Does anyone have information linking backpain to bras?

Does anyone have information linking backpain to bras?

November 27th, 2005, 1:25 pm #1

I am a D cup and I usually wear a light bra or a bratop. I am having back pain lately and wonder if it is related to wearing a bra?

Any suggestions or stories?

Legolas
Legolas

November 27th, 2005, 8:37 pm #2

I've heard women say that they get backpains when they're
not wearing a bra - but that's probably not what you
wanted to hear - sorry.

Bob
Bob

November 27th, 2005, 10:39 pm #3

I am a D cup and I usually wear a light bra or a bratop. I am having back pain lately and wonder if it is related to wearing a bra?

I am a guy, so I don't have direct experience with the back pain issue. But, I have had a number of large-breasted partners and friends, some of whom have complained about back pain (have also known several small-breasted women who've had back pain -- remember that).

I think the back pain problem is mostly related to the stress of having a lot of weight on your upper body that is off-balance (hanging in front like that) rather than wearing a bra. Maybe if your bra-free breasts hung down toward your waist, rather than being held up by the bra, the weight might be supported differently -- is that what you are thinking? I guess that is possible.

If you don't mind a guy-type suggestion: Is there a man around whom you could lean back against, and he could cup your boobs, lift them up and take some stress off? That might help. And/or, maybe you could periodically lie on your stomach while the man rubs your back. Thank would feel good to you (and him) and that might help.

If you are without a man to help with this, write me.

Nat

November 28th, 2005, 4:27 am #4

Theoretically, I would think a bra would put greater stress on the back than going brafree. Considering that a bra holds the breasts upward and outward in a cantilevered position and transfers this weight (via the straps) as a offset lateral load to the top of the back (shoulders) which is the point of maximum leverage.

On the other hand, when breasts hang naturally, their weigh is applied lower and closer to the vertical axis thus reducing the leverage and offset strain. In addition, for many women the breasts rest on and are supported to some extent by the lower abdomen which further reduces the load on the chest and back.

Am I sounding too much like John Bayko?

Legolas
Legolas

November 28th, 2005, 3:46 pm #5

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work if the bra fits
properly - the weight of the breasts should be carried by the
band, not by the shoulder straps, so the force should be distributed
equally round the torso rather than just at the front.

Nat

November 28th, 2005, 4:44 pm #6

Thanks for you input Legolas. As one who doesn't wear a bra (Yeah- I'm brafree all the time! ) I certainly can't claim any first hand experience with this. I was going by complaints I've read/heard from women about their bra straps hurting their shoulders and the fact it just seems logical to me that the straps above the breasts would do the lion's share of supporting them, but I'm sure not going to argue this with someone who is obviously better qualified to know!

Legolas
Legolas

November 28th, 2005, 5:14 pm #7

Well, being male myself I'm not anymore qualified than you
are - I was just repeating what a girlfriend once told me when
I asked her about the matter.

Nat

November 28th, 2005, 10:49 pm #8

Looks like my gender detector is not working very good today!

But maybe a female with first hand bra experience will clarify all this.

Bob
Bob

November 29th, 2005, 12:27 am #9

I have heard the same as you from large-breasted women, that the bra straps over the shoulders can cause skin irritation and soreness due to the pressure brought by the weight of the breasts they're supporting. The women helped to ease the problem by buying bras with wider straps (I suppose this distributed the weight better) . . and/or they get out of the bra as soon as they get home.

Nat

November 29th, 2005, 1:16 am #10

Well this makes sense to me. Since the shoulder straps are above the breasts and the bra is suspended from them, it seems they would be doing the lion's share of supporting the bra- and the breasts. And I doubt that God or nature designed shoulders with the idea that they would be used for supporting the breasts. This is something that has only come about in the last century. Prior to the modern bra, breasts were supported by a corset (if by anything) and a corset transferred the load downward to the abdomen, not up to the shoulders.

But frankly I prefer to tell people that breasts have their own built-in "bra"- in the form of an extensive network of ligaments ("cooper" ligaments) that are attached to the inner chest wall and provided by nature expressly for this purpose.