A great opportunity

A great opportunity

david
david

October 3rd, 2004, 1:47 pm #1

As part of breast awareness month ( in the UK?) a large scale survey of breast cancer causes is being conducted by breakthrough, a leading breast cancer charity here in the UK, together with some leading breast cancer experts. The survey claims to be looking at ALL aspects of possible breast cancer causation factors. In the past Breakthrough and all other b/c charities to my knowledge have been very keen to play down any possible bra / cancer connection, without actual medical proof of such a connection. As they won't do the research this is the ultimate catch 22 situation. Now, at last here is a great opportunity for women to make their thoughts on bra wearing and any health problems they have experienced due to bras, known to some of the people who count. They won't be asking about bra wearing habits but there will be opportunity to make your point I'm sure.
I would implore as many people as possible to sign up for the survey - unfortunately the survey is restricted to the uk, but they are looking for 100,000 women from all walks of life with all sorts of views to take part. The survey will be ongoing for 50 years. If it turns out that bras do cause breast cancer then we would expect results to be forthcoming much quicker maybe as soon as 5 years. My wife, Chris, has signed up. Please can as many as possible sign up and make this count - we don't get many opportunities like this. More details at:
http://www.breakthroughgenerations.org. ... index.html

and
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/awareness/b ... ncer.shtml

Regards,
David

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

October 3rd, 2004, 5:13 pm #2

Useful resources, yes. And I would encourage women in the UK to take part. But don't get your hopes up, unless they end up enrolling women at very high risk of breast cancer already, the number of women in the survey actually deloping breast cancer over the first five years will be very small, and so it will not be able to answer any questions.

These are called cohort studies. Once a predetermined number of women in the group have developed the condition of interest (breast cancer) an intense mathematical examination of all of their characteristics at enrollment takes place. The aim is to see which things are different in the group who develop breast cancer from the rest. Often an increased risk of 100% (twice as high) is considered convincing.

Many of the factors that will turn up, will be well known, such as age, number of children and family history. There will then be an effort to sift out less well known factors that may be playing a part in addition.

The problem with bras is that the number of women who do not wear bras (and that really means never) is so small it will be difficult to see any effect. As other posters have pointed out, it is likely that braless women are not typical (they are smarter), so all the other factors that make them different would need to be taken into account.

However knowledge is power.

david
david

October 3rd, 2004, 6:30 pm #3

-- about there being very few bra free women out there. That's why it is important to encourage as many (bra free women)as possible to take this survey so they can make their feelings felt. Whilst the effect of bras on breast cancer certainly won't show up in 5 years, the elimination of many of the possible peripheral symptoms, such as breast pain and cysts certainly will - but only if a bra free trial becomes part of the survey.
At least this is a step in the right direction, I feel. Other studies have been conducted, the benefits of bra abstinance demonstrated and then the people who have done the work have not been heard of again, or at least, have not followed up their earlier work. Maybe if this survey is going on for 50 years the results will not be able to be swept under the carpet again.
David Moth

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

October 4th, 2004, 10:46 pm #4

Have you sent away for the information package (UK only)? If so perhaps you can share it once you have it.

I think there is no chance that it will include a bra free trial. As far as people who 'Disappear' goes, it takes a while to get things written up and published. I have been in touch with the authors of the bra free trial and it will be published shortly.

EuropeMan
EuropeMan

October 5th, 2004, 5:45 am #5

I wonder if the bra manufacturing industry would be solid donators in favors of breast cancer research. They are (with the whole underwear industry) the big advertizers in women's magazines - and it is obvious that their writers have limits in their article freedom.

david
david

October 5th, 2004, 3:19 pm #6

Have you sent away for the information package (UK only)? If so perhaps you can share it once you have it.

I think there is no chance that it will include a bra free trial. As far as people who 'Disappear' goes, it takes a while to get things written up and published. I have been in touch with the authors of the bra free trial and it will be published shortly.
Yes when we get the pack I'll post anything intersting for comment.
Glad to hear Mansel and Cawthorn are about to publish their results. Do you know if they plan further research using younger women?
David

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

October 5th, 2004, 11:12 pm #7

I wonder if the bra manufacturing industry would be solid donators in favors of breast cancer research. They are (with the whole underwear industry) the big advertizers in women's magazines - and it is obvious that their writers have limits in their article freedom.
They have been asked and they said no. They do fund research into the benefits of sports bras though!

Pat
Pat

October 7th, 2004, 3:50 pm #8

According to the authors of the largest study ever done on the bras and disease connection, Sydney Singer and Soma Grismaijer, sports bras are some of the worst. Their reason is that sports bras compress the breasts so much. The only way to change the shape of your breasts (flatten them out from their natural shape or even create the "uniboob" look), is by putting pressure on soft tissue, which can hamper circulation. The only way to completely stop breast movement is by putting substantial pressure on them, and movement is necessary for circulation. Take a look at the photo at the top of this page of our bra-free example and imagine her wearing a sports bra and consider how much that would alter her shape and how many points on her breast would be squeezed.

Pat
Pat

October 7th, 2004, 3:53 pm #9

What brafree trial are you speaking of?

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

October 8th, 2004, 2:10 am #10

According to the authors of the largest study ever done on the bras and disease connection, Sydney Singer and Soma Grismaijer, sports bras are some of the worst. Their reason is that sports bras compress the breasts so much. The only way to change the shape of your breasts (flatten them out from their natural shape or even create the "uniboob" look), is by putting pressure on soft tissue, which can hamper circulation. The only way to completely stop breast movement is by putting substantial pressure on them, and movement is necessary for circulation. Take a look at the photo at the top of this page of our bra-free example and imagine her wearing a sports bra and consider how much that would alter her shape and how many points on her breast would be squeezed.
First let us remember that Singer was an anthropologist, and much of the work is theoretical. Next consider that naturally bra manufacturers are inerested in sports bras, in fact they would like us to have a different bra for every hour in the day!

On the other hand sports bras are only worn for short periods of time during the day. Why wear a sports bra? Well most women do not need a bra to exercise, but some get pain which limits their ability to exercise, which is clearly not good.

Breast pain on exercise is directly related to the degree of breast movement and for women with this problem, the more restraint the less pain. In fact sports bras have been researched, and although no two sports bras are the same, they do limit movement more than conventional bras.

You are quite right, sports bras are by design breast flatteners rather than breast lifters because they are designed to be movement restrainers rather than fashion statements (forward accentuation of the breast).

The bottom line is, if breast movement restricts your enjoyment in sports and exercise, then use the minimum restraint that works for you. This may be a tank top, a bra, or a sports bra. It does not need to be that tight that it squashes the breasts, only tight enough for your comfort.