Happy New Year

Happy New Year

Tubby
Tubby

December 31st, 2010, 1:02 pm #1

Well my computer clock just changed over to 00:00 hours 1:1:11 so happy new year every one.

Nat

December 31st, 2010, 1:33 pm #2

Thanks Tubby, but we Yanks aren't quite done with 2010 yet- still got 15½ hours to go.

And I do hope that 2011 will be a better year, though I don't have much reason to think so.

Marv
Marv

January 1st, 2011, 3:29 am #3

First all; Happy New Year everybody, Remember next year Its never so bad it can't be worse and never so good it cannot be better.

Bob
Bob

January 1st, 2011, 11:19 am #4

Well my computer clock just changed over to 00:00 hours 1:1:11 so happy new year every one.
My 2010 ended on a tiring note: I had all these dishes to do, then decided it was a good time to clean out/wash the refrigerator. Tidied up/mopped floors -- you know, thinking family might drop by for New Year's Eve. Got bill payments ready to be mailed . . the sorts of things I imagine most people do to close out one year and start the next anew. Had a Christmas return (gift for son) and some cash coupons the store gave to me for using their credit card, so off I went. Seems A LOT of other people had the same plans --- the store was more crowded the Friday after Christmas than pre-Christmas. I waited through TWO long lines (they redeemed my cash coupons for purchases at the registers ("Sorry, we can't do card payments or returns here. You'll have to go back to Customer Service.") The second line was as long as the first, but it moved even slower -- I exchanged gripes with the other line occupants: "This is ridiculous! . . They tell you when you take out their card, 'Oh, you can pay it off at the store and avoid the high interest rates and late fees.' They don't tell you that it will be like pulling teeth to actually get to make the payment! . . I like the merchandise here, but I understand now why people give gift cards!" I finally get to the desk, the return went fine, but they cannot access my card balance -- "See that phone over there? You'll have to call the company to get your balance." (I eventually got to pay off the card, vowing I would return it to the company and ask them to CANCEL it, for reasons stated!)

Next was grocery shopping: Again, EVERYONE in town was already there, getting ready for New Year's parties, I'm sure. The check-out lines were so long that some people were abandoning full shopping carts rather than go through them. (Twice, store workers came past to ask me if this was my cart, 8 feet away from me, or if it was another abandoned cart -- they needed to get the meats and frozen foods back in their cases). Actually, check-out had thinned a bit by the time I was ready -- thank God!

By the time I got home, I had been gone about four-and-a-half hours on these two stops. On my feet the entire time, and I am not a small person -- my back ached, my legs ached from hips down, I was so hungry that it verged on feeling sick to my stomach. I fixed dinner and laid on the couch -- my legs never stopped aching the whole night. I wondered if this is what arthritis feels like. I dozed through a couple of football games, never really comfortable, watched the 10 PM New Year's network TV build-up shows, then the local news (to see who would be the last person of 2010 to be robbed, shot, killed in an auto accident, have their house burn down . . you know, to be an informed citizen who could say to others, "Wasn't it terrible what happened, just a week after Christmas?!"

Finally, it was time to bring in the new year: Made my drinks (maybe the alcohol would ease my aching legs?) and watched the festivities in Times Square (would love to be there for that, just once). As for the musical acts -- where do they get these people? I never heard of most of them, and judging by their performances, I preferred to keep it that way (just getting older, stuck in my own era, I suppose). The countdown never seemed more anti-climatic . . as a friend had said, "I don't know why people get so excited about New Year's. They have all the same problems and debts that had the day before." I raised my glass, hoping for a "better 2011", the universal prayer. Stayed up to watch more unknown acts until finally going to bed. Up at 5:25 AM this morning, checking the forums and looking for an opportunity to complain. As the old saying goes, at least I have money to pay the bills, legs to complain to me, food to eat after I wade through the check-out line, family/friends to call and ask them how exciting their holidays have been, forums like this to come to commiserate. Yes, I am blessed!

Nat

January 1st, 2011, 2:35 pm #5

I hate crowds Bob so I spent the New Years eve quietly at home revamping my investment strategy for 2011. I can't say that I've been excited by a new year since 2000. Changing to a new millennium was once in a lifetime event, a once in a thousand-years event, so every new year since has seem rather anticlimactic. And every new year since has seem more depressing. I wish I could think that 2011 will be a new beginning and a solution to our many problems but I don't expect it. I think it's going to be a year of political gridlock when hardly anything gets done once the party of "No" has the power to enforce it. The economy will continue a muddling recovery but I don't expect to ever see boom years again.

Bob
Bob

January 1st, 2011, 4:06 pm #6

I think we had gridlock the past two years, with Republicans in the minority. Personally, I don't think Democrats have the WILL to go it alone -- even when they have the votes, they want the Repubs along. I think the Republicans revel in depicting the Dems as the unpatriotic, wimpy party. The Dems don't have the same strategy -- they fear going out on a limb, getting all the blame if the outcome is bad. So, the Republicans are comfortable pushing their agenda once they have the numbers, but the Dems are their OWN gridlock.

But, either way, I think Congress has lost the will to do the right things for our country.

Nat

January 2nd, 2011, 3:42 am #7

By the way- this morning I happen to look at my computer clock- and thought- if only I had done this eight minutes earlier I could have gotten a once in a lifetime screenshot of a "all ones day"- "11:11 - 1/1/11". Will never get that chance again!

Marv
Marv

January 2nd, 2011, 4:19 am #8

I hate crowds Bob so I spent the New Years eve quietly at home revamping my investment strategy for 2011. I can't say that I've been excited by a new year since 2000. Changing to a new millennium was once in a lifetime event, a once in a thousand-years event, so every new year since has seem rather anticlimactic. And every new year since has seem more depressing. I wish I could think that 2011 will be a new beginning and a solution to our many problems but I don't expect it. I think it's going to be a year of political gridlock when hardly anything gets done once the party of "No" has the power to enforce it. The economy will continue a muddling recovery but I don't expect to ever see boom years again.
This just the way I see things; The rich has been getting richer by scamming and the rest trying to live on money they don't have (5 year loans on cars, 35 year loans on houses credit cards, etc, etc.
The only people that has any job security are the in entertainment; TV , and movie stars, the sports players or stars, make big big money working a seasonal job

Nat

January 2nd, 2011, 5:28 am #9

Yes the enormous inequity in income and wealth that exist in our society now is a major problem. The middle class income has been stagnant and even falling for years while the wealth of the country is becoming ever more concentrated in the hands of a few. I have been surprised that there has not been a populous revolt about this- especially with the Republican's insistence on protecting tax cuts for the rich (their campaign donors). And their argument that increasing taxes on the rich will "hurt job creation" is so bogus. You only paid tax on net profit- after business expenses- like employee salaries are deducted. Why does the public buy this garbage?

Tubby
Tubby

January 2nd, 2011, 11:08 am #10

By the way- this morning I happen to look at my computer clock- and thought- if only I had done this eight minutes earlier I could have gotten a once in a lifetime screenshot of a "all ones day"- "11:11 - 1/1/11". Will never get that chance again!
In about 11 years, 1 month, 1 day and a couple on minutes if we are still around