Cone for a Kitty

Cone for a Kitty

Bob
Bob

August 25th, 2006, 10:12 pm #1

For all you cat lovers . . . here's a treat no cat could resist!!

Nat

August 26th, 2006, 12:54 am #2

But it's pretty bad for mouse lovers

By the way- what has happen to those lively substantive discussions we use to have here? This place has really been dead lately. We have been reduced to posting jokes and funny pictures. Is nothing going on in the world these days? Or is it all so depressing no one wants to talk about it?

Bob
Bob

August 26th, 2006, 2:11 pm #3

But for me, its a combination of being busy and growing tired of debate (yes, me!).

We're heading into the last month of warm weather here, and the leaves start to turn and the winds pick up. I've been biking, taking walks, working in the yard -- anything to be outdoors and enjoying it while it lasts. While I like the change of seasons (I think) . . . while I love the arrival of college and pro football seasons . . . I also feel some regrets that the late spring & summer (which I always look forward to, starting in January) came and went so quickly, with less done and less enjoyed than I had hoped and envisioned (this is a yearly phenomenon for me). Mid-August-thru-mid-September seems like the last gasp before the onslaught of cooler weather, rain, and eventually snow and ice. Before the worst comes, I do get to enjoy the changing of the leaves . . and seeing my adult son dressing up in Halloween garb for his birthday.

The other thing that has kept me from posting too much is that I grew tired of the anti-American sentiments from a certain sector here. SHADOW's suggestion that I "just don't read it, or respond" was the perfect advice. So, neither have I been looking to start heavy debate, nor would I seek to read or respond to certain other entries. I read the stuff most others post, but there hasn't been anything lately to really prompt me to respond. I'm sure, given time, this will change. (btw, I got banned from another site, apparently because the moderator didn't appreciate my points of view . . this bummed me out too. Why are otherwise-intelligent people so close-minded regarding certain topics?)

My suggestion: If anyone here wants to post anything that is going on in their lives right now . . doesn't have to be anything earth-shattering . . . we could have a nice little chat about that.

Nat

August 26th, 2006, 4:06 pm #4

Well ironically- here in Florida I look foreword to the fall and winter. That's the best times of the year- it's just too damn hot in summer to do anything. Even early in the mornings I quickly work up a sweat outside. And I think the heat bothers me more as I've gotten older- but then so does the cold!- I guess I have a overly-sensitive thermostat that wants the temp just "perfect".

I haven't seen your antagonist John here lately, but you know his views present what a great many think- even in this country. I'm as patriotic as the next guy but when I think my country's policies are wrong and are hurting my country I will say so. And I think the Iraq war was a horrendous mistake that has hurt it in many ways.

As for posting, I'm sure things will pick up as fall comes. It would be nice to have more regular posters so that a few (like me) don't have to carry so much the load of keeping the forum going. I have seen many forums die because people just stop posting for a time and then people stop bother to read it and soon there's nobody around to post.

Bob
Bob

August 27th, 2006, 5:56 pm #5

I am of that generation that really questioned what our government was doing (in Vietnam) and saw all the scandals and dirty secrets begin to surface. I don't have a problem now with considering the mistakes and wrongs committed by Americans, collectively or individually. What I dislike is people, especially foreigners, who commit non-stop bashing of U.S. to the point that every single action ever undertaken by U.S. is re-evalutated in the harshest way --- that every action was either horrendous and/or incompetent and/or good-done-for-ulterior-motives.

Just as the U.S. is fallible, so too has every society and country been fallible. There are atrocities in every group, every country's past (and present, and future). If ppl in other countries wish to be balanced in their criticisms of U.S. by admitting their our countries' faults, then I don't object to considering those of my country. And, as I've posted before, those countries that have done less harm usually were less capable of doing either harm or good. Like the old saying goes, "The only people who never fail are those that never try to achieve." And, as I say, "Don't confuse (a country's) incapability with virtue."

