Anybody running FireFox here?

Anybody running FireFox here?

Nat

July 4th, 2004, 5:46 am #1

In keeping with our BFF tradition of discussing off topic subjects- I wonder if anyone is running a Mozilla FireFox browser? I've been hearing such great things about it, and considering all the security holes MS-I.E., I decided to try FireFox tonight. It installed without problems, but it seems to run sooo ssllooww compared to I.E. Even the text crawl at the top of the page just creeps along at half speed compared to I.E. Just wonder if this is a problem with my configuration or if other people have had a problem with Firefox?

michaela
michaela

July 4th, 2004, 1:02 pm #2

We haven't ever tried Firefox, and haven't even heard of it.

Nat

July 4th, 2004, 1:41 pm #3

It's an free open-source browser from Mozilla. It is based on Linux and is suppose to be very virus-proof compared to MS I.E. see http://www.mozilla.org/

peter
peter

July 4th, 2004, 1:44 pm #4

I may have to give it a try.
Up loading all of the secuity patches for IE is becoming very frustrating.
Let me know how the speed goes and if you are able to reconfigure it to work better.

Nat

July 4th, 2004, 2:09 pm #5

Well it's very easy to install and even imports your IE bookmarks and cookies.
But I'm disappointed that my accessory toolbar programs won't work with it.
I think for now I'm be sticking with IE and patching- patching away!
It won't be long before the patch files will be bigger than the program!

bn
bn

July 4th, 2004, 2:14 pm #6

In keeping with our BFF tradition of discussing off topic subjects- I wonder if anyone is running a Mozilla FireFox browser? I've been hearing such great things about it, and considering all the security holes MS-I.E., I decided to try FireFox tonight. It installed without problems, but it seems to run sooo ssllooww compared to I.E. Even the text crawl at the top of the page just creeps along at half speed compared to I.E. Just wonder if this is a problem with my configuration or if other people have had a problem with Firefox?
I have used Firefox (it was previously named something else that I can't remember) since about version 0.7.

It seems a little slower to come up, although the person who introduced it to me said they had spent a lot of time trying to get it to display as quickly as possible.

My favorite features are the tabbed browsing. For instance, I pull up the BFF site and use the middle mouse button to click unread treads, they load in seperate tabs, allowing me to actually browse faster.

It has been reliable, rarely crashing, and when it did, it was usually because I had 50 or more tabs open, I suspect running out of memory.

What I miss is a browser based spell checker like ieSpell

Nat

July 4th, 2004, 2:28 pm #7

Yes the tab browsing is a very nice feature- best thing about the program. Really unclutters my task bar.

My bitch is not only does it boot slow, but everything about it seems to run slow.

Too bad you can't assemble your own browser drawing the best features from each!

Andy
Andy

July 4th, 2004, 3:14 pm #8

what about Opera???

Nat

July 4th, 2004, 3:23 pm #9

I tried Opera some years ago when it was in beta. Don't remember much about it now.

Is it still free?

Mr. Happy
Mr. Happy

July 4th, 2004, 4:53 pm #10

I use Firefox.

It's interesting that you've found it slow. In the dozens of installations of which I'm familiar, everyone is impressed with Firefox's speed.

Firefox allows for the installation of extensions, which provide additional features. Extensions are nice, because you can tailor your instance of Firefox to suit your needs. I don't know specifically if a spell-checker extension is available, but I'd be surprised if it weren't.

A couple of other things:
Mozilla (and Firefox) aren't related to Linux. It runs on Linux (and Windows and Macs), and it's developed in a related way, but it's not Linux.

Opera is sort of free. The free version comes with a banner ad, which I find highly annoying. I think the ad-less version is $35. Opera is a highly unique animal, and people seem to either love it or hate it.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and enjoy a much more secure online experience. Microsoft is one of few companies I know of that sells defective merchandise, and then blames their customers.