Gang Showers

Gang Showers

Jim (M)
Jim (M)

April 4th, 2011, 11:02 pm #1

I just joined a new gym recently. It's a small strip mall street front facility and pretty cheap...$13 a month. Has everything I need. However it is the first gym I have belonged to that has a "gang shower". Maybe that's why most of the guys I have seen coming and going do so in their workout clothes. Most of the guys in the locker room do not freeball. Most do not take showers. I have only seen a few shower or freeball. Won't stop me however...freeballing or using the showers.

Nat

April 5th, 2011, 1:41 am #2

I don't think locker rooms are an accurate way to judge the number of freeballers because many freeballers will freeball anywhere- EXCEPT where it will be seen- like in a locker room- since they don't want to be seen as violating social norms. Too bad because if enough would it would encourage others to as well.

Thrilling Discussions: POTPOURRI

Jenn
Jenn

April 5th, 2011, 1:58 am #3

I just joined a new gym recently. It's a small strip mall street front facility and pretty cheap...$13 a month. Has everything I need. However it is the first gym I have belonged to that has a "gang shower". Maybe that's why most of the guys I have seen coming and going do so in their workout clothes. Most of the guys in the locker room do not freeball. Most do not take showers. I have only seen a few shower or freeball. Won't stop me however...freeballing or using the showers.
Well, I'm not sure about "gang showers" as such...but I know that I had to go up to my boys school and insist that they be given time to take a shower after PE. Apparently, none of the boys did and my kids came home - reeking pretty good. They said we had PE today - so I asked if they didnt take a shower? Nope - nobody does. Seriously?

I couldn't imagine a room full of stinky kids lol. So I went up and they actually didnt want to let them even though there were showers there. Apparently we are so afraid of skin that even cleaning up after sweating is to risky. Ridiculous. So - after a much longer discussion than it should have been we finally got "approval".

Now my boys were known to try sneaking out going commando (at the time I was not keen on them going to school or church without underwear - although I was ok pretty much anywhere else - these days of course, well I dont worry about it to much) so I presume that they dont mind going commando and showering. Although often at PE (Im smart enough not to assume always) they do wear jocks.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but figured I'd share. They are probably much younger than you but...thats the story from here.

Nat

April 5th, 2011, 2:39 am #4

When I was in school PE showers were routine and mandatory. And even if you were shy about it you made damn sure you didn't show it because any kid that did was teased unmercifully.

But during the 1980s this totally reversed and being bashful became the norm.
Now many school showers have been turned into storage rooms.

Thrilling Discussions: POTPOURRI

Peter
Peter

April 5th, 2011, 6:14 am #5

This subject is also discussed in a link I posted under the heading PE Kit about three weeks ago!

Jim (M)
Jim (M)

April 5th, 2011, 4:14 pm #6

He Peter....looked for the PE Kit..found it posted seven months ago...interesting reading.

April 5th, 2011, 6:42 pm #7

Well, I'm not sure about "gang showers" as such...but I know that I had to go up to my boys school and insist that they be given time to take a shower after PE. Apparently, none of the boys did and my kids came home - reeking pretty good. They said we had PE today - so I asked if they didnt take a shower? Nope - nobody does. Seriously?

I couldn't imagine a room full of stinky kids lol. So I went up and they actually didnt want to let them even though there were showers there. Apparently we are so afraid of skin that even cleaning up after sweating is to risky. Ridiculous. So - after a much longer discussion than it should have been we finally got "approval".

Now my boys were known to try sneaking out going commando (at the time I was not keen on them going to school or church without underwear - although I was ok pretty much anywhere else - these days of course, well I dont worry about it to much) so I presume that they dont mind going commando and showering. Although often at PE (Im smart enough not to assume always) they do wear jocks.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but figured I'd share. They are probably much younger than you but...thats the story from here.
We had showers when I was in junior high and high school, at the end of gym class. They were a hurried affair and for all I remember, it may not have involved the use of soap. There was no particular emphasis on taking showers, although they did like to insist on your stepping in a tray of some sort of disinfectant intended to prevent athlete's foot, I assume, but then you walked back across the same floor barefooted, so I doubt it made much difference. The showers were not supervised in any way.

While the shower in high school was nice and new, the one in junior high was old, old, old. It was the same school my mother graduated high school from in 1932 and it wasn't new then. The changing room was a long, low room with peeling paint and pipes overhead and wooden benches along the sides. The shower was down the hall and around the corner to the shower room; all this was done while naked and in a hurry.

There were no lockers in either school.

A year or two when this subject came up, I asked one of my female collegues here about her phys ed experiences and she informed me (without the slightest embarassment) that they were supposed to take showers but she faked it and never did. I don't recall that gym was a particularly sweaty thing and, besides, we had gym in grade school and just wore regular everyday clothes, even if we went out and played baseball on the bare dirt playground. Oh, but you should have seen how brief the shorts were that we wore in gym in junior high and high school. The girls, on the other hand, wore cute little camp outfits of a button up short sleeved shirt with a Peter Pan collar. Anyone even know what a Peter Pan collar is?

Thumper
Thumper

April 5th, 2011, 10:33 pm #8

Growing up in the 50's and 60's, gang showers were the normal. It was mandatory to shower after gym class, and the coach or someone watched to make sure you did so. During college, the dorms I was in gang showers wer there. Very few people had a problem with them. I usually walked down the hall with a towel around me or naked. Most did the same, so thought nothing of it. Seems like there were 2 towers with 6 heads on each in the high school I went to, and at college, 4 towers with about 6 heads also.

April 6th, 2011, 1:18 am #9

I have enjoyed having "gang showers" for a few years now. When I joined my gym five years ago it was mainly older men who showered. Then about three years ago the owner started showering after his workout. This was followed by his staff when they were off duty and had finished a work out. They are younger men. This seems to have changed the culture in the Gym and now most will shower naked, Some keep their towel close at hand. We are next to a university so get a lot of first year students. This year most have started showering naked. Times may be changing. Fashion here is showing a lot more male flesh this summer. As for free balling. I see a number of men arriving in suits with underwear but after a work out and shower they go home free balling.

I have commented a few times about younger men being less modest here in New Zealand in the last couple of years. Wearing short shorts on the street. Short shorts at the beach. and naked in showers. Is that being repeated in other part of the world.

Ross

Ross NZ
'to your own self be true'

astra888
astra888

April 6th, 2011, 12:20 pm #10

Ross NZ, good to hear that short shorts are coming back in fashion in your country, I hope other countries will soon adopt the short shorts fashion again.

Confirmation of reply: