Airline Dress Codes

Airline Dress Codes

tgobg
tgobg

September 9th, 2007, 1:31 am #1

I am sure many have heard about the young lady that was asked to leave a SouthWest Airlines flight due to her attire. My wife mentioned something about it and i watched the video about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296053,00.html

While i have no qualms with people wearing what they want to, I can see that the Airline may have had spoken to her about the outfit. I think it was handled wrong, and i really dont see that the Air crew had the issue but more likely some passenger may have voiced a complaint. Possibly a person who would make a burqua look bad. I dont know. I also dont know that the outfit on the young lady is exactly as advertised. for all we know she may have been wearing it with out a bra and panties. Its been in the 100's out there, as her mom said its hot here and where she was going.
Again, i have no issues with that, but if you look at her picture which i couldnt post, her skirt does not appear to be as long as her hand. if she is as i read somewhere, only 5'5" tall her hands are probably not more than 6 inches or so long. While i am not going to make any judgements, i am going to guess that the outfit wasnt worn as "descretly" as it appeared on the tv and from my experience planes that make 1 hour flights are not very big,(SWA flies 737's) so perhaps the young lady inadvertently showed a bit more skin while climbing in to her seat than she admits or realized.

What i also find interesting was that it took 2 months for this to make the news.

Nat

September 9th, 2007, 12:44 pm #2

Well all I can go by is the photo, I don't see what the fuss is. Yes, the skirt is rather short, but no shorter than many cheerleader outfits, or as short as many shorts that women wear, so unless she was pantyless I don't see the problem.

tgobg
tgobg

September 9th, 2007, 1:05 pm #3

If you watch the video it is clear that she cannot sit with out the skirt riding up and flasshing her knickers (if she was wearing them) but unless we have the actual view that the Flight Attendant had... My thought is she was dressed to attract attention and she got what she wanted.

Bob
Bob

September 9th, 2007, 4:40 pm #4

The outfit was not inappropriate while standing, but when she sat down her panties showed. That was what I heard caused the flight attendant's objection. I think the eventual compromise (having her cover her legs with a blanket) should have been suggested from the beginning and there might not have been any fuss.

Eric UK
Eric UK

September 9th, 2007, 5:21 pm #5

I agree with Bob, the simplest and most discrete approach would have been to ask the young lady to put a blanket across her knees, or at least whisper in ear to suggest that she keep her knees together. Perhaps she was without underwear though - nice thought.

Was taken to a Hooters restaurant on a business trip to Ft Lauderdale a few years back. What a turn off. Waitresses wearing extremely tight shorts, extremely thick pantyhose and what looked like cast iron bras (from the wrinkles in their shirts).

Nat

September 9th, 2007, 5:50 pm #6

The outfit was not inappropriate while standing, but when she sat down her panties showed. That was what I heard caused the flight attendant's objection. I think the eventual compromise (having her cover her legs with a blanket) should have been suggested from the beginning and there might not have been any fuss.
Well it could be that she honestly didn't realize how much she was revealing when sitting.
It's like guys who freeball in floppy leg shorts- they look just fine in a mirror, but when sitting at certain angles the 'boys' may put on a show.

But I agree a simply leg covering would have solved the problem with much less fuss and embarrassment.

Now I wonder if this is going to be a lawsuit?- or if that was even the objective?
In any case the airlines' clumsy handling of it certainly opens them up for one.

mackayla
mackayla

September 9th, 2007, 7:04 pm #7

I am sure many have heard about the young lady that was asked to leave a SouthWest Airlines flight due to her attire. My wife mentioned something about it and i watched the video about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296053,00.html

While i have no qualms with people wearing what they want to, I can see that the Airline may have had spoken to her about the outfit. I think it was handled wrong, and i really dont see that the Air crew had the issue but more likely some passenger may have voiced a complaint. Possibly a person who would make a burqua look bad. I dont know. I also dont know that the outfit on the young lady is exactly as advertised. for all we know she may have been wearing it with out a bra and panties. Its been in the 100's out there, as her mom said its hot here and where she was going.
Again, i have no issues with that, but if you look at her picture which i couldnt post, her skirt does not appear to be as long as her hand. if she is as i read somewhere, only 5'5" tall her hands are probably not more than 6 inches or so long. While i am not going to make any judgements, i am going to guess that the outfit wasnt worn as "descretly" as it appeared on the tv and from my experience planes that make 1 hour flights are not very big,(SWA flies 737's) so perhaps the young lady inadvertently showed a bit more skin while climbing in to her seat than she admits or realized.

