Hey Nat

Hey Nat

Eiffel
Eiffel

March 13th, 2005, 4:25 pm #1

Do you have any advice to effectively block the annoying pop-ups that appear on the Network54 forums? I've installed pop-up blocker by Panicware (free) and also Webroot Pop-up Washer ($30)and I still get two annoying pop-ups every post I read! I use Internet Explorer rather than Mozilla or some other browser and run Windows ME.

Nat

March 13th, 2005, 5:57 pm #2

Eiffel, I have use a popup blocker name "Proxomitron" for several years which is very effective although a bit tricky to configure since it is actually a proxy server which filters everything going to IE. You can probably find a download site with Google.

Other alternatives:

Firefox is suppose to have a built-in pop-up blocker, as does the newest version of IE (6.0 I think). It was included with the SP2 update for XP but I think it can be downloaded from M$ and will work with ME.

But perhaps the easiest thing to try first is the Google toolbar- it is suppose to block pop-ups as well as being handy for searching Google.

I don't know how well these latter things work since I always have Proxomitron on anyway.

Wayne
Wayne

March 13th, 2005, 7:40 pm #3

Do you have any advice to effectively block the annoying pop-ups that appear on the Network54 forums? I've installed pop-up blocker by Panicware (free) and also Webroot Pop-up Washer ($30)and I still get two annoying pop-ups every post I read! I use Internet Explorer rather than Mozilla or some other browser and run Windows ME.
I do software development on my computer, as well as browsing the Internet, so I'm more safety-conscious than must users. I have taken a number of precautions; what is relavant here is that I have always thought that the typical user's attitude toward the Internet is as risky to his computer as having promiscous sex without condoms is to his body, and for the same reasons.

I use Netscape, and leave the following options turned off:

1. Load images automatically. Instead, I push the Images button when I want them for a specific page, which isn't very often.

2. Java. I NEVER turn it on.

3. Javascript. I turn it on only when I'm sure that I want it on, and only for a site that I have decided is trustworty, mostly the Los Angeles Times.

4. Cookies. Again, I rarely turn it on, and only for a specific site where I need it. Mostly, for the New York Times (Be sure and leave Javascript OFF there.) and the Los Angeles Times (Be sure and turn on Javascript there.)

5. I never install optional things for my web browser.

Most of the annoying things on the Internet come from abandoning safe practices like these. That's fine if you only use your computer on the Internet; you can easily wipe it clean and reinstall everything after it gets a fatal infection, can't you.

As far as I can tell, leaving Javascript turned off gets rid of 100% of the popups. I didn't realize that this site had any, although I did realize that it had advertisements; I just don't see them.

JB
JB

March 13th, 2005, 11:16 pm #4

The popups help pay for the site. I just think that the users of popups should not abuse it though, and send you 5 popups with one click. Some browsers will send popups to the back, that way the webmasters get paid and you can see the popups later if you want.

Charlie
Charlie

March 14th, 2005, 3:10 am #5

The Mozilla Suite and Mozilla Firefox are both great web browsers with much more security than MS Internet Explorer, including automatic pop-up blocking and prevents Java/Javascrpit meddling.

-- For Mozilla Suite --

1. Prefrences/Privacy & Security/Popup Windows -- Check the "Block unrequested popup windows" box

2. Prefrences/Advanced/Scripts & Plug-ins -- Uncheck the following boxes: Move or resize windows, raise or lower windows, hide the status bar, disable or replace context menus

3. Prefrences/Advanced/System -- Check the box for Alert if other applications change settings.

-- For Mozilla Firefox --

1. Tools/Options/General/Cookies -- Check boxs Allow site to set Cookies, For originating web site only, Keep cookies until I close Firefox

2. Tools/Options/Web Features -- Check box, Block Popup Windows. Uncheck box, Allow web sites to install software. Uncheck the Java/Javascript boxes to suit.

There you go! I haven't been bothered by popups in months.

Also, may I highly recommend Mozilla Thunderbird for your E-mail use. It easily and completely imports your Outlook Express mail collection, addresses, and other settings, and operates pretty much the same way. Best of all, you can teach it about your particular type of junk mail traffic, and it will automatically put it in the trash can or a junk mail folder for your review later. For someone with about 10-20 klunkers a day, it is working at about 98+% success after just a month with no false positives yet. I did mistakenly tell it one good mail was junk, but I rescinded that marker, and it has done just fine since.

Using Mozilla Suite, I have not yet seen a popup on this site/forum.

Happy browsing!

bn
bn

March 14th, 2005, 1:05 pm #6

I would second your recommendation of firefox! I do get the occasional popup but it is very rare.

Nat

March 14th, 2005, 8:47 pm #7

I do software development on my computer, as well as browsing the Internet, so I'm more safety-conscious than must users. I have taken a number of precautions; what is relavant here is that I have always thought that the typical user's attitude toward the Internet is as risky to his computer as having promiscous sex without condoms is to his body, and for the same reasons.

