Cold soggy baseball

Cold soggy baseball

Nat

October 28th, 2008, 3:49 am #1

You probably know from past comments that I'm not a sports fanatic, but since a Florida team is playing I have been following the current World Series with some interest. I thought it was ironic that the series began last week in Tampa in a dome stadium despite perfect Florida weather. Then after two games they went up to Philadelphia- to play in a open stadium- and the weather has been terrible. It's been cold and at least two nights it has rained. It poured rain the whole time tonight and it was about 40 degrees! To a Floridian who is wearing a jacket if it gets much below 70 this is nuts. I really felt sorry for everyone involved- the soaking wet players sliding around in the mud- the fans huddles under plastic tarps, and even the TV crew- since I know what's involved there- and how despite rain-covers how a lot of expensive equipment gets damaged in such weather. Finally- they called the game off in the 6th inning tied at 2-2 and will resume tomorrow night when it will be even colder. Why they even play baseball- a "summer game" in almost November I don't know. In any case, I was sure glad to be in my warm dry house watching this cold soppy mess on (HD) TV then being those poor fools up there in it.

Marseil
Marseil

October 28th, 2008, 10:37 am #2

Baseball players (like other sports players) are paid millions of $ to stay under the rain. Spectators are consenting; Nobody is forced to attend a match, they even pay for it.

No pity for any of them.

Marseil

Nat

October 28th, 2008, 12:19 pm #3

True enough, but my point is the season is too long now. It use to be baseball would end September. Then football would begin in October. You had distinct seasons where the sport fit the weather. Now baseball drags on to nearly November while football begins in early September when it too hot for all that heavy clothing- everything is over-done these days.

In any case, I much prefer viewing sports from the comfort of my home than fighting the crowds, traffic and expense of going- even when the weather is good. I actually think the home fan sees more- high-definition close-ups of all the action, instant replays, slo-mo, fancy graphics, explanatory commentary, inexpensive snacks of his choice. It's a better experience than actually being there.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

October 28th, 2008, 4:32 pm #4

Too many damn playoff rounds. Let's got back to two divisions: east and west. Enough with this central crap

Nat

October 28th, 2008, 5:40 pm #5

Well there are too many games to begin with. There didn't use to be so many games and such long seasons. I guess it greed from the players and management wanting to milk every dollar out of the fans.

Marseil
Marseil

October 29th, 2008, 6:01 am #6

Are spectator sports affected by the crisis?

Marseil.

Nat

October 29th, 2008, 12:37 pm #7

I haven't heard of any effect yet but I would expect there will be. Sports tickets are pretty expensive and a likely thing that families will cut back on to save money. And there is so much sports on TV to watch for free.

Nat

October 30th, 2008, 5:42 pm #8

Are spectator sports affected by the crisis?

Marseil.
Well the Phillie won- but I can't help but think that Tampa was put at a disadvantage by the awful weather they had to play in. Baseball is a summer sport- with light-weight uniforms and it is not suppose to be played in 40-deg weather and rain. Considering that the Phillies won by only one run it's easy to see how had the weather conditions not been so bad- and the game not spread out over two days in a distant city that the results could have been different. Ofcourse, I've always said that luck is as much a factor as skill in most sports- and I think that is especially true of baseball.

Bob
Bob

November 1st, 2008, 10:02 pm #9

True enough, but my point is the season is too long now. It use to be baseball would end September. Then football would begin in October. You had distinct seasons where the sport fit the weather. Now baseball drags on to nearly November while football begins in early September when it too hot for all that heavy clothing- everything is over-done these days.

In any case, I much prefer viewing sports from the comfort of my home than fighting the crowds, traffic and expense of going- even when the weather is good. I actually think the home fan sees more- high-definition close-ups of all the action, instant replays, slo-mo, fancy graphics, explanatory commentary, inexpensive snacks of his choice. It's a better experience than actually being there.

The pro seasons are too long, and keep inching longer. Baseball is supposed to be a warm weather sport, so I think it should end the first week of October at the latest (World Series that week).

I also prefer to watch sports from the comfort and convenience of my home (Though I do occasionally attend a baseball game, as there are so many games and there isn't the crush of crowds or quite the expense associated with football). Instead of paying $6-7 for a beer, and $4.50 for a bratwurst sandwich, I can eat anything I want for cheap and don't have to put up with lines or filthy restrooms. But, I know people who sacrifice to afford season tickets and who say they would rarely watch sports if they never attended the games.

Bob
Bob

November 1st, 2008, 10:06 pm #10

Well the Phillie won- but I can't help but think that Tampa was put at a disadvantage by the awful weather they had to play in. Baseball is a summer sport- with light-weight uniforms and it is not suppose to be played in 40-deg weather and rain. Considering that the Phillies won by only one run it's easy to see how had the weather conditions not been so bad- and the game not spread out over two days in a distant city that the results could have been different. Ofcourse, I've always said that luck is as much a factor as skill in most sports- and I think that is especially true of baseball.
I think they should have replayed the rain-shortened game in its entirety. It was tied at the time it was postponed, and I think such an important sporting event should have just been replayed.