Dirty Words

Dirty Words

Adelle
Adelle

September 27th, 2005, 8:49 pm #1

Girls have a _______, boys have a 'thingy'

"In July, envelope-pushing strip club owner Howard White changed the main sign for his joint on Century Boulevard near Los Angeles International Airport from "Live Nude Nude Nudes" to "Vaginas R Us." Neighboring merchants immediately complained, but city officials said that "vagina" is simply not an obscene word. However, the city did cite White's sign for being made of illegal combustible vinyl. At press time, opponents of the sign were trying to encourage the Toys R Us company to force White to abandon the name as too similar to its own protected trademark. [Daily Breeze (Torrance, Calif.), 8-8-05]"

Nat

September 27th, 2005, 9:12 pm #2

I wonder if a gay strip club put up a sign saying 'Penises R Us" how that would go over?
I'm always amazed at the seemingly harmless words that state motor vehicle offices banned from personal license plates.

September 27th, 2005, 9:39 pm #3

Which ones can't you have?

Nat

September 27th, 2005, 9:57 pm #4

Oh I don't remember exactly, just that the newspaper once ran a article that had a hugh list of words and phrases that the DMV computers were programmed to reject- basically any word or phrase that was even vaguely associated with sex or excretion- things like- "I 69 U?"- get it? Many were so cryptic and vague I couldn't even figure them out but I guess the good people at DMV have dirtier minds than me!

BigAl
BigAl

September 27th, 2005, 10:27 pm #5

Reminds me that at one time a guy in the UK had the V.R. 'PEN 15', on which he illegally closed up the gap. There was a photo published in the national daily press at the time. Dunno if this reg. is still around.

September 27th, 2005, 11:17 pm #6

Oh I don't remember exactly, just that the newspaper once ran a article that had a hugh list of words and phrases that the DMV computers were programmed to reject- basically any word or phrase that was even vaguely associated with sex or excretion- things like- "I 69 U?"- get it? Many were so cryptic and vague I couldn't even figure them out but I guess the good people at DMV have dirtier minds than me!
You couldn't have them on your tag but the paper printed them? That's kinda funny!

frank
frank

September 27th, 2005, 11:42 pm #7

At 13,it became clear to me that my mother swore like a New York cabbie(particularly with gas prices today)and after not having found some of that phraseology in conventional dictionaries, realized those words were adjectives and adverbs voiced to signal acrimony and aurally assault.

As an exotic dancer, she had hecklers(usually intoxicated)and learned to give it back as good as she took it, usually to the approbation of the audience and pit band.

As a teen, we kids uttered those terms for shock value, or to provoke, a bit short of fisticuffs(most times). But I put them to use in the military as an NCO, as that was the idiom the average male over 18 were familiar with, and took them for the withering insults they represented.

Today, I use such vernacular, not to sound uncouth, because rappers' patois would make a Marine blush, but because at 56, political correctness to me simply means voting for the party's man (whichever side that happens to be).Now, in the presence of clergy, I'll do a 180 and emit only G-rated chat.

John Bayko
John Bayko

September 28th, 2005, 12:53 am #8

I have, upon being frustrated while in a car in Paris, shouted "Flocons de mais!!".

In English, that's "Corn flakes", but it sure sounds like a nasty insult to those who don't know.

The Parisians probably would have thought I was crazy, if it weren't for the traffic noise.

JB
JB

September 28th, 2005, 2:33 am #9

During the 1970's, someone wanted to get a personalized plate with "ez lay" on it and the Calif DMV said no.

Anudist
Anudist

September 28th, 2005, 4:49 am #10

Girls have a _______, boys have a 'thingy'

"In July, envelope-pushing strip club owner Howard White changed the main sign for his joint on Century Boulevard near Los Angeles International Airport from "Live Nude Nude Nudes" to "Vaginas R Us." Neighboring merchants immediately complained, but city officials said that "vagina" is simply not an obscene word. However, the city did cite White's sign for being made of illegal combustible vinyl. At press time, opponents of the sign were trying to encourage the Toys R Us company to force White to abandon the name as too similar to its own protected trademark. [Daily Breeze (Torrance, Calif.), 8-8-05]"
with the vagina monologues, it will be hard to prove that the Word vagina is harmful or "vulgar".