John Bayko

October 17th, 2005, 3:17 am #1

Here's a woman's tale of what she discovered after forgetting a bra one day:

http://www.collegehumor.com/articles/247403/

Charlie
Charlie

October 17th, 2005, 2:30 pm #2

Good for her!

There's common, average, and normal. She's decided to accept being normal.

Nat

October 17th, 2005, 5:23 pm #3

Here's a woman's tale of what she discovered after forgetting a bra one day:

http://www.collegehumor.com/articles/247403/
Its nice that this woman has taken some steps towards brafreedom, but I'm afraid she is still handicapped by today's mindset when she says "There are certain things you should never do without a bra- stair climb, jump rope, tap dance, operate heavy machinery." Well, I beg her pardon, but I recall seeing plenty of brafree women climbing stairs, jogging, dancing, riding motorcycles and doing everything else people do, and managing just fine without bras.

But this is typical of today's women, even this one, who believe women are dependant on bras to do anything more physical than walk down the street. Bra-dependence is so much a part women's psyche today that when I tell young people how common brafreedom was 35 years ago I can hardly blame their skepticism. Indeed, sometimes I begin to wonder myself if oldtimers disease has not jaded my memory so it is always nice to run across some collaborating documentation- such as I found in a recent book by D. M. Miller's about the building of Disney World in Florida. (Available as a ebook at http://www.ebookmall.com/ebook/143203-ebook.htm and as a paperbook at Amazon and most bookstores).

Read this passage:

"After the month long practice of the soft opening, the Disney staff was ready to greet the paying guests on opening day, October 23, 1971. The relaxed morals of the 1960's were still evident in the early 1970's. One symbol of this new morality and a symbol of the liberated woman was the disappearance of the bra. In the sixties women burned them; in the seventies they simply didn't wear them. Roy Disney was no prude, but he felt that women without bras were not appropriate for a family park. On opening day he instructed Disney Security and the Main Gate ticket sellers to prohibit any woman who was obviously not wearing a bra from entering the Magic Kingdom. But shortly after the ticket offices opened, Roy received a panicked call from the Chief of Disney Security. They had turned away so many braless women that the turnstiles were jammed up and there was a huge traffic jam, people wanting to get in who couldn't. It was close to becoming a public relations disaster, and Roy reluctantly withdrew his orders. Those of us who were in the park on opening day can attest that half of the women guests were not wearing bras."

Note that?- half of the women at Disney were not wearing bras.

That's sure a lot of boobies enjoying a fun day of riding the rides and doing everything there is to do at Disney with total brafreedom. Today's young women would never believe it possible.

October 17th, 2005, 6:03 pm #4

Both yours and John's articles are interesting. I wonder what would happen at Disney World today if they tried that. Not that there are enough women brafree to make it happen, but if there were...

And the story that John posted is interesting to me in that while the author is funny in her writing style, it is unfortunate that her humor is self deprecating. She--in a sense--joins in with the reaction she sees to her braless state by putting herself down. I have read other women who write this same way, either about themselves or their characters. I don't think there is really much positive to see in her article because of the tone. I get the feeling after reading it that she won't ever do that again. Instead it would have been interesting to see if she might try it again, and how, and in what scenario, with a promise for an update. But I didn't sense that would be happening. She didn't really take it seriously.

Nat

October 17th, 2005, 6:41 pm #5

I'm afraid you're right. It takes a brave woman to buck the now harden convention that says you must wear a bra. I think it took a truly unique set of circumstances in the 1960s to entice so many women into brafreedom, and we may never see that happen again.

Boreas
Boreas

October 17th, 2005, 6:49 pm #6

I think the difference in the 60's and the 70's was the power of group behaviour. Somehow, a group of people became disatisfied with the status quo in the 60's and 70's and sought to challenge it. Women going bra-free were doing it in groups, not alone. Now, it seems that any woman going bra-free is likely the only one in the crowd and that is intimidating.

Nat

October 17th, 2005, 7:12 pm #7

Well this is true, but it takes certain circumstances and attitudes to motivate enough women to join the rebellion against establishment norms. In the '60s we had several confluence trends that all worked synergisticly- the anti-establishment hippies, the feminists, the environmentalists, even the anti-war movement all played into a mindset of questioning authority and rebelling against convention. And because of all this confluence, what started as a fringe movement among a social radicals grew to become mainstream college and then mainstreet fashion.

You just don't have this questioning rebellious attitude among teens and young women, today. They are much more conservative and conformists like the 1950s then the rebellious 1960s youth.

October 17th, 2005, 7:50 pm #8

Also, the bras that women were rejecting back in the sixties really sucked! They weren't the pretty lacy/lycra ones of today. They were those ugly white, stiff, cotton torpedo cupped horrors they came out with in the fifties. Woman today not only have society telling them that their breasts are all wrong without surgery, but they have such pretty underthings to buy to hide their flaws behind.

This is why I just hate to see women writing, or telling jokes, down about themselves. All of society is doing enough of that already. Even one who is writing here at BFF now who wishes women were still what they were in the fifties. We aren't our mothers and grandmothers. Some of us like our bodies just fine without any un-natural enhancements. We like our hair long or short. We like pants and skirts, and especially without underwear! No one should be writing negatively about women or men. Cause we are all so cool!

Nat

October 17th, 2005, 8:25 pm #9

Well you raise a good point about the bras. I remember a lot of bra ads coming out in the 1970s emphasizing comfort and the "natural look". They were seamless and so soft and elastic that women looked braless even when wearing them. Indeed some actually bounced more when wearing these bras then when the breasts were just hanging.

But ironically now many teens and young women are concern about looking "too natural"- about having noticable movement or visible nipples. Some are going back to the older stiffer styles or even wearing pads in their bras to avoid these "problems".

JB
JB

October 17th, 2005, 8:56 pm #10

Both yours and John's articles are interesting. I wonder what would happen at Disney World today if they tried that. Not that there are enough women brafree to make it happen, but if there were...

And the story that John posted is interesting to me in that while the author is funny in her writing style, it is unfortunate that her humor is self deprecating. She--in a sense--joins in with the reaction she sees to her braless state by putting herself down. I have read other women who write this same way, either about themselves or their characters. I don't think there is really much positive to see in her article because of the tone. I get the feeling after reading it that she won't ever do that again. Instead it would have been interesting to see if she might try it again, and how, and in what scenario, with a promise for an update. But I didn't sense that would be happening. She didn't really take it seriously.
I had the same reaction as you, Michaela. Then I saw that the woman does comedy and I understood that she was really having some fun with the topic.