What i also find interesting was that it took 2 months for this to make the news.
As many of you know from my writings in the past about taking on the school district about our employee dress code a few years back, that I am not a fan of dress codes.
I also don't care for the self appointed fashion police.
Unless you are at work, or at elementary, middle, or high school, I just don't get why anyone thinks they have a right to say what you wear or don't wear. (I really don't think they have a right to say anything in schools either, but I know they have their rules)

Why should a paying customer in any kind of transportation have to adhere to any type of dress code? What is SW Air, Saudi Arabia? Who cares if she isn't wearing underwear, and accidently flashes when taking her seat? And if she was wearing underwear, and flashed it, jeeze...what the hell is wrong with that? Did anyone notice that the flight attendant who reported her was male?

Why did they call SW AIR a family airline? Is there any other kind? Oh, yeah, there are military transports...but I mean, are there adult only airlines? Do we have a rating system now for transportation? And what is so unfamily about underpants? Every little girl I have ever seen wearing a dress flashes her underwear. It is so common it could be a tradition, a requirement. What is wrong with a little underwear showing?

Why is everyone so quick to want to control what every one else looks like, wears, or does? I saw her outfit on the news...the girls at the high school in my little redneck Texas town are wearing the same outfit. What gives? I can't believe this is happening. I mean, if she was fat, and the flight attendant was Bob, well then I can see what all the fuss would be about. But this is rediculous.

Nat

September 9th, 2007, 7:18 pm #8

Well you have a valid point. Certainly I have a record of opposing capricious dress rules.
And I probably shouldn't be passing any judgment at all on this without knowing more about the situation.

September 9th, 2007, 9:00 pm #9

I agree with Bob, the simplest and most discrete approach would have been to ask the young lady to put a blanket across her knees, or at least whisper in ear to suggest that she keep her knees together. Perhaps she was without underwear though - nice thought.

Was taken to a Hooters restaurant on a business trip to Ft Lauderdale a few years back. What a turn off. Waitresses wearing extremely tight shorts, extremely thick pantyhose and what looked like cast iron bras (from the wrinkles in their shirts).
They are about the same here in San Antonio.....

Tgobg
Tgobg

September 10th, 2007, 2:19 am #10

As many of you know from my writings in the past about taking on the school district about our employee dress code a few years back, that I am not a fan of dress codes.
I also don't care for the self appointed fashion police.
Unless you are at work, or at elementary, middle, or high school, I just don't get why anyone thinks they have a right to say what you wear or don't wear. (I really don't think they have a right to say anything in schools either, but I know they have their rules)

Why should a paying customer in any kind of transportation have to adhere to any type of dress code? What is SW Air, Saudi Arabia? Who cares if she isn't wearing underwear, and accidently flashes when taking her seat? And if she was wearing underwear, and flashed it, jeeze...what the hell is wrong with that? Did anyone notice that the flight attendant who reported her was male?

Why did they call SW AIR a family airline? Is there any other kind? Oh, yeah, there are military transports...but I mean, are there adult only airlines? Do we have a rating system now for transportation? And what is so unfamily about underpants? Every little girl I have ever seen wearing a dress flashes her underwear. It is so common it could be a tradition, a requirement. What is wrong with a little underwear showing?

Why is everyone so quick to want to control what every one else looks like, wears, or does? I saw her outfit on the news...the girls at the high school in my little redneck Texas town are wearing the same outfit. What gives? I can't believe this is happening. I mean, if she was fat, and the flight attendant was Bob, well then I can see what all the fuss would be about. But this is rediculous.
I agree with you on the dress codes for the most part. Schools have dress code to avoid distractions or gang related issues. Also if the school has a uniform requirement, it makes it idiot proof for what to wear each day and there is no discrimination because you cant afford the Abercrombie Bitch sweatshirt for $250.
As for the young lady on the Airline, some of the reports i have read stated that the flight attendant told her that there had been comments/complaints about her attire. I personally think a female flight attendant should have approached her and made the blanket offer. A simple pardon me miss but you are exposing a bit more (whatever) than we are comfortable with and a concerned passenger asked us to let you know. SWA definatly made it more of an issue than it should be.

However, i am almost positive that if the young lady had been wearing the same outfit sans bra and panties (which in the 110+ temps wouldnt suprise me) she wasnt about to go on national TV and show her goods to the nation. As the Airline declined to state whether that was the issue and Matt Lauer was not about to ask her that question. Unless a passenger on the airline comes forward and makes a statement to whether she was showing all her bits, we may never know as both sides in the dispute are going to stick to their version of the truth