Class Reunion

Class Reunion

Bob
Bob

September 29th, 2008, 11:58 pm #1

Hurrah! I'm back from home internet exile after two weeks without. It really shows me how dependent I've gotten upon technology!

I will soon be attending my high school reunion. I've never attended a reunion before, and frankly I'm not sure why I decided to attend this one. High school was not a happy time for me, and there were probably only about 10 classmates out of a class of 500 that I'd even care to see again. But, people tell me I should go to one and see how it is. So, I will go.

Anyone have any interesting stories about their class reunions?

Brandon
Brandon

September 30th, 2008, 2:05 am #2

I missed both my 10th and 20th and will likely not attend my 25th next year. Almost everybody from high school that I care to see, I still talk to a few times a year.

Even at 20 years, I hear it can be kind of depressing to see how fat and bald most of the guys are and see how much the girls have changed. Although, I hear there are always one or two women who will have preserved themselves very well.

Nat

September 30th, 2008, 2:41 am #3

Hurrah! I'm back from home internet exile after two weeks without. It really shows me how dependent I've gotten upon technology!

I will soon be attending my high school reunion. I've never attended a reunion before, and frankly I'm not sure why I decided to attend this one. High school was not a happy time for me, and there were probably only about 10 classmates out of a class of 500 that I'd even care to see again. But, people tell me I should go to one and see how it is. So, I will go.

Anyone have any interesting stories about their class reunions?
No, I've never been to a reunion. It would have involved a long trip and I only had a few friends- I was considered a nerd so I wasn't a part of the "in-crowd". I just had my own little click- a few guys who were interested in ham radio- which was the "high tech" of the time. We ran the school FM station WGPS (a mighty ten watts at 89.9) but we were never appreciated by the others and I really have no great desire to see them.

In any case, good to have you back Bob. Been very quiet here despite a lot going on in the news to talk about.

Brandon
Brandon

September 30th, 2008, 3:01 am #4

The station I run started out as only 10 watts and when someone would call from one of the suburbs, you'd be shocked they were actually listening 20 or 30 miles away. Usually, they had an outdoor antenna.

We moved to higher power in 1986 and then you'd be shocked to hear from people several counties away.

Now with the webcast, we regularly get emails from listeners around the world which for those us who were around in the 10 watts days is almost unbelievable.

Nat

September 30th, 2008, 3:09 am #5

Yeah, back then (early 1960s) there were so few stations on the FM band- and the few people who had FM radios were usually hi-fi nuts who had outside antennas so it was amazing how far a few watts would go. Today the FM band is so crowded with high-power stations that co-channel interference limits the range to less than you use to get with low power.

Brandon
Brandon

September 30th, 2008, 3:25 am #6

I know a few people that worked at FM 100 in Memphis back in the late 60s and early 70s. FM 100 had 290,000 watts and was the second most powerful FM in the U.S. They were also one of the first FM rock stations. The djs in the 1960s would get calls from as far away as Carbondale, Illinois which is about 184 miles from Memphis.

Nat

September 30th, 2008, 3:41 am #7

Yes, the FM band was a lot of fun back then. It wasn't very crowded so if you had a good antenna you could hear stations a long way away. I routinely "DX" stations over a 100 miles. Most of the FMs in my area were run by daytime only AMers who had low-power FMs just so they could stay on the air at night. But there were so few FM radios that it was like a special club if you had one. And audiances were so small they hardly ran commercials so there was lots of music. I really miss those days of radio. So much better than now.

So what station do you run there?

Brandon
Brandon

September 30th, 2008, 4:14 am #8

I work for WEVL, which is a non commercial station that primarily uses volunteers. I'm one of the 3 paid employees.

Nat

September 30th, 2008, 4:19 am #9

Ah yes, ofcourse, everyone knows WEVL.
Isn't it on the same freq WGPS was- 89.9?

Brandon
Brandon

September 30th, 2008, 5:27 am #10

You are very smart Nat, yes we are 89.9.

I started off as a volunteer in 1981 at the age of 14 and in 1991 WEVL became my full time job.