God and Conservatives

God and Conservatives

M. Alinsky
M. Alinsky

July 21st, 2003, 1:17 pm #1

OK, I don't mean get off topic or to bring up religion here, but I have to repost this. Someone posted this on a political BBS I frequent. Anyone who wants to understand the mentality of the "religious right" in this country only needs to read this. It's really sad that in this day an age we still have to have to debate issues such as abortion, sex education, and religion in schools. Now, mind you, I am pro gun owners' rights, so I'm not sympathetic to the idea that gun owners are responsible for massacres in schools. I find it disturbing to read things like this, though, because I know I sizable majority of the population, especially in the bible belt states, want to bring religion back into public schools:

Dear God:

Why didn't you save the school children at . . .

Moses Lake, Washington 2/2/96

Bethel , Alaska 2/19/97

Pearl , Mississippi 10/1/97

West Paducah , Kentucky 12/1/97

Stamps, Arkansas 12/15/97

Jonesboro , Arkansas 3/24/98

Edinboro , Pennsylvania 4/24/98

Fayetteville , Tennessee 5/19/98

Springfield , Oregon 5/21/98

Richmond , Virginia 6/15/98

Littleton , Colorado 4/20/99

Taber , Alberta , Canada 5/28/99

Conyers , Georgia 5/20/99

Deming , New Mexico 11/19/99

Fort Gibson , Oklahoma 12/6/99

Santee , California 3/5/01 and

El Cajon , California 3/22/01 ?

Sincerely, Concerned Student

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply:

Dear Concerned Student:

I am not allowed in schools.

Sincerely, God

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 21st, 2003, 3:06 pm #2

Sorry, I didn't mean "sizable majority"; I meant sizeable segment.

jaerke
jaerke

July 21st, 2003, 4:43 pm #3

OK, I don't mean get off topic or to bring up religion here, but I have to repost this. Someone posted this on a political BBS I frequent. Anyone who wants to understand the mentality of the "religious right" in this country only needs to read this. It's really sad that in this day an age we still have to have to debate issues such as abortion, sex education, and religion in schools. Now, mind you, I am pro gun owners' rights, so I'm not sympathetic to the idea that gun owners are responsible for massacres in schools. I find it disturbing to read things like this, though, because I know I sizable majority of the population, especially in the bible belt states, want to bring religion back into public schools:

Dear God:

Bethel , Alaska 2/19/97

Reply:

Dear Concerned Student:

Sincerely, God

What I don't get in your message is why people should be able to have a gun in the 21st century. Would there be a massacre like the ones you mention, if people didn't have guns? I'm from Europe and your message proves to me again that lots of Americans still live in the Wild West. And what's even worse: the same Americans call their country "God's own country". Who brought this silly idea into their minds? So please stop this nonsense!

M. Alinsky
M. Alinsky

July 21st, 2003, 5:07 pm #4

Well, all I can say is that gun control has proven again and again to fail. Great Britain is a classic example of how gun control fails to deter crime.
As far as religious fanatics go, what can I say? I didn't ask to be born into this sanctimonious country I live in (actually I'm hoping to leave as soon as I graduate and find a real job.) No matter which developed nation you live in, there's always some element of barbarism present; it vaires from country to country. In America, it's violence and religious extremism. In Europe, well,... it's lack of air-conditioning.

JB
JB

July 21st, 2003, 6:53 pm #5

What I don't get in your message is why people should be able to have a gun in the 21st century. Would there be a massacre like the ones you mention, if people didn't have guns? I'm from Europe and your message proves to me again that lots of Americans still live in the Wild West. And what's even worse: the same Americans call their country "God's own country". Who brought this silly idea into their minds? So please stop this nonsense!
In the US, guns are a fact of life. Some people have them for self-defense, some are collectors, some are hunters. I don't have a problem with responsible gun owners, but I do have a problem with criminals, people with mental problems, and children having access to guns or any other dangerous weapon.

I think that those of you who live in countries where guns have never been a part of the culture are fortunate and you have every right to keep it that way, but in this country, we have to tolerate guns so long as people are responsible about gun ownership.

There is one well-known American who is going to other countries trying to promote gun ownership. I think he is wrong for doing that and he should mind his own business in his own country.

JB
JB

July 21st, 2003, 6:57 pm #6

Well, all I can say is that gun control has proven again and again to fail. Great Britain is a classic example of how gun control fails to deter crime.
As far as religious fanatics go, what can I say? I didn't ask to be born into this sanctimonious country I live in (actually I'm hoping to leave as soon as I graduate and find a real job.) No matter which developed nation you live in, there's always some element of barbarism present; it vaires from country to country. In America, it's violence and religious extremism. In Europe, well,... it's lack of air-conditioning.
But if you leave, who will fight the extremists?
I can't do it all by myself ;)

D.K.
D.K.

July 21st, 2003, 7:00 pm #7

In the US, guns are a fact of life. Some people have them for self-defense, some are collectors, some are hunters. I don't have a problem with responsible gun owners, but I do have a problem with criminals, people with mental problems, and children having access to guns or any other dangerous weapon.

I think that those of you who live in countries where guns have never been a part of the culture are fortunate and you have every right to keep it that way, but in this country, we have to tolerate guns so long as people are responsible about gun ownership.

There is one well-known American who is going to other countries trying to promote gun ownership. I think he is wrong for doing that and he should mind his own business in his own country.
Well I'm as American as they come, but there is something wrong when more people are killed by guns than in the next five western nations combined. This is especially strange when the country is so conservative about everything else.

JB
JB

July 21st, 2003, 7:17 pm #8

I think part of the problem is that some gun dealers are not doing the required checks before they deliver a gun to a buyer and that people can avoid the checks by buying the gun from a person who is not a gun dealer (in some states). The dealers who are not doing the required checks are not being prosecuted, AFAIK. I saw on television just a week or so ago that one dealer was not doing the checks and several weapons he sold were used to commit crimes.

I agree that it is illogical that some people are so unconcerned about guns but so conservative on other issues.

Q
Q

July 21st, 2003, 7:23 pm #9

Dear God:

Bethel , Alaska 2/19/97

Reply:

Dear Concerned Student:

Sincerely, God

I am conservative. I'm not sure what you are trying to say but I will say this. If guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns. I would wager that the guns used in crimes are not registered and were purchased on the street and not a gun shop.

D.K.
D.K.

July 21st, 2003, 7:41 pm #10

'If guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns."

So how do you explain that in countries where guns are illegal there is only a fraction as much gun-crime as in the U.S.?