Earthquakes and hurricanes

Earthquakes and hurricanes

Nat

August 25th, 2011, 4:01 pm #1

It seems like the Northeast is under attack-

By nature this time- first a rare earthquake and now a hurricane coming.

Is someone sending a message?

. . . . .

Marv
Marv

August 25th, 2011, 10:43 pm #2

Was wondering if Irene is going to come tooooo close. Does not look good, Know your closer the the west side but?????????????????? Be thinking about you

Nat

August 26th, 2011, 3:04 am #3

Thanks for your concern Marv but Irene is no problem at all for me. It's passing by well out in the Atlantic ocean heading north and the first land it will hit will be North Carolina coast- then up along the NE coastline to New York and beyond. It's going to be havoc up there but other than some rough surf on east coast it has been a non-event for Florida.

By the way- a great place to keep up with hurricanes is- http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

You can click on various data-links for each active storm. The "WunderMap" is probably the most useful.
. . . . .

Marv
Marv

August 26th, 2011, 4:10 am #4

Didn't know how far the rain would go inland, Now I have a son in Charlotte , hope he lucks out also???????????????? He is only home on weekends, don't know if that is good or bad

d

Nat

August 26th, 2011, 5:47 am #5

Your son might get some occasional rain bans but no damaging wind as long as Irene stays on the projected path.

I remember there was a hurricane that hit Charlotte 20 years ago. It came in around Charleston, SC and headed right to Charlotte coming in during the night and blew down a lot of trees. It surprised everyone that a hurricane could cause so much damage that far inland. Its mainly because it is so rare so there were a lot of big dense oaks that presented a lot of wind load. Here in Florida the trees don't have dense foliage and survive wind better.

. . . . .

Marv
Marv

August 26th, 2011, 12:31 pm #6

Thank you for that adress, it is very interesting

Nat

August 26th, 2011, 12:54 pm #7

Yes, I find wunderground.com probably the most comprehensive weather site anywhere. It has a lot of interactive features- it takes time to learn how everything works. The tracking map uses the Google "click and drag" technology so you can move it about to see the area you want. You can also add or delete the features it shows.

Of course, as with all weather forecasts, it's subject to error- so revisions and corrections are made with each update.

. . . . .