Go Kansas -- or back to the topic at hand (?)

Go Kansas -- or back to the topic at hand (?)

March 12th, 2006, 1:29 pm #1

From the it's about time or the why was it necessary camp....

(Pull tongue out of cheek) This is good to see. You GO Girl (Gov).

--------------------------------

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14031484.htm

Sebelius signs breast feeding bill into law

TOPEKA � Kansas now has a law supporting a woman�s right to breast-feed any place she has a right to be.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius signed the bill into law this morning.

The law creates a public policy statement that a mother�s choice to breast-feed should be supported and says that a mother may breast-feed any place she has a right to be. It also exempts nursing mothers from jury duty.

The act takes effect upon its publication in the Kansas register.

michaela
michaela

March 12th, 2006, 3:35 pm #2

That's excellent!

March 12th, 2006, 3:45 pm #3

TOPEKA � Kansas now has a law supporting a woman�s right to breast-feed any place she has a right to be.

The law creates a public policy statement that a mother�s choice to breast-feed should be supported and says that a mother may breast-feed any place she has a right to be. It also exempts nursing mothers from jury duty.

That's what they should've done all along. How is a woman breastfeeding her child (something natural) hurting anyone else? If others don't want to see it they should just turn their heads.

March 12th, 2006, 9:15 pm #4

Thumbs up from this side of the pond too. It's been legal to breastfeed in public in the UK for sometime - presumably for similar reasons as to the Kansas statute - but it is rarely seen. Mothers with babies, infants and children meet at some favoured tea room or coffee shop, but it seems that they prefer to produce a bottle with expressed milk rather than suffer the stares that exposing their breasts would generate. Mind you, the one time I've seen a woman breastfeed in public, it was done so discretely with nothing on show, I did the classic double take.
What would the women in this forum do: expose a breast or express the milk into a bottle?

Boreas
Boreas

March 12th, 2006, 10:15 pm #5

Well, that is awesome news. Is the US becoming more civilized after all?

I was amazed recently to discover that the breast feeding in public issue in the US wasn't about bare breasts, it include discreet breast feeding. Sheesh. I don't believe that is even an issue this side of the border. We have several provinces that allow topfreedom for women, where ever it is okay for men. We have made same sex marriage legal. Breastfeeding is not even a concern.

michaela
michaela

March 13th, 2006, 12:38 am #6

Thumbs up from this side of the pond too. It's been legal to breastfeed in public in the UK for sometime - presumably for similar reasons as to the Kansas statute - but it is rarely seen. Mothers with babies, infants and children meet at some favoured tea room or coffee shop, but it seems that they prefer to produce a bottle with expressed milk rather than suffer the stares that exposing their breasts would generate. Mind you, the one time I've seen a woman breastfeed in public, it was done so discretely with nothing on show, I did the classic double take.
What would the women in this forum do: expose a breast or express the milk into a bottle?
I would, and did, discretely breastfed in public. I tried to express milk, only because for some reason I was told I needed a breast pump, so we got me one, but I never could see the need...and it was hard to do. It was terrible. I would much rather breastfeed my baby!

Bob
Bob

March 13th, 2006, 12:56 am #7

Well, that is awesome news. Is the US becoming more civilized after all?

I was amazed recently to discover that the breast feeding in public issue in the US wasn't about bare breasts, it include discreet breast feeding. Sheesh. I don't believe that is even an issue this side of the border. We have several provinces that allow topfreedom for women, where ever it is okay for men. We have made same sex marriage legal. Breastfeeding is not even a concern.

A non-issue? As Reg noted, in UK women have been able for some time to publicly breastfeed, but few do. Why do you think that is? Would most women only breastfeed publicly to prove a point (make a stake for "Women's Rights") but not otherwise? This would NOT be the first time we have seen this. For example, women have shown themselves quite capable of being promiscuous to SHOW that they are as "sexually liberated" as men. But, when the point no longer needs "proven", it seems women are demonstrably less inclined toward indiscriminate promiscuity. So, I would expect that nursing mothers who ARE NOT concerned with making a point WOULD NOT prefer to have the general public looking at their naked breasts as they suckle offspring.

P.S. to Boreas: PLEASE don't think anything positive about the United States of America. You know your heart (nor those of your countrymen) would not be in it . . and far be it from these hideous people south of your border to cause you any disappointment. We SHALL prove to you our lesser development . . . you just KNOW IT!

Boreas
Boreas

March 13th, 2006, 1:24 am #8

Bob, are you saying that breastfeeding is a promiscuous act? Are you suggesting it is a sexual act? Please tell me I misinterpretted your comments!!!!

I personally think it ought to be a non-issue as you suggest. I agree, that when there is a fight for rights people are more inclined to push boundaries. So, have some folks become complacent? Today in church a grandmother was holding her 4ish month old grandson. He became a little fussy and she took him downstairs to his mother in the Sunday School. A contented lad came up a while later in his mother's arms. Did she feed him? I don't know. If she did, I have no idea if she did it in a private corner or somewhere where others were around her. I'd like to think she could have breastfed her son in the sanctuary without comment or suggestions of sexual exhibitionism. Knowing the mother, she would have put a covering over her. In fact this sight is common enough in certain areas to not be noticed.

As for thinking the best of the US......I am thinking that your society is going to hell in a handbasket! With your current administration, how could you do anything else???? The sad thing is, that Canada follows American trends a few years later. I heard a commedian describe our new Prime Minister as being like Bush without the warmth. YIKES!!!!! (too true!)

John Bayko
John Bayko

March 13th, 2006, 1:38 am #9

"Bob, are you saying that breastfeeding is a promiscuous act?"

"Promiscuous" also means something done openly and unashamedly, without specifying what. For example, "The Liberals' promiscuous spending on sponsorship programs in Québec was ripe for the type of abuse which eventually occurred".

michaela
michaela

March 13th, 2006, 4:26 am #10

A non-issue? As Reg noted, in UK women have been able for some time to publicly breastfeed, but few do. Why do you think that is? Would most women only breastfeed publicly to prove a point (make a stake for "Women's Rights") but not otherwise? This would NOT be the first time we have seen this. For example, women have shown themselves quite capable of being promiscuous to SHOW that they are as "sexually liberated" as men. But, when the point no longer needs "proven", it seems women are demonstrably less inclined toward indiscriminate promiscuity. So, I would expect that nursing mothers who ARE NOT concerned with making a point WOULD NOT prefer to have the general public looking at their naked breasts as they suckle offspring.

P.S. to Boreas: PLEASE don't think anything positive about the United States of America. You know your heart (nor those of your countrymen) would not be in it . . and far be it from these hideous people south of your border to cause you any disappointment. We SHALL prove to you our lesser development . . . you just KNOW IT!
I don't believe most women have anything but feeding their hungry babies in mind when they breastfeed in public. We women are in public these days. Much more so then we ever were in the past. I know some women use breastfeeding to demonstrate. But that isn't what is on the mind of most, I'm quite sure. Just being able to be out and about with a baby is a treat, and breastfeeding is the most convenient and portable means to feed baby that there is.