Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations

Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations

Nat

November 3rd, 2007, 10:28 pm #1

Well things have been kind of quiet here lately but I figure this should stir things up:

"Christmas should be downgraded unless other religious festivals are marked on an even footing, a Government think-tank has said.

The Institute of Public Policy Research has suggested various ideas to make the UK more multicultural.

It also wants "national culture" barriers to be torn down to help immigrants settle into the UK.

In a report due to be published in coming weeks, the organization said: "If we are going to continue to mark Christmas - and it would be very hard to expunge it from our national life even if we wanted to - then public organizations should mark other major religious festivals too.

"Even-handedness dictates that we provide public recognition to minority cultures and traditions."

It emerged in 2006 that three out of four employers were not putting up Christmas decorations in the workplace for fear of offending staff of other cultures.

Christmas should be downgraded unless other religious festivals are marked on an even footing, a Government think-tank has said.

The Institute of Public Policy Research has suggested various ideas to make the UK more multicultural.

It also wants "national culture" barriers to be torn down to help immigrants settle into the UK.

In a report due to be published in coming weeks, the organisation said: "If we are going to continue to mark Christmas - and it would be very hard to expunge it from our national life even if we wanted to - then public organisations should mark other major religious festivals too.

"Even-handedness dictates that we provide public recognition to minority cultures and traditions."

It emerged in 2006 that three out of four employers were not putting up Christmas decorations in the workplace for fear of offending staff of other cultures.
"

From: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20071101/t ... 618_1.html

Now this is the UK, but the way things are going, something like this wouldn't surprise me here as well- already there has been a major movement to change "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays".

etal
etal

November 4th, 2007, 10:29 am #2

forty years ago christmas advertising in the newspapers did not begin until the friday after thanksgiving. i have already seen several christmas advertisements in the newspaper and have received christmas mass mailings. perhaps in a few years christmas advertising will begin around july and easter advertising around january.

Nat

November 4th, 2007, 1:03 pm #3

Yes I remember when the Christmas season began just after Thanksgiving. That seem like plenty of time. I made a rare trip to WalMart last week and already it was full of Christmas stuff. This was even before Halloween! It's crazy. People will be so sick of Christmas by the time it gets here they won't even want it. As for me, I'll be staying away from stores until 2008. I either do my shopping online or have my daughters do it for me. I hate shopping bad enough even in regular times but I avoid the Christmas mob like the plague!

Bob
Bob

November 5th, 2007, 1:41 pm #4

Well things have been kind of quiet here lately but I figure this should stir things up:

"Christmas should be downgraded unless other religious festivals are marked on an even footing, a Government think-tank has said.

In a report due to be published in coming weeks, the organization said: "If we are going to continue to mark Christmas - and it would be very hard to expunge it from our national life even if we wanted to - then public organizations should mark other major religious festivals too.

Christmas should be downgraded unless other religious festivals are marked on an even footing, a Government think-tank has said.

In a report due to be published in coming weeks, the organisation said: "If we are going to continue to mark Christmas - and it would be very hard to expunge it from our national life even if we wanted to - then public organisations should mark other major religious festivals too.

"

From: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20071101/t ... 618_1.html

Now this is the UK, but the way things are going, something like this wouldn't surprise me here as well- already there has been a major movement to change "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays".
I think its good and necessary for there to be a dominant culture in every country that designates "Who we are." A primary language, national heroes, systems of weights and measures, national customs and holidays, major religions. I don't think its necessary or desirable to have to honor equally every variation that could exist.

In U.S., I think newcomers and others of differing backgrounds should expect: An English-speaking country (so learn the language) that is predominantly Caucasian (so most of the people one sees in media are likely to be white) . . that measures things in inches, feet, miles, ounces and pounds . . that believes its history and heroes largely started with the arrival of Europeans and the creation of the country known as United State of America . . that is largely Christian and celebrates holidays such as Christmas, Easter and our Independence day.

If I were to relocate to another country, I would not expect . . certainly not demand . . that country and its people change things they believe in and grew up with just so I could feel more "comfortable." If they spoke English, that would be a plus for me. But, if I plan to stay there, I'd better learn enough of the local language to survive. I wouldn't expect people (including those on TV or in movies) to look like me. I wouldn't expect a largely Jewish or Muslim country to stop celebrating their traditional holidays and/or to observe mine. I wouldn't expect to see products sold in pounds or square feet/yards if they use the metric scale (so, I would need to learn that system). I might need to know how far x kilometers is, instead of x miles.

Again, it would be MY PLACE TO ACCOMODATE to that country, not vice versa. Why anyone in North America or Western Europe would think their country must be the one to accomodate every nuance is a puzzle to me. Seems like Westerners don't respect their own cultures, doesn't it?

P.S. I agree that the merchandizers start ads and sales for Christmas WAY too early. After Thanksgiving would be much better.

Nat

November 6th, 2007, 2:33 am #5

Well we are in total agreement Bob. I think all this "diversity" is very destructive to the unity of the country.

And all holidays have become too commercialized.

If I disappear from here it's because I got my time machine working.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

November 6th, 2007, 2:47 am #6

While I agree with Bob to some extent, why are so many here hell bent in staying in the past? I don't get it.
In the wonderful 50's blacks were being lynched in the south, women were treated as possesions (oh I'm sorry, men opened doors for them, so that made it all OK) and gays were being put in mental institutions. But things were just dandy since boys were able to swim naked at the Y. I just don't get you people.

Thanks for listening
Chris

Nat

November 6th, 2007, 3:54 am #7

No, the past was not perfect CB, but it was better in many more ways than not and I think most people who remember it will agree.

You named a few ways it was worse- I can name a hundred ways it was better.

Brandon
Brandon

November 6th, 2007, 4:32 am #8

We've discussed this before, but I think there is no better time to be alive than right now. Could you imagine not having the internet, email, cell phones etc.?

I love the music and tv and movies of the past much more than the pop culture of today. But almost all of that is available to me on CDs and DVDs and I can watch it or listen to it anytime. There were no CDs or DVDs even 25 years ago.

I find the past fascinating, but I think in just about every way we are better off in 2007 than at any time before.

Brandon
Brandon

November 6th, 2007, 4:35 am #9

Yes I remember when the Christmas season began just after Thanksgiving. That seem like plenty of time. I made a rare trip to WalMart last week and already it was full of Christmas stuff. This was even before Halloween! It's crazy. People will be so sick of Christmas by the time it gets here they won't even want it. As for me, I'll be staying away from stores until 2008. I either do my shopping online or have my daughters do it for me. I hate shopping bad enough even in regular times but I avoid the Christmas mob like the plague!
One thing I hate is radio stations that go to the all Christmas format before the day after Thanksgiving.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

November 6th, 2007, 1:39 pm #10

No, the past was not perfect CB, but it was better in many more ways than not and I think most people who remember it will agree.

You named a few ways it was worse- I can name a hundred ways it was better.
"No, the past was not perfect CB, but it was better in many more ways than not and I think most people who remember it will agree."

Sure, if you happen to be a white christian heterosexual male.