I use Netscape, and leave the following options turned off:

1. Load images automatically. Instead, I push the Images button when I want them for a specific page, which isn't very often.

2. Java. I NEVER turn it on.

3. Javascript. I turn it on only when I'm sure that I want it on, and only for a site that I have decided is trustworty, mostly the Los Angeles Times.

4. Cookies. Again, I rarely turn it on, and only for a specific site where I need it. Mostly, for the New York Times (Be sure and leave Javascript OFF there.) and the Los Angeles Times (Be sure and turn on Javascript there.)

5. I never install optional things for my web browser.

Most of the annoying things on the Internet come from abandoning safe practices like these. That's fine if you only use your computer on the Internet; you can easily wipe it clean and reinstall everything after it gets a fatal infection, can't you.

As far as I can tell, leaving Javascript turned off gets rid of 100% of the popups. I didn't realize that this site had any, although I did realize that it had advertisements; I just don't see them.
You must not do much surfing Wayne. I find most websites today are not very functional without javascript and cookies. And many have links that don't show without images. And some toolbars are very handy so I think you have to strike a balance between security, convenience and functionality.

This is not to say I'm not cautious- besides proxomitron, I run zonealarm, AVG-antivirus, spybot teatimer and a router and I keep my data on separate drive than the OS. So far these precautions have been very effective.

Cindiee
Cindiee

March 15th, 2005, 2:07 pm #8

The Mozilla Suite and Mozilla Firefox are both great web browsers with much more security than MS Internet Explorer, including automatic pop-up blocking and prevents Java/Javascrpit meddling.

-- For Mozilla Suite --

1. Prefrences/Privacy & Security/Popup Windows -- Check the "Block unrequested popup windows" box

2. Prefrences/Advanced/Scripts & Plug-ins -- Uncheck the following boxes: Move or resize windows, raise or lower windows, hide the status bar, disable or replace context menus

3. Prefrences/Advanced/System -- Check the box for Alert if other applications change settings.

-- For Mozilla Firefox --

1. Tools/Options/General/Cookies -- Check boxs Allow site to set Cookies, For originating web site only, Keep cookies until I close Firefox

2. Tools/Options/Web Features -- Check box, Block Popup Windows. Uncheck box, Allow web sites to install software. Uncheck the Java/Javascript boxes to suit.

There you go! I haven't been bothered by popups in months.

Also, may I highly recommend Mozilla Thunderbird for your E-mail use. It easily and completely imports your Outlook Express mail collection, addresses, and other settings, and operates pretty much the same way. Best of all, you can teach it about your particular type of junk mail traffic, and it will automatically put it in the trash can or a junk mail folder for your review later. For someone with about 10-20 klunkers a day, it is working at about 98+% success after just a month with no false positives yet. I did mistakenly tell it one good mail was junk, but I rescinded that marker, and it has done just fine since.

Using Mozilla Suite, I have not yet seen a popup on this site/forum.

Happy browsing!
Totall Agree, the best browser and I do not have any problems with it at all.
Blocks 99%

Cindiee

Wayne
Wayne

March 16th, 2005, 4:58 pm #9

You must not do much surfing Wayne. I find most websites today are not very functional without javascript and cookies. And many have links that don't show without images. And some toolbars are very handy so I think you have to strike a balance between security, convenience and functionality.

This is not to say I'm not cautious- besides proxomitron, I run zonealarm, AVG-antivirus, spybot teatimer and a router and I keep my data on separate drive than the OS. So far these precautions have been very effective.
Yes, there are an increasing number of websites that don't want people like me, but most of them aren't the ones I'm interested in. I do have to load images sometimes, but I only do that if I want them, which isn't very often.

I do turn Javascript and cookies on when I need to and it is a trusted site, but that isn't very often.

If I really need this kind of things, I use a different computer that doesn't have anything of value on it. I was talking about getting on the web from my development computer. As I said, if it's easy to reload the software, that's a different matter.

The development machine is dual boot, and the C partition used for development and the one used for browsing are thus mutually exclusive. My data is in other partitions. The browsing C drive is very minimal, just Windows, drivers for hardware, including CD and MIDI players, Netscape, Acrobat, Becky! for email, and a few other things that have accumulated there. A very short start menu. The development machine has lots of things, but lacks the drivers for connecting to the Internet. No accidental access from the wrong boot.

Nat

March 16th, 2005, 10:06 pm #10

Well I think you may be overly fearful Wayne. I've been on the net about as long as it's been public, and on Prodigy and BBSs before that, and with the precautions I have taken I've never gotten a destructive virus. So it is possible to enjoy the modern amenities of the net without getting nailed.