Florida Topfree 10 Case

Florida Topfree 10 Case

M.A
M.A

December 31st, 2003, 4:06 pm #1

What has happened recently regarding the Florida lawsuit that those 10 women filed against the state?

Anudist
Anudist

December 31st, 2003, 5:27 pm #2

Actually this was a NY case and the basic ruling on the case is that

"women have the right to be topfree anywhere a man has the same right, provided that she (said woman) is not behaving in a lewd manner.

M.A
M.A

December 31st, 2003, 5:35 pm #3

No, this is in Florida. There was a lawsuit filed a few months ago against the state of Florida by 10 pro-breast freedom women in Brever? county, Florida. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if the case has made it to court yet.

JB
JB

December 31st, 2003, 10:09 pm #4

It's in Brevard County, FL and was filed in September. It will go to trial in Federal District Court in Orlando.

Anudist
Anudist

December 31st, 2003, 11:12 pm #5

Why is this case going to a Federal Court???

The reason that I question this is that there are no FEDERAK laws that pertain to nudity.

Nat

December 31st, 2003, 11:50 pm #6

Well I think you can still appeal adverse state court decisions- perhaps based on a violation of civil rights or something like that.

Anudist
Anudist

January 1st, 2004, 3:48 am #7

That's true if some federal right was involved.... "free speech?"

I am not familiar with this case. I know the Rochester 10 but not the FL 10. I will have to do some more research

But nonetheless, I thought that this case was a newly heard case and NOT an appeal.

Hmmm, questions arize!

JB
JB

January 1st, 2004, 4:10 am #8

Why is this case going to a Federal Court???

The reason that I question this is that there are no FEDERAK laws that pertain to nudity.
It's true there are no federal laws relating to nudity, but the cause of action pertains to the US Constitution.

JB
JB

January 1st, 2004, 4:12 am #9

That's true if some federal right was involved.... "free speech?"

I am not familiar with this case. I know the Rochester 10 but not the FL 10. I will have to do some more research

But nonetheless, I thought that this case was a newly heard case and NOT an appeal.

Hmmm, questions arize!
Federal District Court is not an appeals court, IIRC.

Anudist
Anudist

January 1st, 2004, 4:43 am #10

It's true there are no federal laws relating to nudity, but the cause of action pertains to the US Constitution.
Ok, I will admit to being interested in the law but I am NOT a lawyer or a student of the law.

HOWEVER,

How is the action a federal action??? IF Its a free speech issue, will that be positive or negative towards topfreedomness.

Couldn't the court rule that for purposes of free speech a woman could be topfree but for other purposes she'd have to be topped? I personally don't see the rationale for taking this matter to the Federal Courts instead of the local level. Wouldn't it be better to work from the local level on up???