I guess the choice comes down to which is preferred: To live in a country too small or too weak to do anything significant, thus does little harm and gets little criticism. Or to live in a country with great capability to do good or harm, and sometimes does harm. In this latter case, you get the blame along with the credit (but some only give the blame, refusing to see the good that it done).

I think the situation is similar to what I see at my work, when time comes to plan for a holiday or other celebration. Few people want to pitch in to help plan the event or put forth effort to make it work. It then usually falls to the same few people (who always do such things) to plan and work to make the event happen. Whatever these few folks decide and do, others (who never lifted a finger) show up to criticize whatever was done. You hear them say to each other, "Is this the best they could do? What a flop! The centerpieces were cheap, the music was corny, the speakers were boring. The food tasted like crap! If they can't do better than this, they should quit!!" Hearing this, I or others might say, "Hey, maybe next time YOU could be on the planning committee! We need new blood and new ideas. I'm sure you would do a great job!" YEAH -- RIGHT! Shuts their whiney-ass mouths right up! They practically backpedal out of the room (but can latter be heard again complaining about the party to others). I think countries are like this: Some are doers and actors . . others (perhaps too weak to really do anything, or too lazy to do anything) sit back and criticize whatever the doers did. Just as I would love to see the whiners at work HAVE TO plan events, I'd love to see the WHINER COUNTRIES have to take responsibility for international situations, such that any outcome less than perfect will be considered those countries' fault, blame and eternal shame. Of course, that will never happen -- who would choose to give up their blaming-others gig?

But, its OK . . . even the positive or neutral posts of his were not entertaining to me. Someone so full of himself talks down to others no matter what he says. I just prefer to ignore him completely.

And, yes, I think the site here will pick up again.

Marseil
Marseil

September 14th, 2006, 6:44 am #6

True. Everyone is faillible. And nations politics are especially faillible.

But we did not kill tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands ?) innocent iraqis.

Marseil.

Bob
Bob

September 17th, 2006, 2:37 pm #7

I give you that, Marseil. When the list is drawn of "Things France Didn't Do", that will be up there.

You do make good tires (Michelin)

tgobg
tgobg

September 17th, 2006, 6:55 pm #8

True. Everyone is faillible. And nations politics are especially faillible.

But we did not kill tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands ?) innocent iraqis.

Marseil.
Iraqies have killed far more of their own people than the americans ever have, Any culture that thinks car bombs are an exceptable form of communicating your beliefs cannot be trusted. If you do not belive as they do then you must be killed. I am sorry but that is not an acceptable way to behave in the human society. The more I watch the news and see what is happening, the more i feel we americans should pull all our troops, and especially all of our money back to the be used inside our own borders. No more trade deficit, no more foreign oil, no more aid to other countries. Got an issue and need assistance, call the UN. Dont ask for assistance from America anymore, because we arent going to be there for you to call. we americans have our own problems, it is time we concentrated on them and let the rest of the world handle their own. $100 billion to fight for a country that is too confused to fight for itself, is a waste of money, and worse, a waste of American lives.

It isnt the majority of the people who are the issue, it is that small percent that have been so indoctronated into beliving that the meaning of islam is to kill all nonbelievers and that to do so will ensure your place in Paradise. The feel no responsibility for their actions, because it is the Will of Allah. These are the ones that are responsible for the majority of the deaths in the current conflict, not americans

Nat

September 17th, 2006, 9:25 pm #9

I think history will show removing Saddam was the worse foreign policy mistake the US ever made. Yes, Saddam was ruthless and ruled with an iron-hand- but we can see now why that was necessary- to keep the various religious factions there- Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds from killing each other which is exactly what's happening now. But Saddam was no threat to us, and on the contrary, kept Iran in check, which is now moving in the fill the power vacuum in the middle east and is a much greater threat to the US than Saddam ever was.

shadow
shadow

September 18th, 2006, 12:30 am #10

I give you that, Marseil. When the list is drawn of "Things France Didn't Do", that will be up there.

You do make good tires (Michelin)
I just put a set of Michelin Krylion Carbon tires on my bike Wednesday! They are fantastic!