"Bras are Evil" (Comments from the Teen Boards)

"Bras are Evil" (Comments from the Teen Boards)

July 5th, 2004, 6:46 pm #1

So say a bunch of teens on a board ("I Wish I Didn't Have 2 Wear A Bra!!!!"), but few would go so far as to ditch them in real life. Some of them want to run over them in a bus, and yet feel weird without them.

However they also had the most original rationale I have heard for not wearing a bra (apologies to anyone from Utah).

The thread ran something like this:

“I just gotta question for ya. As a guy, don't you or wouldn't you find it difficult to get a chick's bra off??? I have one such friend who doesn't wear one just for that reason. I'm just curious, really.

If a guy is having trouble unhooking it a gal can always give him a hand. You can only let the poor guy fumble for so long without feeling bad for him.

If a guy wants it off badly enough he should be able to find a way to do it.

Oh ok! well, a lot of guys I know aren't that smart. Therefore a lot of Utah girls go braless.”

Any comments from Utah?

michaela
michaela

July 5th, 2004, 7:42 pm #2

Sorry Michael, but that is really dumb. I'm not saying you are dumb. Just that conversation. Where do you find this stuff? Are people really having this conversation somewhere?
Okay...I'm ready for the flame throwers.

July 5th, 2004, 7:54 pm #3

Actually Yes, that is, people are saying that.

A frequent theme here is that mature women know better but the younger generation seem completely addicted to bras. Eiffel also noticed in Paris recently that one rarely saw a bra free woman under 55.

I thought therefore it was important to know what teens are saying on this topic.

A search on 'bra free' and 'braless' turned up a number of fora or Boards which had threads on them about 'braless'. We have seen numerous references to Moon Cafe here.

I looked at some of the others and found all the usual mythology about support, sagging, pain, good girls wear bras etc, despite the fact that they were full of complaints. There was not not much therefore to mention here.

But this one turned up the most unusual argument I have seen to date, but this time for being bra free. Has anyone else seen this discussed before?

In trying to understand the social culture of the bra phenomenon it is important to listen to what the younger generation are saying.

I am neither condemning or commending the point of view expressed, but just pointing out what kids talk about amongst themselves.

July 5th, 2004, 8:11 pm #4

Sorry Michael, but that is really dumb. I'm not saying you are dumb. Just that conversation. Where do you find this stuff? Are people really having this conversation somewhere?
agreed, michaela. sorry michael not the first questionable post you put up. i just dont get you !

July 5th, 2004, 9:40 pm #5

Thank you Kath,

I understand what you are saying. In terms of 'getting me', as you put it, I have just pointed to what I have found, in terms of being able to understand how people think and talk and behave around this topic. If you want to change society you need to know what is going on.

In addition to all of the resources that have been mentioned on this forum over the last few years I tried to make a list of all the internet sites where it was discussed, and frankly have not turned much that is original. I have pretty well exhausted all my information - if that makes you feel any better .

Basically what I have listed, I have offered dispassionately and objectively rather than pushing any viewpoint. However stimulating constructive debate around the issues can only be good.

I don't know if the sort of things being discussed here are isolated incidents or more widely embedded in culture. Nor do I know whether their perceptions in any way reflect reality. For instance I can find no collaborating evidence that bra freedom is any more widespread in Utah than elsewhere.

However people's views and attitudes are all too often based on false perceptions, and yet that is what shapes our society.

We have had some input here from those who deal with the young, some dealing with their daughters and others from a retail perspective.

Has anyone had any other experience in dealing with these issues in young people? Reading what they talk about amongst themselves would probably be a good preparation.

Michael

michaela
michaela

July 5th, 2004, 10:14 pm #6

So say a bunch of teens on a board ("I Wish I Didn't Have 2 Wear A Bra!!!!"), but few would go so far as to ditch them in real life. Some of them want to run over them in a bus, and yet feel weird without them.

However they also had the most original rationale I have heard for not wearing a bra (apologies to anyone from Utah).

“I just gotta question for ya. As a guy, don't you or wouldn't you find it difficult to get a chick's bra off??? I have one such friend who doesn't wear one just for that reason. I'm just curious, really.

If a guy is having trouble unhooking it a gal can always give him a hand. You can only let the poor guy fumble for so long without feeling bad for him.

Oh ok! well, a lot of guys I know aren't that smart. Therefore a lot of Utah girls go braless.”

Any comments from Utah?
...was I just thought it was a really weird reason for going bra free. The easy access reason. I just never heard that one before. I suppose it is as good a reason as any, and it is true that Michael provided us this information that is saying there are people out there with this as their motivation. So I do appreciate the information. It is just such a strange reason. Course I have heard it before, with the kilted man who wears no underwear, easy access! I suppose it's all good. Anything to get those bras off those girls.

Nat

July 5th, 2004, 10:33 pm #7

Michaela, you wouldn't believe the number of dumb conversations going on on the internet at any given moment. Not just ones on Usenet and forums like this, but in countless IRC, AOL and Prodigy Chatrooms that are not even covered by search engines. I gave up on IRC years ago because it was giving me Alzheimers. Still have some residual effects from that experience which sometimes show up on my posts here.

peter
peter

July 5th, 2004, 10:55 pm #8

...was I just thought it was a really weird reason for going bra free. The easy access reason. I just never heard that one before. I suppose it is as good a reason as any, and it is true that Michael provided us this information that is saying there are people out there with this as their motivation. So I do appreciate the information. It is just such a strange reason. Course I have heard it before, with the kilted man who wears no underwear, easy access! I suppose it's all good. Anything to get those bras off those girls.
Have to agree wit you thar lass!!

July 6th, 2004, 12:04 am #9

Any comments from Utah?
Before we run the risk of losing the baby with the bathwater, let me point out that the central message of this post was not about physical intimacy, or as Michaela and Peter put it, 'access'. That was not in the subject line at all.

The lessons to be learnt from reading the teen chat sites are;

1. They are debating the issue in many different sites - that surely has to be good?

2. There is a vague notion out there that there are health implications, they have heard of problems with restrictive clothing, even if they do not buy it.

3. 'Bras are Evil' - there is a central tenet that bras are an imposition, an inconvenience, and uncomfortable - therefore there have to be good arguments for them, to counter this. This is a good start.

Against this are the feeling that it would be 'weird' to be bra free, because it bucks the perceived norm.

I think the 'access' argument is a manifestation of the 'freedom' and 'liberty' angle. Unfortunately this contributes to the concept that to be bra free is 'loose', 'trashy' or 'slutty'.

I hear two arguments from the 'A's and the 'D's respectively. The first group argue that no bra makes you look like you do not have breasts (and by extension are 'undesirable'), because the social norm is to have artificially accentuated breasts - what one astute teen on another site referred to as 'misleading advertising'.

At the other end of the spectrum is the belief that larger breasts have to be 'supported' or terrible things will happen to you, including pain.

Then there is the usual argument that there may be visible motion, and nipple visibility.

However that there is awareness that there is a debate at all is the most positive aspect.

Does this help at all?

Michael (miscommunicator of the century )

michaela
michaela

July 6th, 2004, 12:14 am #10

No! I am the miscommunicator of the century!!!
I understood