a breastfeeding mom's experiment

a breastfeeding mom's experiment

elijah
elijah

February 20th, 2005, 11:06 pm #1

here's an inspiring story about a mom who wanted to see how far she can go with breastfeeding in public.

http://www.nypost.com/health/40534.htm

here's another story--i'm not sure if it's true of not--of a mother trying to... well, you just have to read it.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/105703.html

BigAl53
BigAl53

February 20th, 2005, 11:57 pm #2

Again, this is something which is quite common in the UK, but the mothers are able to be so discrete that people barely notice. However, I remember being in Berlin Zoo once where there was a family of 4 or 5 walking about with the mother quite happily breast-feeding her baby 'on the hoof'.

On another occasion, in the UK this time, I was in a Rare Breeds Farm, when I became aware of a young lady sat on a step right at the entrance to one of the animal houses. For some reason we caught each others' eye and she smiled rather shyly. Then suddenly I realised that she was breast feeding her infant.

On another occasion I was walking past a small cafe in the city in which I live and happened to glance in the rather large 'picture window'. There inside was a mother breast feeding her baby but there was absolutely no attempt at modesty/concealment/decorum at all - quite the reverse in fact. Her blouse was unbuttoned all the way down, and both breasts and nipples were completely exposed. (Come to think of it, she must've been bra-free) It was as if she was trying to prove a point; but it was rather an unnecessary and unsavoury exhibition.

BigAl53
BigAl53

February 21st, 2005, 12:00 am #3

here's an inspiring story about a mom who wanted to see how far she can go with breastfeeding in public.

here's another story--i'm not sure if it's true of not--of a mother trying to... well, you just have to read it.

Given my experiences of Staffordshire Bull Terriers, I would say that the second experiment was somewhat dangerous!

Charlie
Charlie

February 21st, 2005, 5:18 am #4

Long ago (about 1979), I had the pleasure of a JAL 747 flight to Tokyo. I had a window seat, two empty seats next to me, and across the aisle, a young Japanese mother, infant (about 7-8 months I'd guess -- could sit up by itself), and hubby. Some time into the trip, it was nursing time for baby, and what a joy to see.

Mom had a elastic neck type of sundress which fell to mid-cleavage, and baby was in overalls/shirt/socks outfit. She put her left heel on the seat and used her folded leg to prop up the baby, which sat on her lap -- the Egyptian position, I've heard it called. Mom and child had great eye contact, and both were upright, face to face. With that, mom simply pulled down the elastic neck below her breast, and happy baby leaned forward to latch on with a giggle. I didn't notice a bra, and she was perhaps a B to C cup at most. More giggles and gooing, a bit of patty-cake with dad, then onto the other breast.

The attendant (also Japanese) happened by, smiled, goo-gooed at the baby, and went on her way.

When baby was satisfied, then it was play time. Baby leaned back with open mouth, then, wide eyed, dove for the nipple again. Oops... Mom let the elastic slip back up... a mouthful of cotton!! Giggle giggle, pat pat with the hands, and mom dropped the top again. Back to the nipple for desert.

Some more cuddling, burps all around, and back to the seat between the couple for tidy up and nap time.

And what struck me was how completely normal this all was, compared to what I had experienced up to that point... which was to say... nothing like it.

So, good for you all, and go with demand feeding all around. There's average, and there's normal. Breastfeeding is normal. I hope it becomes average someday soon.

michaela
michaela

February 21st, 2005, 2:09 pm #5

I love that first story! I wish there were more women with such boldness to prove the reason for breasts.

The second story is incredible. Funny how at one point it is mentioned that she is breast feeding the dog but that the baby is being bottle fed. How screwy!

michaela
michaela

February 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm #6

Long ago (about 1979), I had the pleasure of a JAL 747 flight to Tokyo. I had a window seat, two empty seats next to me, and across the aisle, a young Japanese mother, infant (about 7-8 months I'd guess -- could sit up by itself), and hubby. Some time into the trip, it was nursing time for baby, and what a joy to see.

