What is barrel droop and

What is barrel droop and

March 30th, 2011, 2:38 pm #1

does every gun have it? Explanation? I'm looking to put a scope on and I keep hearing all this Barrel Droop talk...MY barrel doesn't look droopy, when I shoulder my M34 the sights line up perfectly and it feels perfect.

When I should a side by side shotgun and look down it, to me the barrels look like they're bowed like a banana...is that what barrel droop is?

March 30th, 2011, 5:18 pm #2

RWS designs barrel droop into their rifles thus controlling the inevitable. Barrel droop is just that it starts at where the barrel hinges and does not effect accuracy but usually requires a special mounting system for scopes. Ive heard you can fix droop usually through an experiencing gunsmith, but why bother?

I have a CZ that has massive droop and is deadly accurate.

March 30th, 2011, 9:56 pm #3

I have been and will be one of the biggest proponents agains this nonsense, EXCUSE me for what follows

only Diana has this issue incorporated into their lines and there is NO rhyme or reason since the droop can be all the way from 4 to 17 degrees, not a uniform or consistent droop from the factory

I have many Diana's and none have the barrel droop because they are dealt with extreme prejudice and corrected with the help of a 2 X 4 from Home Depot

don't need a "SPECIAL" droop compensator mount to correct the barrel droop

but if you can live with it then so be it

warren

and remember "it's 30% the gun and 70% the shooter"

March 31st, 2011, 12:48 am #4

does every gun have it? Explanation? I'm looking to put a scope on and I keep hearing all this Barrel Droop talk...MY barrel doesn't look droopy, when I shoulder my M34 the sights line up perfectly and it feels perfect.

When I should a side by side shotgun and look down it, to me the barrels look like they're bowed like a banana...is that what barrel droop is?
Droop is when the barrel does not extend out parallel to the receiver tube. Turn your gun on its side, sight down the side of the compression tube, and you can see that the barrel points downward relative to the compression tube. My 34 has droop but shoots great; my newer 350 Feuerkraft .22 has almost no droop; that is, the barrel is almost parallel its full length to the receiver tube.

RedFeather
RedFeather

March 31st, 2011, 12:51 am #5

It's all been said, a couple dozen times, but well said. Diana incorporates droop, from what has been reported by Diana, to adjust the iron sights so that they shoot within the range of their adjustments. This because so much of their market, apparently, uses iron sights. But search and have some snacks and a couple of drinks handy. There's lot to learn.

March 31st, 2011, 4:18 am #6

I have been and will be one of the biggest proponents agains this nonsense, EXCUSE me for what follows

only Diana has this issue incorporated into their lines and there is NO rhyme or reason since the droop can be all the way from 4 to 17 degrees, not a uniform or consistent droop from the factory

I have many Diana's and none have the barrel droop because they are dealt with extreme prejudice and corrected with the help of a 2 X 4 from Home Depot

warren

I agree with you Warren,

my 54 has droop, a sidelever compensation mount adjusts for 17.1 inches yet my droop isnt 17.1, there seems to be no uniformity to this droop and it's a real pain in the butt. After buying the Diana, you need to buy a compensator mount, and then buy a scope and rings.

If you use a large objective scope like I do such as a 56mm then your scope is so damn high and unless you have a longgg face your not going to get a cheek weld on the cheek piece.

My diana 31 has no droop and is a dream.

I love my Diana's for they are but I wont be buying another one.

I've been through so many different types of ring's and mounts trying to combat this droop drama that next I'm taking it into a gunsmith and letting him beat the barrel into a straight line.

No other air gun manufacture incorporates droop, and if they did I'd bet it would be one setting, not as Warren says somewhere between 4 and 17 inches, and I think it's a far greater spread than that as the UTG compensation mount for Diana break barrels is set to 20 inches.

I'd love to hear from a Diana representative why it ranges from 4-20 inches, my guess is, they wouldn't have an answer.

ZVP, I know you put up a thread saying Brands, tuners etc were winging about what people were saying on this forum about their products or services etc, I guess they don't like the truth being expressed, but we do have freedom of speach.

If they don't like it, tell them to address the issue, if they have a problem with my statement, they're welcome to email me or fly over to my house, I'll show them my Diana's and my friend's and we will all Wait for an explanation.

April 1st, 2011, 8:52 am #7

It's all been said, a couple dozen times, but well said. Diana incorporates droop, from what has been reported by Diana, to adjust the iron sights so that they shoot within the range of their adjustments. This because so much of their market, apparently, uses iron sights. But search and have some snacks and a couple of drinks handy. There's lot to learn.
Not all Diana guns have droop, my M52 doesn't exhibit any.

Droop (where present) is deliberately induced at the factory by hand (which explains the 'range of severity'). Its put there so the gun can be used with open sights & at relatively short range.

Most 10 Metre Target spring guns had droop built-in, I recently saw a 'used' HW 55 Target (I think that was the model) with a massive amount of barrel droop.

On the plus side

A skilled gunsmith could do straighten any barrel in about 10 minutes...

[/IMG]

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 1st, 2011, 7:14 pm #8

warren

(It's drooped up) and has been since new,(And no, it's not been shot while open) either,lol.

It was that way right from the factory except it has a Germise Barrel and perhaps the Chinese planned it that way,lol.

My 350 has a slight droop,but not noticeable to the eye,so it's hardly there at all.She has a German barrel too and I like that but it's choked tighter than the 12 groove.

C'Mon Diana,,take the Droop Factor out like HW has.

Ron Whitehead
Ron Whitehead

April 1st, 2011, 8:50 pm #9

Not all Diana guns have droop, my M52 doesn't exhibit any.

Droop (where present) is deliberately induced at the factory by hand (which explains the 'range of severity'). Its put there so the gun can be used with open sights & at relatively short range.

Most 10 Metre Target spring guns had droop built-in, I recently saw a 'used' HW 55 Target (I think that was the model) with a massive amount of barrel droop.

On the plus side

A skilled gunsmith could do straighten any barrel in about 10 minutes...

[/IMG]
I would think BBL droop has to do with the manufacturing process rqther than Diana incorperating it into each gun. That would add a process building the BBL assembly and be costly.
I used the 2x4 process for fixing my 34 droop a couple years ago and never looked back , Gun is accurate ,zero,s with any scope I have tried, what more could you ask for.

April 1st, 2011, 9:36 pm #10

1) & its not just you but why is a Barrel described as a 'BBL' in the US (cant make head nor tail of that).

2) How is the 'droop' part of any manufacturing process (I think your implying 'slack' workmanship) but in fact it IS a final stage of the gun making process at M & G (sometimes) and makes use of the time / labour of very highly skilled gunsmiths. To do this they use a rather more complex version of the kit shown in my photo.

The Merits / Demerits of barrel droop are not under discussion right here, I personally cant see many virtues in an enforced barrel droop, its a complete PITA I would imagine.