Encounters with social conditioning

Encounters with social conditioning

Nat

November 7th, 2005, 3:05 pm #1

Did anyone happen to catch Steven Spielberg's "Close Encounters of the Third kind" on AMC last night? For the few who have never seen this movie its about earth's visitation from an alien space craft, and specifically the struggle of two individuals (played by Richard Dreyfuss and Melinda Dillon) who meet while pursuing the common goal of being a part of it (for reasons too complex and irrelevant to discuss here).

So what does this have to do with BFF? I note it here because Dreyfuss's co-star Dillon is brafree throughout the entire movie. She wasn't brafree because this was a sex movie- indeed there is nothing about sex in the entire movie. She's brafree because at the time this movie was made in 1976 so many women were going brafree that it was totally reasonable and realistic for the leading female to be brafree.

I mention this because it struck me as I watch this last night how obvious and provocative her brafreedom now seems even though I had thought nothing of it when I first saw this movie 28 years ago. Brafreedom was so common on the streets in those days that it was perfectly natural and un-noteworthy for it to be in movies- not only this one but countless others made in the 1970s with brafree characters. I wonder if this is why you see seldom see 1970s movies on TV now?

Anyway I think what this proves is that our reaction and acceptance of brafreedom is just culturally conditioning. Just as what seem perfectly normal in 1977 now seems conspicuous and provocative (even to me) shows that how we re-act to brafreedom (and top-freedom) is determine by the current cultural norms and just as we were conditioned to accept brafreedom in the 1970s, society can be conditioned to accept it again.

November 9th, 2005, 2:26 pm #2

No I didn't get to see the recent broadcast of that great movie. I have to pull my TV signal out of the air with an old fashioned antenna. But I did see it when it came out and then again a few years later, and I didn't notice that Dillon was brafree. Probably because I was too, and it wasn't an issue. I was too busy noticing Dreyfuss's sunburned face caused by the space craft and his giant potato mountain in the dining room, I guess. Great observation, Nat!

Nat

November 9th, 2005, 2:58 pm #3

Good to see you back Michaela. I've been wondering if I forgot to shower because so many regulars disappeared when I returned!

I remembered that Dillion was brafree, but until I saw the movie again I didn't realize how obvious it was- perhaps because brafreedom on TV is now such a rarity that when it happens it is more noticeable- or maybe I just have a better TV now!

In any case, in every scene that it is determinable (where she is not wearing a jacket or something) she is definitely BF. And in the scene where she is scrambling down the hill near the landing site you can see her breasts bouncing around quite vigorously inside her turtleneck jersey- especially if you watch in Tivo slo-mo.

michaela
michaela

November 9th, 2005, 3:03 pm #4

Jeez Nat! Tivo slo mo? You are bad!
Maybe you have better glasses now to go with your better TV and Tivo.
Yeah, I am still around, ornery as ever. Been keeping busy getting ready for the winter. You know, my suzie homemaker projects.

Nat

November 9th, 2005, 3:09 pm #5

Well I know you are a busy lady but you mustn't neglect us at BFF!
I get insecure without our regulars!

November 9th, 2005, 3:20 pm #6

The insecurity was caused from that bout of weirdness we suffered while you were gone. It is like watching a really scary movie late at night. You want to watch something normal, even funny before you go to bed to get rid of that creepy feeling. That is kinda what happened around here. I had to have some time in the decompression chamber I guess. But I think we are all better now. Did you get your yard cleared and your fence fixed?

Nat

November 9th, 2005, 3:30 pm #7

Yes, that weirdness freaked me out too but I think I've taken care of that situation.

Got the yard pretty well cleaned up but the fence is still on my repair list. But all in all I feel pretty lucky- no structural damage- even my ham-radio antennas all survived.

November 9th, 2005, 3:33 pm #8

And with your generator you were the first one on the block to be able to have that shower! Yippie! I take it the power is back on in the area now? Are many people in Florida homeless because of this storm? The news on Wilma didn't stay on long.

Nat

November 9th, 2005, 11:56 pm #9

Yes, actually I think the whole area was restored by the end of the week. Most all the damage here was from trees. Only flimsy structures like pool cages and storage sheds were damaged. It seem to do more damage on the east coast then here which really surprised them because usually by the time a hurricane has crossed the state it has lost most of it's punch. But since then the weather has been great- 80-deg and sunny every day.

michaela
michaela

November 10th, 2005, 1:40 pm #10

Yes, that weirdness freaked me out too but I think I've taken care of that situation.

Got the yard pretty well cleaned up but the fence is still on my repair list. But all in all I feel pretty lucky- no structural damage- even my ham-radio antennas all survived.
It is still kinda weird around here.