Dress Code commitee meeting

Dress Code commitee meeting

Michaela
Michaela

December 18th, 2003, 12:00 am #1

Peter and I went to that meeting today to discuss the new handbook. The superintenant and all the other administrators were there. When we came to the article about bras, one of our beloved older male drivers said, "I don't want to have to wear a bra!" And there we had our opening. We stated our objections to being scrutinized to see if we would be wearing bras. We said the rule would be uninforcable, and should not just be re-worded, but deleted altogether. We brought up the fact that sexual Harrassment laws are iron clad now, and that that is what they will ultimately have to deal with if they pursue this unnecassary rule. We come back January 5th to see what they did with it. We are ready to continue the fight.

M. A
M. A

December 18th, 2003, 1:38 am #2

nt

kath
kath

December 18th, 2003, 1:41 am #3

Peter and I went to that meeting today to discuss the new handbook. The superintenant and all the other administrators were there. When we came to the article about bras, one of our beloved older male drivers said, "I don't want to have to wear a bra!" And there we had our opening. We stated our objections to being scrutinized to see if we would be wearing bras. We said the rule would be uninforcable, and should not just be re-worded, but deleted altogether. We brought up the fact that sexual Harrassment laws are iron clad now, and that that is what they will ultimately have to deal with if they pursue this unnecassary rule. We come back January 5th to see what they did with it. We are ready to continue the fight.
Good on you Michaela! WAy to stand up for yourself and others. How did they react to this? Was there anybody else (female) in the meeting who backed you up verbally or otherwise? Strength in numbers ya know

Glenda
Glenda

December 18th, 2003, 3:32 am #4

Kudos to you Michaela ... the public debate can be tougher than dressing for bra / top freedom at times. And kudos also to you Peter for being so supportive.

Nat

December 18th, 2003, 4:17 am #5

Perhaps you should take a copy of Sydney Ross Singer's book "Dressed To Kill: The Link between Breast Cancer and Bras" and tell them that if a female driver comes down with breast cancer as a result of their bra requirement, they may be legally liable.

Nothing like a little legal threat to get a bureaucracy to take notice.

michaela
michaela

December 18th, 2003, 12:12 pm #6

Good on you Michaela! WAy to stand up for yourself and others. How did they react to this? Was there anybody else (female) in the meeting who backed you up verbally or otherwise? Strength in numbers ya know
There were other females (bra'd) there, and I'm not sure if I heard them speak out. They backed my idea that the school district is getting to much into our faces with it's rule and control. But I don't know what they think of my anti bra mind. We havn't ever gotten into it.

michaela
michaela

December 18th, 2003, 12:16 pm #7

Kudos to you Michaela ... the public debate can be tougher than dressing for bra / top freedom at times. And kudos also to you Peter for being so supportive.
Oh yeah Peter! You shoulda heard him. He was awesome.

michaela
michaela

December 18th, 2003, 12:17 pm #8

Perhaps you should take a copy of Sydney Ross Singer's book "Dressed To Kill: The Link between Breast Cancer and Bras" and tell them that if a female driver comes down with breast cancer as a result of their bra requirement, they may be legally liable.

I will be sure and take my copy with me on the 5th. Good Idea!!!

Slomo
Slomo

December 18th, 2003, 3:21 pm #9

If you encounter anyone with a little medical knowledge, they'll say, "That book is pseudo-science of the worst kind. None of that stuff has been medically proved--what'll you be giving us next, laetrile?"

Seriously, freedom's great, but waving "Dressed to Kill" around isn't going to help your case. It'll just make you look like a fool.

Nat

December 18th, 2003, 4:53 pm #10

When Louis Pasture proposed his germ theory he was attacked by the established medical community and I can give countless similar examples. Considering the fact that jurors have accepted far more outlandish claims then Singers (which after all, does have some fairly compelling statistical corollary), and considering that jurors have a history in liability disputes of siding with the victim, is the school board going to want to risk this?, or the thousands of dollars it will cost them in litigation just trying to prove Singer is wrong when to give in on this point would cost them nothing?