Anyone watching the Olympics?

Nat

July 31st, 2012, 4:46 pm #1

Any comments?
. . . . .

Bob
Bob

July 31st, 2012, 5:05 pm #2

I just can't seem to get into it as much. I used to enjoy watching basketball, but the pros have taken that over and it isn't much fun for me. I watched a bit of the swimming -- the U.S. men's team has been lackluster so far. By the way, congrats to France on the two goal medals. I watched some of the women's gymnastics -- balance beam mostly. It always amases me how agile and precise they are on that 4" beam. I would have a challenge walking across the beam without falling off, let alone doing flips. I am most interested in the track and field events, and boxing, so I expect to watch more of the upcoming events. I have a buddy who enjoys the female beach volleyball . . . likes lean women in bikinis, I guess (personally, the physiques of top-level female athletes are not ideal)

Bob
Bob

July 31st, 2012, 7:57 pm #3

The NBA owners apparently don't want their high-priced players participating in the Olympic Games and the owners get no money. Also, that officials in some other countries tire of seeing the U.S. pros dominate Olympics basketball. Article says this could be the last Olympics to feature pro basketball stars. Ahhh, to go back to watching amateur players again -- I love it!

Bob
Bob

July 31st, 2012, 7:57 pm #4

Nat

August 1st, 2012, 3:45 am #5

The NBA owners apparently don't want their high-priced players participating in the Olympic Games and the owners get no money. Also, that officials in some other countries tire of seeing the U.S. pros dominate Olympics basketball. Article says this could be the last Olympics to feature pro basketball stars. Ahhh, to go back to watching amateur players again -- I love it!
This shows how sport-ignorant I am- I didn't think professionals could compet in the Olympics.

Anyway- yes, the girl's gymnastics are my favorite too. I like healthy girls, though as you note they don't have much on top-side. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any girls in the Olympics that excel in booberage.

But I haven't been as interested in this year's Olympics either for some reason. I guess after that opening of the China Olympics I figure nothing can ever top that.
. . . . .

Jenn
Jenn

August 1st, 2012, 1:32 pm #6

Any comments?
. . . . .
We are definitely watching! Sad about the men's gymnastics! That just sucked all the way around! Did have fun watching the girls last night - they were awesome! I also like the Beach Volleyball and the boys are ready for the diving and track and field stuff.

Nat

August 1st, 2012, 2:22 pm #7

Hi Jenn, glad to see you back. Come around more often. We miss you here.

So what happen about the men's gymnastics? Something I haven't heard about.
. . . . .

Jenn
Jenn

August 2nd, 2012, 12:12 pm #8

The men's all-around was a disaster - mistake after mistake. It was painful to watch. Then at the end there was a challenge by the Japanese team and it was upheld which we thought was not right.

We have also been disappointed because they dont show the scores a lot of times (like last night's final score for Layve - or the final outcome. And in both the first night's coverage of the men and in last nights there was NO COVERAGE of the rings - which is my older son's favorite! We could see it in the background, but never close up - really disappointing!

Question - it seems like a lot of the gymnasts have started shaving like a lot of the swimmers. My oldest actually mentioned it. More of a "see Mom" I think. Is this taking off in the mens department? I'm very familiar with the idea of "manscaping" but thought it was more "trimming" than full on shaving (except in certain areas.)

Nat

August 2nd, 2012, 12:37 pm #9

I didn't watch the men's gymnastic (for some reason the girls' gymnastics seem more interesting) but I've seen and heard many complaints about NBC's coverage- that the coverage is delayed, that they spend too much time on some things and not enough on others, that the commentators chatter too much- etc, etc. I know it must be an enormous logistic job to cover such a huge event but NBC is winning few friends with their attempt at doing it.

As for body shaving, from what I've seen, read and heard, body hair is out of style with young people today. It use to be considered "gay" for guys to shave body hair but now a days people think bare skin looks better than scraggly hair. I even see ads for body-shaving implements on TV.
. . . . .

Bob
Bob

August 2nd, 2012, 1:11 pm #10

This shows how sport-ignorant I am- I didn't think professionals could compet in the Olympics.

Anyway- yes, the girl's gymnastics are my favorite too. I like healthy girls, though as you note they don't have much on top-side. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any girls in the Olympics that excel in booberage.

But I haven't been as interested in this year's Olympics either for some reason. I guess after that opening of the China Olympics I figure nothing can ever top that.
. . . . .
Yes, in certain sports, the Olympics now feature professional superstar athletes. I think it started with basketball. Remember the "Dream Team" from 1992 Olympic Games? That might have been when it started. Michael Jordan and a bunch of other NBA stars played on that team. Now, pros from other sports have taken over the Olympics. Tennis, for example -- saw Roger Federer preparing yesterday for an Olympic match. And hockey in the Winter Olympics -- remember the National Hockey League stars at the Vancouver games, playing for USA and Canada for the gold? (which Canada won, by the way). I think any sport that is internationally popular as a high profile professional sport is now dominated in the Olympics by highly-paid professionals.

Of course, the reasoning for all this has been:

1) People want to see the very best play. Ok, fine. We already see the best basketball players from around the world play each other in the NBA. We already see the best tennis players from around the world play each other at Wimbledon, the French Open, the Australian Open, the US Open, etc. Pro tennis is even competed by country -- I think it is called the Davis Cup? Same with hockey.

2) People say that countries that do not have professional sports send their very best, while countries whose best players are pros used to send true amateurs to the Olympics. That put the latter countries at a disadvantage, having their younger, less experienced amateurs playing against older and more seasoned players who were supported by their government -- paid to train and play, and essentially were pros. The push in U.S. to add our pros to the Games started with basketball. As I recall, it was a reaction (over-reaction) to US teams losing to more experienced Eastern bloc teams. US used to do very well in basketball regardless, but as the Russians and others came on strong, the sentiment in the West became, "They are playing their best, and winning. We should play our best -- the NBA players." And that opened the whole can of worms.

The problem for me is that some sports are more enjoyable as amateur sports. I personally love college basketball but have no interest in watching the National Basketball Association. The pros already have their venues . . I think the Olympics should be reserved strictly for amateuer competition. Is it too much to ask to see true amateurs from around the world compete against each other? Don't they also deserve their moment in the spotlight for all their hard work?