Goodbye Kirk- RIP

Goodbye Kirk- RIP

Nat

May 24th, 2012, 5:27 am #1

As you may know I live in the boonies and over the years I've fed a number of stray cats that come and go. My current favorite was a large gray cat- a 'Russia-blue' I think they're called. It must have been somebody's abandoned house cat because he was very friendly and would come up and rub my legs whenever I went out- something the feral strays are too skittish to do. He also stayed in my fenced back yard most of the time and would come running to greet me when I went out.

Kirk is the big gray cat on the left.

Well late Sunday night I heard a large dog growling fiercely just outside the south fence. I looked out the side door but it was too dark to see anything and by then the dog was gone. I thought no more about it until Monday morning I went out to feed my strays as usual and saw Kirk (as I called him) laying on the patio. Right off I realized something was wrong because he didn't jump up to greet me as usual and I could see blood on his gray coat. I poured the food in the bowls and the other cats began eating but kirk just lay there staring at them. Not a good sign.

After the other cats left I took a slice of ham out to give Kirk but I didn't see him anywhere. This was strange- how could a cat who couldn't get up to eat manage to get over the fence- and why? I went around the front and after much looking found him laying behind a bush just outside the north fence. I put the ham down in front of him but he just stared at me with big sad eyes. It was unsettling.

I went back in to tend to some things but a little later I went back out to see if Kirk had ate the ham. No- it was still there- but now Kirk was gone. I'm pretty sure he had used his last strength to crawled into the heavy brush that's in the next lot. Well there was no way I could find him in there so I went back in, but I had a feeling I would never see him again- and I haven't.

I realize now he must have had internal injuries and hemorrhaging inside and that long sad look he gave me was saying "Thank you for taking care of me- and Good bye". I guess animals know when their life is over.

. . . . .

Marseil
Marseil

May 24th, 2012, 7:19 am #2

I'm totally with you Nat. I hate live dogs.

Marseil.

Nat

May 24th, 2012, 3:27 pm #3

Well I don't hate all dogs, I've had many over the years.
There are good dogs and bad dogs like there are good people and bad people.
I just hate bad dogs (and bad people) who hurt others.

I'm pretty sure it was the big German-Shepard that lives down the road.
Normally it's not let out to run loose like this.
Just unfortunate that Kirk chose the wrong night to take a walk.
. . . . .

Bob
Bob

May 24th, 2012, 6:45 pm #4

As you may know I live in the boonies and over the years I've fed a number of stray cats that come and go. My current favorite was a large gray cat- a 'Russia-blue' I think they're called. It must have been somebody's abandoned house cat because he was very friendly and would come up and rub my legs whenever I went out- something the feral strays are too skittish to do. He also stayed in my fenced back yard most of the time and would come running to greet me when I went out.

Kirk is the big gray cat on the left.

Well late Sunday night I heard a large dog growling fiercely just outside the south fence. I looked out the side door but it was too dark to see anything and by then the dog was gone. I thought no more about it until Monday morning I went out to feed my strays as usual and saw Kirk (as I called him) laying on the patio. Right off I realized something was wrong because he didn't jump up to greet me as usual and I could see blood on his gray coat. I poured the food in the bowls and the other cats began eating but kirk just lay there staring at them. Not a good sign.

After the other cats left I took a slice of ham out to give Kirk but I didn't see him anywhere. This was strange- how could a cat who couldn't get up to eat manage to get over the fence- and why? I went around the front and after much looking found him laying behind a bush just outside the north fence. I put the ham down in front of him but he just stared at me with big sad eyes. It was unsettling.

I went back in to tend to some things but a little later I went back out to see if Kirk had ate the ham. No- it was still there- but now Kirk was gone. I'm pretty sure he had used his last strength to crawled into the heavy brush that's in the next lot. Well there was no way I could find him in there so I went back in, but I had a feeling I would never see him again- and I haven't.

I realize now he must have had internal injuries and hemorrhaging inside and that long sad look he gave me was saying "Thank you for taking care of me- and Good bye". I guess animals know when their life is over.

. . . . .
Nat, I am willing to make the sacrifice of giving you our two beloved cats, one male and one female, both fixed and both with voracious appetites. Best to keep them outside though, as they do not have good house manners and can really take a toil on the furnishings. Just let me know.

Nat

May 24th, 2012, 7:38 pm #5

Appreciate the offer Bob but there's no shortage of cats in Florida.
And I've still got more than I need.

. . . . .