Bill Cosby

Bill Cosby

Bob
Bob

September 27th, 2007, 3:49 pm #1

You may have seen this one, but I think it is worth repeating:

Commedian Bill Cosby, speaking publicly on the current plight of Black Americans:

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk:
Why you ain't,
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...

And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk.

And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it's important to speak English
except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor
with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth.

In fact you will never get any kind of job making a
decent living. People marched and were hit in the
face with rocks to get an education, and now
we've got these knuckleheads walking around.

The lower economic people are not holding up
their end in this deal.

These people are not parenting. They are buying
things for kids. $500 sneakers for what ? ?

And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit.

Where were you when he was 2 ? ?
Where were you when he was 12 ? ?

Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol ? ?

And where is the father ? ? Or who is his father ?

People putting their clothes on backward:
Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong?

People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something ? ?

Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up ?

Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from??

We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa .

With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem.

We have got to take the neighborhood back.

People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' -- or men or whatever you call them now.

We have millionaire football players who cannot read.
We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We, as black folks, have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.

We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.

We cannot blame the white people any longer."

Dr. William Henry "Bill" Cosby, Jr., Ed.D.

Brandon
Brandon

September 27th, 2007, 4:15 pm #2

While I posted a few days ago lots of stats about how far the African American population has risen in America over the last 40 years in an economic sense, let me be the first to say that blacks who are on the lower end of the economic scale have probably never been in worse shape from a social aspect.

The out of wedlock birth numbers for blacks is now around 70% and is 90% in some inner city communites. Yet the so called black leadership like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are worried about the "Jena Six." Mychal Bell, the sole member of the “Jena Six” to have been prosecuted has a previous arrest record that includes battery and property damage. The white kid he helped beat up had injuries that led to $14,000 in medical bills, according to a lawyer. Yet Jesse compares freeing him from jail to the Selma voting rights protest of the 1960s.

When did the black leadership get their priorities so screwed up?

Nat

September 27th, 2007, 5:02 pm #3

Commedian Bill Cosby, speaking publicly on the current plight of Black Americans:

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk:
Why you ain't,
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...

their end in this deal.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit.

Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol ? ?

People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something ? ?

Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?

We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa .

With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem.

People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' -- or men or whatever you call them now.

We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We, as black folks, have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.

Cosby speaks loads of painful truth. Yes, there have been blacks who through affirmative action programs have done well, but many are no better off then they were 50 years ago before the integration movement began. Then the thinking was- if they only got to go to the nice schools the whites do they would be able to get a good education and succeed like the whites but a nice school does no good when you would rather drop out and hang around street corners than study.

Bob
Bob

September 27th, 2007, 5:21 pm #4

Cosby's comments were about certain black folks, but many of his comments could apply as well to some whites. Blacks have been the cultural trend setters in U.S. for decades, for good and for bad. So, many of the negative things that plague black communities are increasingly seen among whites: lower educational attainmment (including speech), fewer marriages, more illegimate births (sometimes with assorted males), low job skills/wages, greater legal difficulties & incarcerations. Young whites in particular emulate the "gansta" dress and lifestyle. This is part of the decline we are seeing in our country.

Nat

September 27th, 2007, 7:14 pm #5

Yes, such whites are called "wiggers". They go around dressed in the same baggy saggy clothes and listening to the same black rap/hip-hop as the blacks. It's a 180 degree turnaround from the 1950s when whites would have nothing to do with anything 'black'. Many of the early rock'n'roll songs of the 1950s were originated by black doo-wop groups (and some were very good) but then the song would be re-recorded by white singers before it was marketed.

And to top it off now- when a black kid does study hard and try to succeed in school he is condemned by his peers as being a honky. I'll tell you- it is really depressing to see how society has deteriorated. I know I harp on this so much but it's so true.

Michael
Michael

October 3rd, 2007, 4:16 pm #6

Why you ain't,
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...

their end in this deal.

I think Bill told the truth, and the truth hurts. Funny how shortly after the fact there were allegations of Cosby's extramarital affairs and inappropriate sexual conduct. Ya think that was planted by the afro american community perhaps?

Nat

October 3rd, 2007, 6:07 pm #7

Well isn't that what's done- if you don't like the message- kill the messager.

By the way, I think you are a new poster here. Welcome aboard and I hope you will continue to contribute to our discussions.

-Nat

Melissa
Melissa

October 12th, 2007, 9:53 am #8

Why you ain't,
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...

their end in this deal.

Bill Cosby has always been ahead of his time and as I can see it always will be.

He came from nothing to become everything. He headlined a "black family" show when that was seen as non-mainstream, but his show became a huge hit. He's spent a bunch of his fortune to support poor,smart,black kids college tuition. He's given a lot of his own money to helping such people get into college. A white upper middle class kid would look like a hypocrite to criticize them. But another black person who came from nothing would be perfect to kick his/her own people in the butt.

Bob
Bob

October 14th, 2007, 5:59 pm #9

You said it. (btw, you were here quite a while ago, right? Welcome back)

Nat

October 14th, 2007, 10:51 pm #10

Bill Cosby has always been ahead of his time and as I can see it always will be.

He came from nothing to become everything. He headlined a "black family" show when that was seen as non-mainstream, but his show became a huge hit. He's spent a bunch of his fortune to support poor,smart,black kids college tuition. He's given a lot of his own money to helping such people get into college. A white upper middle class kid would look like a hypocrite to criticize them. But another black person who came from nothing would be perfect to kick his/her own people in the butt.
Cosby was on "Meet the Press" this morning saying his usual things.
I think it's repeated on MSNBC cable channel tonight it you want to see it.