Breasts, Legs or Wrists

Breasts, Legs or Wrists

July 5th, 2004, 10:24 pm #1

It is a sobering thought as another Wimbledon season comes to a close, to remember what women athletes have had to put up with over the years.

A brief summary can be found here:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/hi ... shion.html

It is particularly interesting that the analogy of women's legs is frequently raised as a logical counterargument to those who would insist breasts be covered, and the running script at the top of this Forum reminds us of women raising the hem of their bloomers in the 1920s.

One has to be careful, since arguing about equality between men and women sometimes leads to suggestions that men should lose their freedom rather than women gain some. It would be just as logical or illogical to suggest that rather than freeing breasts, that legs be covered again.

But how many people know about wrists? Look what happened in 1905 when May Sutton dared to expose her wrists in public by rolling back the hem of her long sleeved outfit.

Everything is relative.

Nat

July 5th, 2004, 10:54 pm #2

>"One has to be careful, since arguing about equality between men and women sometimes leads to suggestions that men should lose their freedom rather than women gain some."

Actually this does concern me. Young males today already wear far more clothing than they did a generation ago. The 'shorts' they wear are more like long baggy knickers than shorts. And I even see some wearing shirts at the beach and even in swimming pools! If this trend continues someday we may have to have a topfreedom forum for guys!

July 5th, 2004, 11:44 pm #3

Actually Nat,

I know your tongue is in your cheek, but I would oppose that as divisive and self defeating.

If we truly beleive in democracy and freedom, both genders should be fighting for the freedom of all

Michael

Nat

July 6th, 2004, 12:28 am #4

Ofcourse I agree that both genders should have that freedom, my point, and it wasn't really all that tongue in cheek, is that males seem to be giving up many of their rights.

Other than an addiction to bras, girls don't dress much differently than they did 30 years ago, but where I live I see a big difference in how young males dress. Even in hot summer they wear long baggy 'shorts' and are rarely shirtless or barefoot away from the beach. A freedom not exercised or appreciated can be lost.

michaela
michaela

July 6th, 2004, 1:00 am #5

When I was a kid no one was over weight. We also didn't have movies at home (DVDs) or personal computers and video games. We played outside, football, baseball, rode moto cross motor bikes, horses, you know, real rough and tumble stuff. And everyone I knew was thin, except my grandma.

Today I see overweight kids everywhere, and adults too. I wonder if we are seeing more covered up guys because of this? I also wonder if guys who are the opposite, very thin, are not wanting to be seen because of the buff and muscular men in the media.

July 6th, 2004, 1:02 am #6

Ofcourse I agree that both genders should have that freedom, my point, and it wasn't really all that tongue in cheek, is that males seem to be giving up many of their rights.

Other than an addiction to bras, girls don't dress much differently than they did 30 years ago, but where I live I see a big difference in how young males dress. Even in hot summer they wear long baggy 'shorts' and are rarely shirtless or barefoot away from the beach. A freedom not exercised or appreciated can be lost.
Thats often the way with freedom.

Nat

July 6th, 2004, 1:21 am #7

When I was a kid no one was over weight. We also didn't have movies at home (DVDs) or personal computers and video games. We played outside, football, baseball, rode moto cross motor bikes, horses, you know, real rough and tumble stuff. And everyone I knew was thin, except my grandma.

Today I see overweight kids everywhere, and adults too. I wonder if we are seeing more covered up guys because of this? I also wonder if guys who are the opposite, very thin, are not wanting to be seen because of the buff and muscular men in the media.
I think there are many factors but our current crop of over-weight out-of-shape kids is certainly a major one. For example I have notice that many of the teens who wear shirts at beaches and pools appear to have gynecomastia which they are no doubt embarrassed about and which is certainly worsen by excess weight.

Marv
Marv

July 6th, 2004, 1:31 am #8

I read [on the net]that a basket ball player started that long baggy pants because he wore his trunks over his LUCKY long shorts when he played ????????

Melissa
Melissa

July 6th, 2004, 1:33 am #9

I read that it was started by rappers. several of whom developed a taste for the baggy style when they were poor kids who had to wear old hand-me-downs from older brothers, fathers and uncles.

Nat

July 6th, 2004, 1:35 am #10

I read [on the net]that a basket ball player started that long baggy pants because he wore his trunks over his LUCKY long shorts when he played ????????
I think Michael Jordan is credited (blamed) for starting the long basketball-shorts fashion.