Mom had a elastic neck type of sundress which fell to mid-cleavage, and baby was in overalls/shirt/socks outfit. She put her left heel on the seat and used her folded leg to prop up the baby, which sat on her lap -- the Egyptian position, I've heard it called. Mom and child had great eye contact, and both were upright, face to face. With that, mom simply pulled down the elastic neck below her breast, and happy baby leaned forward to latch on with a giggle. I didn't notice a bra, and she was perhaps a B to C cup at most. More giggles and gooing, a bit of patty-cake with dad, then onto the other breast.

The attendant (also Japanese) happened by, smiled, goo-gooed at the baby, and went on her way.

When baby was satisfied, then it was play time. Baby leaned back with open mouth, then, wide eyed, dove for the nipple again. Oops... Mom let the elastic slip back up... a mouthful of cotton!! Giggle giggle, pat pat with the hands, and mom dropped the top again. Back to the nipple for desert.

Some more cuddling, burps all around, and back to the seat between the couple for tidy up and nap time.

And what struck me was how completely normal this all was, compared to what I had experienced up to that point... which was to say... nothing like it.

So, good for you all, and go with demand feeding all around. There's average, and there's normal. Breastfeeding is normal. I hope it becomes average someday soon.
This is a lovely story. Thank you for telling us about your experience. We can all use some positive reinforcement.

michaela
michaela

February 21st, 2005, 2:15 pm #7

Again, this is something which is quite common in the UK, but the mothers are able to be so discrete that people barely notice. However, I remember being in Berlin Zoo once where there was a family of 4 or 5 walking about with the mother quite happily breast-feeding her baby 'on the hoof'.

On another occasion, in the UK this time, I was in a Rare Breeds Farm, when I became aware of a young lady sat on a step right at the entrance to one of the animal houses. For some reason we caught each others' eye and she smiled rather shyly. Then suddenly I realised that she was breast feeding her infant.

On another occasion I was walking past a small cafe in the city in which I live and happened to glance in the rather large 'picture window'. There inside was a mother breast feeding her baby but there was absolutely no attempt at modesty/concealment/decorum at all - quite the reverse in fact. Her blouse was unbuttoned all the way down, and both breasts and nipples were completely exposed. (Come to think of it, she must've been bra-free) It was as if she was trying to prove a point; but it was rather an unnecessary and unsavoury exhibition.
With all respect, BigAl, I wonder why you equate shyness with good and an unshy, unbuttoned blouse with a negative display. Could you elaborate? I mean, was there something else in the unbuttoned woman's demeanor that was unsavory? Surely it wasn't just the obvious breast feeding?

February 21st, 2005, 6:01 pm #8

It wasn't that I was equating shy with 'good'. It was simply probably this young woman's first time and she felt a bit self-conscious about it. She smiled and blushed because she thought I'd noticed - but I hadn't until a split second or so later.

The lady in cafe: Well it was her whole demeanour. Sprawled in a chair, leaning backwards, both breasts totally exposed. It was just blatant and unnecessary exhibitionism which, if diners or management themselves objected, could find women being banned from breastfeeding their babies in the dining area. Also, I could imagine that younger women might well find this to be 'gross' (to use a popular term used at present) and vow not to breast feed their children in public.

michaela
michaela

February 21st, 2005, 8:42 pm #9

That is what I wondered exactly. If the woman who was being obvious was 'gross' and if this has happened much it could explain why breastfeeding moms have had such a difficult time feeding their babies in public. Just a few who behave badly spoil things for everyone else. Thank You.

Nat

February 21st, 2005, 9:47 pm #10

Yes, unfortunately a few who abuse a privilege ruin it for everyone.
I think this is what happen in the 1970s with the free beach movement. We really seem to be making good progress with public acceptance until some began going to far and created a backlash.