2008 Election

2008 Election

Brandon
Brandon

December 14th, 2007, 3:56 am #1

Do any of you guys have a favorite in the 2008 presidential election?

I had been going back and forth between Fred Thompson and Mike Huckabee, but Fred is just not bringing enough excitement to his campaign.

So Huckabee is my man!! How can I be against a Baptist preacher. Plus Chuck Norris endorsed him and Chuck was friends with Steve McQueen who is the coolest guy ever. (Watch the 1968 film Bullitt if you don't believe me).

Can't stand Rudy and Romney comes off like a bad car salesman. McCain is an American hero, but I don't believe in limiting free speech and that is exactly what his McCain-Feingold bill does.

The Democratic contenders are all idiots this election as they have been for about the last 25 years or so.

Nat

December 14th, 2007, 5:10 am #2

Well as you might expect from our past discussions we are on different sides of the political fence here. But I'm not too happy with the Democrat choices either- while I actually agree with most of Hillary's positions I think she is going to be hard to elect in a time when a Democrat should be a shoe-in. The problem is so many people just don't like her and if she is the nominee she will motivate a lot of protest voters who would otherwise stay home- this could even hurt the Democrat's congressional races. I'm not crazy about Obama either- I think he's too inexperienced and I think there there is a lot more racial bias out there then people think. I'm really surprised that Edwards has not done better. On the surface he would seem to have a lot going for him- good looks- a popularists message in a time when the middle class is struggling- but he just doesn't catch fire with people. It's been a long time since we have had a really good president. I always say anyone who is smart enough to do the job doesn't want the job.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

December 14th, 2007, 1:30 pm #3

I had been going back and forth between Fred Thompson and Mike Huckabee, but Fred is just not bringing enough excitement to his campaign.

So Huckabee is my man!! How can I be against a Baptist preacher. Plus Chuck Norris endorsed him and Chuck was friends with Steve McQueen who is the coolest guy ever. (Watch the 1968 film Bullitt if you don't believe me).

Can't stand Rudy and Romney comes off like a bad car salesman. McCain is an American hero, but I don't believe in limiting free speech and that is exactly what his McCain-Feingold bill does.

The Democratic contenders are all idiots this election as they have been for about the last 25 years or so.
All the Repbulicans except Ron Paul are pandering to the religious right which is unforgivable. Rudy is a thug, Romney is a snake oil salesman, and Huckabee is a radical, right wing jackass.
As far as the Democrats go, I really like Kucinich, but since he cannot win I am in a quandry.
Hillary supports the war...forget it.
Obama met with an "ex gay" minister...strike one two and three.
He also seems to be that he will work with the Republicans. Strike four. I do not want to work with the right wing, I want them politically destroyed. So I guess I have to support Edwards. He is right on the money about "two Americas" and he is less likely to cave to conservatives.
I would love to see Ron Paul get the Republican nomination, just to get rid of the neo cons.

Nat

December 14th, 2007, 3:05 pm #4

Well Hilliary is pretty anti-war at this point- she defends her initial support by saying it was based on the information Bush gave her at the time and had she known the true situation she would not have. You can take that for what's it worth. Ron Paul is an anarchists who would devastate social and people's protection programs. The rich and powerful would do well- the rest be damned. As for Kucinich, he's too soft on immigration but has zero chance anyway. But he kind of cute and would make a great munchkin.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

December 14th, 2007, 5:33 pm #5

Kind of funny..munchkin. He has a knockout for a wife.
I will never understand that marriage.
Anyway, the problem with Hillary is that she won't win and politically she is all over the map.

Marseil
Marseil

December 14th, 2007, 6:23 pm #6

I'm really happy all of you care about the French municipal elections in 2008.

Marseil.

Nat

December 14th, 2007, 6:35 pm #7

Now Marseil, you know very well that the United States is the center of the universe and the sun and moon and stars revolve around us and you are just lucky we let France occupy some space on our planet.

Bob
Bob

December 15th, 2007, 12:33 am #8

but for different reasons than Chris.

First, he's tough on illegal immigration (whereas most of the other Repubs and -- of course! -- the Dems are soft on that issue . . I also like Tancredo for that reason).

Second, I agree with Paul that U.S. needs to pull back from all these military commitments and maintaining bases all around the world, at great expense to us. Let's bring our people home, let the rest of the world police itself, and start applying our resources to fixing our own internal problems.

I'm less convinced about the need to dismantle the Internal Revenue Service and do away with the personal income tax. Replacing the income tax with a sales or "use" tax seems to me to penalize people making purchases. And, as our entire economy is based upon constant expenditures, I think anything that penalizes purchases too severely is a recipe for trouble.

The part of Paul's message fiscally that I like is that the U.S. should do away with the Federal Reserve bank and paper ("fiat") money that is backed by nothing but the promise of the govt. At present, when the Feds decide to place us even further in debt, they just print up some additional money. If we returned to a time when something of real value (in the past, the "gold standard") backed up the value of the money, that was a much more secure system and less prone to govt abuse. Of course, there isn't enough gold to back up all the dollars in circulation, but I think we need some substitutes with real value (not sure what those would be) to back-up the value of the money.

Finally, I agree with Paul that the U.S. is carrying way too much debt, which was largely created by our endeavors into maintaining our world empire (and. I'm sure, our trade imbalance and oil imports contributed). Personally, I think we should maintain the current tax structure (I think a graduated tax is desirable, as wealthier people do have greater means to pay, and their payment does not infrige upon necessities), at least for now. What I would change is our focus upon reducing that debt. We need to start paying the debt aggressively and NOW, so that future generations of Americans will not have to struggle in this black hole of debt. I might even favor freezing the interest on the debt for a while (lest we threaten default on repayment). The interest accruing is itself unbelievable.

Sorry . . . too long . . .

Nat

December 15th, 2007, 2:49 am #9

Paul has some good ideas that I agree with- such as curtailing foreign adventurism.
But he also has a bunch of loony ideas that makes him unsuitable to be president.

It's just a pity you can't pick the best ideas from each candidate a make a composite of the perfect president. Maybe we should have different guys handle domestic and foreign policies because they are two different animals and it's hard to find one guy who is good at both.

Bob
Bob

December 16th, 2007, 2:19 am #10

Its obvious to me that politicians know what Americans want done, because you hear most of them giving lip service to those things while campaigning (and usually that's the only time). Look at all the Presidential candiadtes who are currently talking about their religious beliefs, their personal opposition to abortion, the need to emphasize education for our children and taking care of our elderly and vets, the need to reduce the debt and preserve American jobs, and of course they all SAY they are troubled by the "immigration problem". Problem is that when they enter or return to public office, that's the last you ever hear about any of those campaign declarations and promises of action. I guess they are right . . . that American voters are a bunch of foolish sheep, easily deceived . . as we mostly keep electing these lying sacks of sh!t, Dems and Repubs, and letting them keep riding the public gravy train.