything racial about a misuse of funds that way.
And the ironic part about it all is, these ninnies will run for re-election, retain their seats, and do the same blatant stunts all over again, yet roar righteously indignantly, that there's no accountability being accepted.

Boreas
Boreas

September 17th, 2005, 7:00 pm #10

You want accountability in government? How novel!

Now, how can we sell it to the powers that be!