Collapsible legs

Collapsible legs

Nat

July 8th, 2006, 5:51 pm #1

OK, I'm going to give you a idea about the kinds of things I think about. Like what to do with legs when they aren't being used? Don't you think it's kind of silly to have to deal with them even when they're aren't needed? Like you don't need legs if you are sitting or sleeping but still you've got them and you have to do something with them. I first thought about this several years ago when I was on a long airplane flight. The seats were close together, and I had a lot of trouble finding comfortable position for my legs. I didn't really need them at the time because I was just sitting there, so I though wouldn't it be neat if they would just collapse down to a small space and the antenna on a radio when you aren't using it? Then airlines could put the seats even closer together and make more money. The same idea would work for theaters and churches- anyplace where people will be sitting for a while. The same idea can be applied to arms too like when you are sleeping. Like really the only thing you need when sleeping is your head, so the rest of you is laying in bed doing nothing but taking up space. Do other people think of things like this?

EuropeMan
EuropeMan

July 8th, 2006, 7:54 pm #2

Strange you say the only thing you need to sleep is your head. I had an uncle who used to unscrew his head before going to sleep, and placed it on the tablet next to his bed. At least he told us (little kids) he did so. But that would be much more comfortable to sleep on the tummy, and to avoid snoring.

SHADOW
SHADOW

July 8th, 2006, 9:15 pm #3

OK, I'm going to give you a idea about the kinds of things I think about. Like what to do with legs when they aren't being used? Don't you think it's kind of silly to have to deal with them even when they're aren't needed? Like you don't need legs if you are sitting or sleeping but still you've got them and you have to do something with them. I first thought about this several years ago when I was on a long airplane flight. The seats were close together, and I had a lot of trouble finding comfortable position for my legs. I didn't really need them at the time because I was just sitting there, so I though wouldn't it be neat if they would just collapse down to a small space and the antenna on a radio when you aren't using it? Then airlines could put the seats even closer together and make more money. The same idea would work for theaters and churches- anyplace where people will be sitting for a while. The same idea can be applied to arms too like when you are sleeping. Like really the only thing you need when sleeping is your head, so the rest of you is laying in bed doing nothing but taking up space. Do other people think of things like this?
We don't want to do anything that will cause the airlines or any other anything to want to close in on us further than they already are! I don't give a flying fig whether they make more money, but I sure don't want the guy in the seat in front of me any closer. When he leans his seat back now it is too creepy. Like he's in my lap!

I am keeping all my limbs firmly in place, and want to secure the personal space bubble around me to about five feet when I am out and about. And I don't want to have to find the remote to reinflate my legs at night incase there is a fire.

Europeman's uncle story has me on the floor! My grandma used to go down the bathtub drain when she pulled the plug! Scared us kids at first. Then we just laughed ourselves silly whenever she went down the drain.

Nat

July 8th, 2006, 9:19 pm #4

Strange you say the only thing you need to sleep is your head. I had an uncle who used to unscrew his head before going to sleep, and placed it on the tablet next to his bed. At least he told us (little kids) he did so. But that would be much more comfortable to sleep on the tummy, and to avoid snoring.
Well as I understand it, sleep is primarily something the brain needs to somehow restore itself.
And sleep deprivation results in impaired mental performance. So this is why I associate sleep with the brain.
The rest of the body is there only to provide systemic support for the brain.
Except the arms and legs which are truly superfluous during this time.

Nat

July 8th, 2006, 9:24 pm #5

We don't want to do anything that will cause the airlines or any other anything to want to close in on us further than they already are! I don't give a flying fig whether they make more money, but I sure don't want the guy in the seat in front of me any closer. When he leans his seat back now it is too creepy. Like he's in my lap!

I am keeping all my limbs firmly in place, and want to secure the personal space bubble around me to about five feet when I am out and about. And I don't want to have to find the remote to reinflate my legs at night incase there is a fire.

Europeman's uncle story has me on the floor! My grandma used to go down the bathtub drain when she pulled the plug! Scared us kids at first. Then we just laughed ourselves silly whenever she went down the drain.
OK, I concede closer seats are probably not a good idea.
Still it would be nice not to have to try to find things for the legs to do when there's nothing for them to do.

SHADOW
SHADOW

July 8th, 2006, 9:30 pm #6

I remember a bit in the comedian Gallagher's routine about being able to take off his arms at night and hang them on the wall or somewhere. He said they just got in the way, and they fell asleep. The problem he couldn't get past was the second arm. Once the first one was off how did he get the second one off?

John Bayko
John Bayko

July 9th, 2006, 4:26 am #7

OK, I concede closer seats are probably not a good idea.
Still it would be nice not to have to try to find things for the legs to do when there's nothing for them to do.
There was a recent proposal for standing room travelling in airplanes, for short flights, which would put more people in the planes. I assume they'd strap themselves in against back boards of some sort. Airline representatives denied the story.

This topic also reminds me of an alternative band called King Missile, and their song "Detachable Penis" - in the song's story, he misplaces it. The video was hilarious.

Although I suppose a normal penis is more what you were thinking of - something that retracts out of the way when not being used.

Marseil
Marseil

July 9th, 2006, 9:15 am #8

Well as I understand it, sleep is primarily something the brain needs to somehow restore itself.
And sleep deprivation results in impaired mental performance. So this is why I associate sleep with the brain.
The rest of the body is there only to provide systemic support for the brain.
Except the arms and legs which are truly superfluous during this time.
> Well as I understand it, sleep is primarily something the brain needs to somehow restore itself.
> The rest of the body is there only to provide systemic support for the brain.

What a lack of consideration for your body!!!! You'd better give it more consideration or it will ask for it in form fo various pains and diseases....
Think of a reconciliation between body and soul.....

Marseil.

Nat

July 9th, 2006, 1:33 pm #9

Oh I was going to have my body out mowing the yard while my head enjoyed a nice nap.

Nat

July 9th, 2006, 1:44 pm #10

There was a recent proposal for standing room travelling in airplanes, for short flights, which would put more people in the planes. I assume they'd strap themselves in against back boards of some sort. Airline representatives denied the story.

This topic also reminds me of an alternative band called King Missile, and their song "Detachable Penis" - in the song's story, he misplaces it. The video was hilarious.

Although I suppose a normal penis is more what you were thinking of - something that retracts out of the way when not being used.
Yeah I heard that "standing airplane" thing too but it sounded so preposterous I thought it had to be one of those gag-stories you see on the net these days.

And yes, the penis is an excellent example, while it doesn't disappear when not in use, it shrinks down to a small flexible easier to manage thing. Imagine if guys had to walk around with fully erect penises all the time!