Gas , cars, gas......

Gas , cars, gas......

peter
peter

August 15th, 2006, 11:15 am #1

It has been awhile since this topic was brought up, but the past few weeks have been rather active with regard to the Middle East and pipe line "problems" so I was wondering as to how everyone is fairing.
-Have any of you seen an increase in prices at your pumps?
-Are any considering buying a more economical vehicle now?
-Will any of you be impacted this winter by the price of heating oil, and if so are you investigating alternatives?

Nat

August 15th, 2006, 1:42 pm #2

Well I do very little driving these days. Since I’m solo now- except for a dog and cat, a once a week trip to a little shopping center just down the road is usually all I need. My normal work location is so close I can ride a scooter or goftcart. Even the weekly trips to the studio for staff meetings have about ended since I’ve convinced them I can handle most matters involving me over the phone. And now they have a intern who runs parts out when I need them.

As for gas- I haven’t seen a big rise lately but it’s a little over $3/gal here. I don’t heat with oil- or do much heating at all here in Florida, but no-doubt electricity costs are rising since much of it is generated by oil here. The local power co. converted their old coal-fired plant over to oil about ten years ago and I bet now they wish they hadn’t.

Bob
Bob

August 16th, 2006, 1:34 am #3

It has been awhile since this topic was brought up, but the past few weeks have been rather active with regard to the Middle East and pipe line "problems" so I was wondering as to how everyone is fairing.
-Will any of you be impacted this winter by the price of heating oil, and if so are you investigating alternatives?

The price has been going down. A couple of weeks ago, regular was $2.999. Then, the past week or so it dropped to $2.859 - $2.789. Today, several stations were at $2.699. Not sure why the price decrease, given the pipeline shutdown in Alaska, the conflicts in Middle East and the political hostility toward U.S. by Venezuela . . . I don't expect the price decrease to hold, so its likely a momentary respite.

I had considered buying a new GM car to support the workers and company, but the prospect of future gas prices of $4.00/gal., $5.00 or higher makes 30 mpg seem less impressive. I'd prefer to consider some of the more fuel-efficient models (e.g., hybrids) in they aren't too expensive . . but most of the attractive (to me) models are foreign makes that don't fulfill my desire to "Buy American" (yes, I know Toyotas, Hondas, etc. are made in U.S. . . but its not the same to me). The domestic automakers have, again, been slow to address market demands (e.g., one of the few American hybrid models is the Ford Escape, and it sort of defeats the purpose to me to mate fuel-efficient technology with an SUV). I might wait to make that purchase until I can get what I want.

peter
peter

August 16th, 2006, 2:44 am #4

Prices here are hovering around 2.89 to 3.00.
I heep looking at the hybrids as well. I too am not really impressed with the American products yet. The savings in fuel doesn't quite justify the cost of the vehicle. I say this while getting 10 + mpg in my truck...oh well
I have been looking at diesel trucks and the possibilty of making my own bio diesel.

frank d
frank d

August 16th, 2006, 9:00 am #5

City dwellers who don't drive are paying for the boost in gas prices by
buying simple items like food, having a package sent by air, or commuting by taxicab. It takes gasoline for products to be delivered by truck,train or air Not being part of the motoring public doesn't help much, since the cost of higher fuel is passed on to consumers.

peter
peter

August 16th, 2006, 11:01 am #6

I know. Consumers on the whole are feeling the effect.
I live in a small rural Texas town, and the costs are typically high here as a rule because of simple supply and demand. Now with the added factor of transportation costs rising, the grocery stoore here can gouge us even more.

Nat

August 16th, 2006, 12:39 pm #7

City dwellers who don't drive are paying for the boost in gas prices by
buying simple items like food, having a package sent by air, or commuting by taxicab. It takes gasoline for products to be delivered by truck,train or air Not being part of the motoring public doesn't help much, since the cost of higher fuel is passed on to consumers.
Well this is certainly true. There is no product or service that anyone uses that will not impacted by higher oil costs. And already many businesses are starting to raise prices. What I fear will happen is what happen in the 1970s when the first oil price rises coupled with deficit financing of the Viet Nam war began an inflationary cycle which reached ridiculous double-digit levels by 1980 and caused many factories to close. Well we have exactly the same situation again- the only difference is that Iraq has replaced Viet Nam- but it’s the same set-up for economic disaster in this country. I hate to be a pessimist but writing is on the wall.

Shadow
Shadow

August 16th, 2006, 2:11 pm #8

I am on the verge of furious! (so what else is new, right?) I am seeing the price of everything soar. Groceries, electricity...how is it that the price of oil effects electricity? I don't get that... I am seeing everything we need become so expensive that we can't have it any more. Has anyone here noticed that the minimum wage in this country, $5.25, is still exactly the same as it has been for years?

I filled out an application to work in the "Huge Ass Elite Bike Shop" of Austin the other day. (I probably won't get the job because I do not have any experience in retail selling fashion to women who shop for clothes and make up all day while their husbands make money til it falls out their ass.) They seem to think their is a correllation between selling clothes at the mall experience and bike equipment. I don't know! Beats me!

Anyway...another rabbit trail! Ha! I don't know if it will work out to have a job there. It is a long drive and I think my whole check will go to buy gas. And I drive a four cyclinder car! I know the pay will suck. It would be cheaper to stay home and not work. Why hasn't the wage for retail workers and the like, minimum wage, gone up with the price of everything else? How is anyone supposed to keep up with this insanity? How is anyone supposed to live? I see a revolution is needed. How do I start it?

Shadow
Shadow

August 16th, 2006, 2:21 pm #9

How is it that Exxon/Mobile made more than $10,000,000,000 in profit this last quarter? Why are we tolerating this? Are people so lazy now that they will complain about a problem, but no one will lift a finger to do a thing to change it? Like push all their SUV's over a cliff and tell the finance companies to bite the wall when they default on the loans!

Nat

August 16th, 2006, 5:08 pm #10

Let’s be realistic here- the president and congress are in the back pockets of the oil industry. They are not going to do anything about it. The only way to change things if for the voters to clean house and vote the crooks out. Unfortunately, the politicians have so gerrymandered the voting districts that this is almost impossible so the same crooks keep going back year after year. Congress has a great set-up- they make the rules- and they make the rules so they always win. Pretty neat huh?