going braless

going braless

November 13th, 2004, 6:48 pm #1

I am seveteen and am wearing no bra. Instead of wearing a bra i have decided to wear a tight t-shirt to prevent anyone else noticing. Please can you tell me the best alternative to a bar which will be tight so no one will notice i am not wearing a bra. I want to wear something which will stop my breasts from bouncing when doing vigorous exercise.

Thank you

Nat

November 13th, 2004, 10:22 pm #2

I'm sure you will get some suggestions from the other women here.
It will be nice when a woman can go brafree without worrying about 'hiding' the fact.

John Bayko
John Bayko

November 13th, 2004, 10:33 pm #3

I am seveteen and am wearing no bra. Instead of wearing a bra i have decided to wear a tight t-shirt to prevent anyone else noticing. Please can you tell me the best alternative to a bar which will be tight so no one will notice i am not wearing a bra. I want to wear something which will stop my breasts from bouncing when doing vigorous exercise.

Thank you
"Please can you tell me the best alternative to a [bra] which will be tight so no one will notice i am not wearing a bra."

It sounds like there's little difference between what you're describing and a sports bra. If that makes you comfortable, why not wear one? The point of not wearing a bra is for your comfort (and peace of mind, if you're concerned about health aspects and believe bras make a difference), it is not because there is something inherently evil about bras. You would not be betraying the "bra-free sisterhood" by wearing a bra for exercise or other occasions - or even most of the time if that's genuinely what makes you happiest (not because of social pressure).

The main difference between a sports bra (basically a stretchy top) and an underwire or other dressing bra is that the sports bras are meant to hold breasts down to prevent movement, while the others raise them and make them more prominent. Women I've talked to say sports bras are more comfortable, but they do prefer having breasts that are more visible, so sacrifice their comfort for fashion or attention (that's a fine balance - most women do want some attention, but not too much).

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

November 13th, 2004, 10:49 pm #4

Thank you
It's terific to see younger people here. I was not sure of the problem here - are you worried about people seeing your breast move with exercise, or because of discomfort. If it hurts, a sports bra is the most efficient way of reducing movement.

Have you tried a tank top with a shelf bra?

michaela
michaela

November 14th, 2004, 2:26 am #5

"Please can you tell me the best alternative to a [bra] which will be tight so no one will notice i am not wearing a bra."

It sounds like there's little difference between what you're describing and a sports bra. If that makes you comfortable, why not wear one? The point of not wearing a bra is for your comfort (and peace of mind, if you're concerned about health aspects and believe bras make a difference), it is not because there is something inherently evil about bras. You would not be betraying the "bra-free sisterhood" by wearing a bra for exercise or other occasions - or even most of the time if that's genuinely what makes you happiest (not because of social pressure).

The main difference between a sports bra (basically a stretchy top) and an underwire or other dressing bra is that the sports bras are meant to hold breasts down to prevent movement, while the others raise them and make them more prominent. Women I've talked to say sports bras are more comfortable, but they do prefer having breasts that are more visible, so sacrifice their comfort for fashion or attention (that's a fine balance - most women do want some attention, but not too much).
At age seventeen I guess a young woman is very concerned about appearances. And if a seventeen year old is an athlete she would not want to be distracted by a bouncing bust. However, a sports bra is a very restricting garment meant to mash the breasts flat to the chest to minimize movement. They are more constricting than any other bra, in my opinion. Lycra/spandex active wear tops could be the answer. But of course it all depends on the size and comfort of Anon.

Nat

November 14th, 2004, 2:48 am #6

This brings up an interesting question: if a woman knows her breasts are going to bounce and fully expects it, would she really find it distracting? Wouldn't it just be a part her natural movement?

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

November 14th, 2004, 3:03 am #7

That's why we need to find out what the problem actually is. Larger breasts move more, and are more likely to cause discomfort.

Sports bras have been shown to be th most efficient at reducing the degree of movement. If it is just inconvenience or embarassment, then Michaela's suggestion is a good one.

Nat

November 14th, 2004, 3:23 am #8

Well the question is how much of this "discomfort" is really physical- or psychological?
When I was involved with the naturists movement (no pun intended here) I knew some pretty large breasted women who were quite active athletically, and seem to have no problem with their bouncing breasts, so it leads me to wonder what different about these women other than that they accept this bouncing as a natural part of being a woman and having breasts.

I could use the same analogy with men and their dangling bits- some find movement and lack of support very uncomfortable while others enjoy hanging loose and movement. The classic "boxers vs briefs" argument.

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

November 14th, 2004, 3:38 am #9

Actually Nat, breast pain is quite common without movement and a proportion of women are limited in the amount of exercise they can do because of pain. It has been demonstrated that the amount of pain is related to the amount of movement of the nipple from its starting position, and that the more you can reduce breast movement the better you control pain.

This does not mean you should wear a bra to exercise - many do not. However it does acknowledge that there is a significant number of women whose ability to exercise is limited by pain, and they may be helped by some degree of restriction.

Nat

November 14th, 2004, 4:16 am #10

Well as I said before, these were well-breasted women who bounced quite a bit- playing tennis and volleyball or even jogging and didn't seem to be in any pain that I could tell. Oh the other hand, I saw much smaller breasted women who did complaint and avoided athletic activities.

I have to think that some of it is just conditioning- just like when you play that first game of tennis in the spring after sitting around all winter you are apt to have sore muscles but with continued exercise the pain goes away.