Global Warming???

Global Warming???

Nat

January 12th, 2010, 5:39 am #1

I haven't heard much about global warming lately and if anyone is smart they won't be talking about it around here. Its been below normal for two weeks now and it was 27 degrees last night. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal to you guys up north but it has been a disaster down here. Besides ruining the tourist business it has caused millions of dollars in crop damage, destroyed many expensive tropical plants, and even killed many fish because even the waters have gotten cold. Some schools were closed today because they have inadequate heating systems and there have been wide spread power failures because almost everyone uses electric heat here and the power grids couldn't handle the load. What has made it so bad has been the duration- it's not unusual to have a freezing night or two when a cold front pushes down from up north but because there is usually a lot of "stored" heat in the ground and waters and houses, a cold night or two isn't a problem but it's been below normal for so long we have lost that stored heat reserve so there was nothing to meliorate that last punch of arctic air. Fortunately the weatherman says we are should be getting back to normal by the weekend but I have a idea old man winter has more trouble in store for us this year.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

January 12th, 2010, 3:45 pm #2

I heard there was ice in Miami. They were interviewing some guy on the radio and he was like "there was this grey substance on my windshield"

Iguanas falling out of trees!!

Nat

January 12th, 2010, 5:16 pm #3

I heard there was sleet in the northern parts and wide-spread frost everywhere. Also many people have sprinkler systems that come on at night which created mini-ice storms. Between the destroyed crops, plants, fish and animals and the cost of heating (very expensive with electricity), this is costing many millions of dollars- the last thing we needed in a fragile economy. Then come spring we may have a lot of problems with brush fires because dead foliage burns like crazy.

Brandon
Brandon

January 13th, 2010, 1:59 am #4

I haven't heard much about global warming lately and if anyone is smart they won't be talking about it around here. Its been below normal for two weeks now and it was 27 degrees last night. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal to you guys up north but it has been a disaster down here. Besides ruining the tourist business it has caused millions of dollars in crop damage, destroyed many expensive tropical plants, and even killed many fish because even the waters have gotten cold. Some schools were closed today because they have inadequate heating systems and there have been wide spread power failures because almost everyone uses electric heat here and the power grids couldn't handle the load. What has made it so bad has been the duration- it's not unusual to have a freezing night or two when a cold front pushes down from up north but because there is usually a lot of "stored" heat in the ground and waters and houses, a cold night or two isn't a problem but it's been below normal for so long we have lost that stored heat reserve so there was nothing to meliorate that last punch of arctic air. Fortunately the weatherman says we are should be getting back to normal by the weekend but I have a idea old man winter has more trouble in store for us this year.
There is a difference between weather and climate. So, a very cold winter does not disprove global warming. On the other hand several hot summers does not prove there is global warming.

Personally, I believe there probably has been some increase in global temperatures over the last 100 years. Where I differ with the Al Gores of the world is that I don't think it can be proven that this is manmade instead of just a natural cycle.

I also don't believe the "solutions" touted by the Obama administration like "cap and trade" would do anything to solve the issue even if it was a real problem. The global warming alarmists can never tell you what the ideal temperature for the earth should be, what it was in 1979, 1879, 1279?

Nat

January 13th, 2010, 3:16 am #5

As I understand it, there has actually been a over-all cooling trend in recent years leaving environmentalists in a quandary. So some are now calling it "climate change" rather than "global warming". For rather its warming or cooling, there seems to be general agreement that weather patterns are changing- some areas are getting warming while others are cooling. And many areas- like the US west are experiencing severe droughts. The Hoover dam reservoir is at all-time low level. But I agree that it has not been proven that man is responsible. Weather has been going through various cycles for thousands of years. The only thing different about this one is a unprecedented high carbon dioxide level. But no one can be sure what effect this is having.

Or maybe we are just in the "end times" leading up to 2012.

Bob
Bob

January 13th, 2010, 6:08 pm #6

I'm certainly no expert, but my understanding is that warming followed by cooling is part of the same phenomenon. As the planet warms and vast parts of ice shelves melt, this releases vast amounts of fresh water into the oceans. Deep "conveyor" ocean currents circulate warmth from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere. But, the conveyor needs salty water to work. So, if warming/melting diluted the salinity of the oceans, the conveyor could stop, resulting in much colder temps in the north. This is one explanation I have heard for why warming could also result in cooling (e.g., a new ice age)

One question that occurs to me: If warm water from the southern hemisphere helps to warm the northern hemisphere, and if that "conveyor" no longer works and the north gets colder, does the southern hemisphere get warmer due to heat not be transferred north? ????

Nat

January 14th, 2010, 1:18 am #7

Well its a very complex thing- a lot has to do with the position of the jet stream that zig-zags around the hemisphere. This recent cold outbreak here was caused by a unusually strong high-pressure system over Ohio that sent the jet-stream funneling a constant supply of cold arctic air deep into the south. Usually pressure systems are constantly moving but this one just sat there keeping the cold air coming day after day.

I've read that as the arctic ice melts the soil and water absorb more of the sun's heat than reflective snow, so it's regenerative- melting ice causes even more ice to melt. But while we have all seen photos of ice melting in the arctic, I've read that the ice cap in the antarctic is actually growing.

So I don't think you can say the planet as a whole is doing any one thing- some parts are getting warming and some cooler. Some wetter- some dryer. The one thing I've concluded is nobody really knows. There's a Professor Gray who every year predicts how many hurricanes there will be. I don't know why because every year he's wrong. He said 2009 was going to be a bad hurricane year- it turned out to be one of the quietest ever. Meteorologists can barely tell you what's going to happen tomorrow- much less months and years from now.

Nat

January 15th, 2010, 4:58 am #8

I'm happy to report Florida is beginning to get back to normal. It was 71º today- and its suppose to be 78º tomorrow!
It's nice to come out of hibernation of my computer room and walk around without it feeling like being in a frig.

But there sure is a lot a brown grass and death shrubbery around now. Even the neighbors who covered their plants didn't fair too well. But at least now I don't have the worse looking yard in the neighborhood.

Bob
Bob

January 15th, 2010, 5:27 pm #9

For a while, temps were down around 10 degrees, with wind chill factor about 0 degrees, but now seeing lows in 20's and highs around 40. Welcome break.

Nat

January 16th, 2010, 2:33 am #10

Everything is relative isn't it. I think there is a 30 degree difference in our standards.

But we really aren't equipped to handle freezing temps down here. The heating systems can't handle it, the shrubbery can't handle it, the crops can't handle it, the animals can't handle it, the fish can't handle it, and the people can't handle it!

We are going to have a rainy weekend but at least no cold weather is in sight for now. But while the cold is gone, the damage remains- a lot of brown dead vegetation. I feel especially bad for the farmers and citrus growers. Many lost all their crops. I know how they feel. When we first moved down we wanted a pretty "Florida" yard and planted lots of colorful tropical plants and trees. A lot of work and money. Well the following winter was like last week- and killed nearly everything we planted. I was so disgusted I've never planted anything cold-fragile since. The cold-hearty plants aren't as pretty but they will have to do. I'm just glad my livelihood isn't at the mercy of the weather. I couldn't stand that.