Beaches

Beaches

Anudist
Anudist

January 14th, 2005, 6:34 pm #1

FYI:

Here is an article where topfreedom is permitted.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6822385/

JB
JB

January 14th, 2005, 11:11 pm #2

The article uses the word "naturalists" when the correct word is "naturists". A naturalist is someone who studies nature.

Also, I noticed the quote about someone at a magazine (many years ago) saying that naked breasts were acceptable "only if the woman is an aborigine". I don't think that attitude has changed much in 40 years.

michaela
michaela

January 14th, 2005, 11:44 pm #3

So, if I go back to Wales would my naked breasts qualify to be in that magazine?

Nat

January 15th, 2005, 12:17 am #4

The article uses the word "naturalists" when the correct word is "naturists". A naturalist is someone who studies nature.

Also, I noticed the quote about someone at a magazine (many years ago) saying that naked breasts were acceptable "only if the woman is an aborigine". I don't think that attitude has changed much in 40 years.
I think the public is totally confused about the terms "naturists" & "naturalists". Rather than abandoning traditional and easily understood terms like "nudist" and "nudism" I think nudist/naturists should have stuck with and defended these terms instead of coming up with contrived euphemisms that only confuse people and make it look like you are trying to hide what you are doing.

Wayne
Wayne

January 15th, 2005, 12:30 am #5

So, if I go back to Wales would my naked breasts qualify to be in that magazine?
I think you are confusing aborigine and native.

Aborigine: One of the earliest known inhabitants of a continent or country.

Native: Belonging to a particular place by birth.

Anyway, magazines like that only want pictures of people who don't look like the readers of the magazine. Their readers want to feel superior to the people shown in the magazine, and they find it easey to feel superior to naked people that don't look like them.

Naked people who look like them, on the other hand, make them wonder if they are as civilized as they thought, and thus make them uncomfortable.

Maybe this is why so many people don't like to seen bare breasts.

But this is just my quick thoughts on the subject. Do you think I am right, or haven't I thought long enough on the subject. I'm in a hurry today.

michaela
michaela

January 15th, 2005, 2:13 am #6

I know, I know...I just get impatient with those half assed excuses for the media doing what they want and feeling superior to the people they are photographing. (exploiting)

I was a bit miffed today while watching some news show, I don't remember which one, they all look alike, and a commercial came on for some other kind of show, again I have no idea what, and there were men standing around with huge erect nipples just as naked as the day is long. Why do they get to do that and us women folk do not?

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

January 15th, 2005, 2:20 am #7

I think you are confusing aborigine and native.

Aborigine: One of the earliest known inhabitants of a continent or country.

Native: Belonging to a particular place by birth.

Anyway, magazines like that only want pictures of people who don't look like the readers of the magazine. Their readers want to feel superior to the people shown in the magazine, and they find it easey to feel superior to naked people that don't look like them.

Naked people who look like them, on the other hand, make them wonder if they are as civilized as they thought, and thus make them uncomfortable.

Maybe this is why so many people don't like to seen bare breasts.

But this is just my quick thoughts on the subject. Do you think I am right, or haven't I thought long enough on the subject. I'm in a hurry today.
People feel uncomfortable seeing people that look like them. When artists painted scantily clad goddesses, people flocked to the galleries to admire them.

In the 19th century, artists started showing pictures like Courbet's La Source or Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe,that showed 'real people' naked and there was you know what to pay. Same models, different clothes and setting. Passing strange.

Michaela before going home to Wales advise strong all over tan before trying that trick!

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

January 15th, 2005, 2:22 am #8

I know, I know...I just get impatient with those half assed excuses for the media doing what they want and feeling superior to the people they are photographing. (exploiting)

I was a bit miffed today while watching some news show, I don't remember which one, they all look alike, and a commercial came on for some other kind of show, again I have no idea what, and there were men standing around with huge erect nipples just as naked as the day is long. Why do they get to do that and us women folk do not?
Because women are regarded as hood ornaments, and other things, including potential sexual predators, I fear.

michaela
michaela

January 15th, 2005, 2:44 am #9

People feel uncomfortable seeing people that look like them. When artists painted scantily clad goddesses, people flocked to the galleries to admire them.

In the 19th century, artists started showing pictures like Courbet's La Source or Manet's Dejeuner sur l'herbe,that showed 'real people' naked and there was you know what to pay. Same models, different clothes and setting. Passing strange.

Michaela before going home to Wales advise strong all over tan before trying that trick!
I know, again...you only get to have the naked breasts in the media if you are a person of color.

Wayne
Wayne

January 15th, 2005, 3:46 am #10

I don't have much respect for the media any more. For example, right now we have the press reporting what the Democrats and Republicans are saying about our election for Governor, which is currently looking just like it now looks in the Ukraine, with the loser fighting in court trying to overturn the election. The problem is that, if you read the state law and the state constitution, it is obvious who is telling the truth and who is lying. However, the news media has gotten lazy and just print press releases instead of investigating. It used to be that, in a case like this, the press would, when the need arose, explain who was telling the truth and who was lying, and would be printing the few sentences you needed to read to know the difference.

Back in the 1950s I once questioned my girlfriend's father about his story on a civil suit against a doctor. I knew the doctor's son and thought that the story had been biased against the doctor. The reporter said that he thought that he had been very fair. Both sides had threatened him with a libel suit for what he wrote!

In retrospect, I think that he was right. He had found skeletons in the closets of both sides, and each thought that he was biased against them. But what he was really showning was that neither had clean hands.

The reporter had a well-deserved reputation for fairness; if he had been like reporters today, I would have just considered it typical bad reporting and not have questioned him.

As far as exploiting, yes, I agree that this is inappropriate. What I really dislike are the companies that try to use sex to sell products that have no possible connection to sex. I remember one company's ads for "sexy scanners" -- the ad showed one of their scanners hanging by a chain in a woman's cleavage. One look and that company was on my "do not patronize" list. The ads ran for years and I always wondered if I was the only one offended by them.

As far as women having to hide their breasts, I remember when my son was an infant in the late 1960s. My wife was breast feeding him in a large public park, and we were in a fairly well populated area. We saw a lot of people go out of their way to not walk near her. I don't see how they thought that she would be concerned; we could have gone to a more secluded area if we had wished, but my attitude was that she should feed our son when he was hungry, and not worry about where she was, so she didn't bother moving. If I'm right, they must have been bother by seeing her, and not wanted to look. I know I didn't stand and look at other women I saw nursing their babies, but I didn't go out of my way to avoid them either.

It's been quite a while since I saw a woman nursing a baby in public. As others have said, things are going the wrong way--in far too many things.