A personal account ---- (long but poignant)

A personal account ---- (long but poignant)

Anudist
Anudist

July 28th, 2002, 2:40 am #1

I'd like to post my personal story here:

I am a survivor of more than I wish to share but will share that I have been abused and molested and leave it at that.

When I was an adolescent, I discovered the comfortableness of sleeping in the nude. Nudity was not practiced in the home by my family with the exception that my father slept only in a pajama top and was bottomless. He didn't exactly parade his bottomlessness in front of me or my older sister but would occcasionally be seen out of the bedroom in this attire. However, if he was venturing to the kitchen he usually did put a robe on.

My next experience with nudism came at a summer camp where I skinnydipped for the first time. I was too young and mentally undeveloped and immature to really know how good skinnydipping felt and didnt' skinnydip again until much later in life with a few minor exceptions.

One thing that I did do as a child was travel to exotic locations. One such location was Rio and another was Martinique; both places have topless beaches for women even back in the "dark" ages of the early 1970's. I remember things that my father said about these beaches and the comments were usually very condenscending towards women. He even packed binoculars so that he "could get a better look" and that embarassed me.

Then in 1983, my parents and I traveled to Europe. My sister was married at the time and unable to attend this trip. We went to Spain for a week and then spent another week in Switzerland. I myself was living away from home and attending college in AZ while my family was in CA.

In Spain, we stayed on the Costa Del Sol which is a haven of topfree beaches from meany europeans and again, my father made rude and lewd comments toward the women. This was a company trip paid for by my parents company and my father was a regional executive and many of the other men on the trip seemed to agree with my father.

I was lucky enough to be able to meet and even date some of the young girls that I met on the beach. However, I was publically humiliated on the tour buses when people would make comments about the size of the "hooters" (et al) of the girl that I had been with that day on the beaches.

After we left the company tour we ventured on to Switzerland. My only expectations of Switzerland was to be "BORING" due to its conservativeness. However, I was pleasantly suprized to learn that Switzerland is made up of cities that are built around major lakes. This trip was in the summer and it was HOT. I remember being able to see women and men come out of there office buildings at 5pm walk tot he local beach, strip to bra and panties, bottoms only, and fully nude to go for a quick dip in teh cool lake waters. NO ONE was hasseled or abused. I don't even recall any comments that may have been made by my parents because I was secretly entralled.

Upon my own return to AZ, there was an article on a local nudist resort, in the local "underground" newspaper. (an underground Newspaper in AZ would be like the National Enquirer --- AZ is fairly rednecked and concersavative). Based upon my piqued interest in Switzerland and the content of this article, I paid the place a visit and have been a nudist (ANUDIST) ever since.

What does all that have to do with my support of toplessness??? I don't really know other than to say that by becoming a nudist, I have become very tolerant towards other peoples likes and dislikes. PLUS I have become more tolerant toward "how people look" dressed and undressed. Finally, I support topfreedomness because I truly believe that if we take baby steps to topfree beaches then nude beaches will become more acceptable; futhermore, I feel as if its a woman's right to bare or not to bare and athat whereever a man can be topfree a woman should have the same right.

Anyone else care to share their story and reason for supporting topfreedomness???

anonymous
anonymous

July 28th, 2002, 10:36 am #2

The threat to toplessness is not from bigot laws (as you pretend is the case in the US), but from increasingly prudish attitudes in society at large.

In Europe, toplessness became a social trend in the 70s(people just did it), then it became legal (in the 80s), peaked in the late Eighties and is currently in fast retrocess. In Germany, women are covering up in droves - just because they feel to, not because anybody forces them.

Conclusion: it's no the law stopping us, or conservative politicians, but society at large. Society is quickly becoming prudish all over the world.

JB
JB

July 28th, 2002, 3:57 pm #3

I don't think that the fact that people choose to cover up makes them prudes. It is their choice whether to cover up or not, and they are choosing to cover up. The fact that they cover up does not affect your right to go topfree in your own backyard or at the beach (where that is legal) if you choose to exercise that right.

Did you think that perhaps they are covering up because they know that sun exposure is not a good thing? The effects of sun exposure are cumulative.

Uschi & Karl
Uschi & Karl

July 29th, 2002, 12:19 pm #4

The threat to toplessness is not from bigot laws (as you pretend is the case in the US), but from increasingly prudish attitudes in society at large.

In Europe, toplessness became a social trend in the 70s(people just did it), then it became legal (in the 80s), peaked in the late Eighties and is currently in fast retrocess. In Germany, women are covering up in droves - just because they feel to, not because anybody forces them.

Conclusion: it's no the law stopping us, or conservative politicians, but society at large. Society is quickly becoming prudish all over the world.
Hallo, we are from Germany. Oben ohne is no question in Germany. a Woman decide if she want to go topless. many woman go topless in Germany and other places in the world. and many woman not. I (Uschi) go sometimes oben ohne but not all the time. I like bikinis. and so like many women. a Bikini make me look better. we think it is very strange that you men talk about topless women. german men never do. a Woman can decide self if she want topless or not. honest we have to laugh a lot on this forum, like Jerry Springer. all the storie and the bad things. it is so strange for if you are not American. we laughe about the woman with the big ones with hard nipples all the time. she workd in some club? (we did not understand)but was fired and now worked a woman with small ones. she pushed with her nipples? who make up a storie like that! and topless partie and pizza man: we laugh, we never have them in germany. and a topless woman in car! it is really jerry springer show .

JB
JB

July 29th, 2002, 2:58 pm #5

We want not to have to talk about topless women; we want women to have the same rights as men.

BTW is Jerry Springer, the undisputed king of trash tv in America, well known in Europe? How do you know of him?

Uschi
Uschi

July 29th, 2002, 3:35 pm #6

I do not understand your answer. we talk about the rights of woman in Germany. Woman can go oben ohne in Germany. so yes we have same rights as men.

Jerry springer show is on tv for years in many countries in Europa. but not so popular anymore.

JB
JB

July 29th, 2002, 5:51 pm #7

What I meant was that if men and women had the same rights (topfree rights included), we would not have to talk about topless women because it would be no big deal, just as it appears not to be a big deal in Germany.

If men and women had the same topfree rights, nobody would care about topless women, in my opinion. It would probably put the topless bars out of business.
BTW, do topless bars exist in Germany?

Uschi & Karl
Uschi & Karl

July 29th, 2002, 6:57 pm #8

Yes they do and in France, England and all other places. I think there is not a relation. we do not have the thing that woman do in America with showing their breasts in festivals and bars.

Jamie
Jamie

July 30th, 2002, 2:12 am #9

Flashing is typical American I'm afraid. I've been critizing it on this forum because I think it's so stupid of women. Makes us American women look like hysteric girls. How can they ever take us and our fight for equal rights serious if we act so childish? It's that attitude on this forum which irritates me: the stories and pcis of the flashing women. They only do it for themselves (that's what Gina said !) and for the voyeurs. That's what leads to nothing and does not do anything good for our femnale rights. And the most stupid thing is that I've been critized for this opinion on this hostile forum. Me who's only supporting the basic reason of this forum and who's not just looking at the pics.

JB
JB

July 30th, 2002, 2:45 pm #10

>Flashing is typical American I'm afraid. I've been critizing it on this forum because I think it's so stupid of women. Makes us American women look like hysteric girls. <

Agreed. I don't think women should go to the drive-up window at their local fast food outlet topfree, but I think if a man can do that, they should be able to do it too. I don't think it is even appropriate for a man to do that. That is more appropriate for the beach or pool.